Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay someone explain to me how this is possible. I've siliconed the hell out of the lights so no moisture would get in. Noticed that one of the corners I siliconed is getting moisture in. So yesterday i took it back out and double teamed the silicon all over the crack where the clear meets the backside.
This morning was really foggly moisture day and what do i notice? Damn moisture inside the sidemaker i resealed. I'm about to just take a hammer at it and put the ambers back in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They might need to dry out before you reseal them, otherwise you are just going to seal the moisture in, and that won't accomplish anything.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah it sucks I had that problem until I used some trumpet slide grease, seemed to work pretty well until I had to take out the leds to swap them.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They might need to dry out before you reseal them, otherwise you are just going to seal the moisture in, and that won't accomplish anything.
[/b]
yeh they were dry when i resealed them. Now i'm thinking it might be the bulb part where it screws in to the sidemarkers because there really is no way any water can go in with how much silicone I've used.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Bummer...:( Was looking in getting one of this mod for the car.

Could someone post some pic to show how serious this problem presents?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The sidemarkers I bought were wide open around the bulb area. The bulb catches only a fraction and there is pleanty of room around it, not a tight seal by any means.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sidemarkers I bought were wide open around the bulb area. The bulb catches only a fraction and there is pleanty of room around it, not a tight seal by any means.
[/b]
yeh i put a crap load of silicon at the back around the bulb seal. noticed slight amount of moisture in it this morning. I'mma take them out this weekend and hammer it, so sick and tired of taking them out and siliconing them. You'd think for 40bux they can make a decent one that doesn't leak.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i agree, it's probably the area around the bulb. As far as i remember there is no seal around where the bulb "screws" in, so maybe trying some type of gasket / o-ring would help things there.

I wouldnt want to silicone the bulb socket to the lense... that'd make for a headache if u ever have to replace the bulb.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
yeh they were dry when i resealed them. Now i'm thinking it might be the bulb part where it screws in to the sidemarkers because there really is no way any water can go in with how much silicone I've used.
[/b]
that would be my guess as well... i have had the same problem and that is the only thing that i could come up with. I would like to silicone around the bulb connection, but then that would be a pain in the ass to reseal it every time i take my bumper off and what not.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well you can use an LED bulb and seal it in since the bulb will last the life of the car. It wouldn't be as bad if these markers wern't so pita to remove, I pop least 2 blood vessel removing them and sometimes crap in my pants.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
well you can use an LED bulb and seal it in since the bulb will last the life of the car. It wouldn't be as bad if these markers wern't so pita to remove, I pop least 2 blood vessel removing them and sometimes crap in my pants.
[/b]
Eh I don't know about that. I've had a few LED's blow out recently, the quickest was the glove box light, it's on any time the headlights are on, just like the sidemarkers. They won't last the life of the car.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had to drill and hammer the sidemarkers out. the damn silicon made it stuck on the bumper. Ambers back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts