Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think 93 octane is even offered in this area (Tennessee). So, here are my questions:

Will this car work as a daily driver, in the city, stop light to stop light?
Will I experience the loss of power problem if I don't hit the high revs?
Would I be better off with a well-equipped, MTX, 6 cylinder? (The main attraction of the Speed 6 to me is the styling & 4-wheel drive.)
Thanks,
the newest newbie.

·
Registered
294 Posts
1) It is my daily driver. No problems, drives very well. I'm in California, only 91 octane here. Again, no problems.
2) No, powerloss occurs past 4000RPM.
3) If you are just looking for a nice car to get you from point A to point B, you would be better off with an MTX 6i (4-cyl). If you are looking for sheer power in a nice package, you couldn't get any better than the Speed for the price.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I use my MS6 as a daily driver. Mostly highway. I have yet experienced the power loss issue. Probably because I don't hit the high revs. I believe the 6 mtx is a sweet car. I love the looks maybe a little more than the MS6, but I am overwhelmed by handling, power, 6 spd, AWD (although haven't experienced engagement). Now you can get a good price on the MS6. Somewhat near dealer invoice I think.

I let the car cool down for about 10-25 sec as I gather my stuff to leave car. I used to do that when I owned my 87 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. I think that has been the only difference I treated a turbo vs NA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is my daily driver -- one place of work it through stop and go: no issue -- other is a 45 mile highway drive: no issue... bought the car for the commute and love it. I will say that if you are buying it just for looks, you will lose some money in gas... lot more efficient cars out there that do NOT require 93 Octane (or 91 here in NV).

Personally it works great for me -- love the looks and use the performance.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes, I agree with all others said. For the good look and bigger hole in your pocket for the heavier fuel consumpsion go for the Speed6. Otherwise, 6i will do the job with the similar good look.

BTW, my 6i used 9.5L/100k or 24.8mpg, whilst the Speed6 uses 12.3L/100 or 19MPG under the same traffic condition.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love this car just like everyone here. Use to have Millenia 02 22MPG with combine driving C/H. I am getting 20-25MPG on this one. Hard in the city easy on the highway. Smile on my face. No power loss.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Speed is a *great* daily driver for the performance and practicality, this is the reason I bought it!. The car is very driveable around town, has 4 doors with plenty of room for 5 adults, a large trunk, and will smoke just about any car on the road. Not to mention the grip, control, and stability you have while putting the power down with the AWD in slick conditions, even with the sticky summer tires!

In Vegas a few stations carry 100 octane unleaded, which I usually mix about 4 gallons in with a topper of 91 to bump it up to about 93+. However, the car seemed to run just fine when I put a plain tank of 91 in with no powerloss.

About the only "negatives" with the Speed 6 are a bit heavier and touchier clutch (likely due to being beefed up substantially due to the hefty torque this engine dishes AND to handle the efficient transfer of power to the wheels inherent with all wheel drive). Also, gas mileage isn't spectacular (I've averaged about 17.5-19 mpg with mostly city driving with the high octane gas mixed in, plenty of foot in the sauce, plenty of warmup and cool down idle time, not to mention my car only has about 800 miles and is using the original oil, I'll report again with more miles and after I switch to synthetic oil). I usually let the car idle 30 seconds to a few minutes depending how hard a drive I've had to let the turbo cool and oil to flow back (due to recommendations from people on this site). However, you gotta pay to play, and if you're driving a car that's cranking some power out, your gas mileage is gonna suck no matter what you drive, especially with AWD. It's just plain physics.

My wife has a 6i (NA four-cylinder) with MTX. She gets fantastic gas mileage driving the same basic routes I do (however, she doesn't warm her car up in the morning before driving like I do nor does she need to idle like I do before shut-off due to the turbo). Her 6i is certainly no slouch in the power department, but when I drive it after driving my Speed, her 6i feels like it's tied to a tree. The plentiful power and AWD is well worth the extra fuel expense for me. You'll likely get a bit better gas mileage with the 6 cyl, somewhere in between the 6i and MS6.

So I guess it's up to you to decide how much performance plays in the formula for you. If you just like the look of the 6, the 6i (four cyl) or the 6s (6 cyl) might be the better choice. However if you want the POWAH! of the turbo/IC'd motor and the performance of the AWD, the few quirks of the Speed are well worth putting up with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.
I like the looks, 4WD, etc., and really want MS6 over the 6S. Just a little uncertain about the turbo. Owned lots of Mustangs, so I know the MPG story.
Again, many thanks. My local dealer has 16 MS6s & is advertising $3500 off MSRP. This being the last day of the month, I think I'll go see if he'll go lower.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I like the looks, 4WD, etc., and really want MS6 over the 6S. Just a little uncertain about the turbo. Owned lots of Mustangs, so I know the MPG story.
Again, many thanks. My local dealer has 16 MS6s & is advertising $3500 off MSRP. This being the last day of the month, I think I'll go see if he'll go lower.
[/b]
Just to add my 2 cents, I agree with these guys, it's a great daily driver if you don't mind a little extra fuel expense and dealing with a quirk or two. Otherwise, the rewards are great! I generally get in the range of 18-20 miles per gallon from scorching around town and back and forth to work mixed together. I have a 3 or 4 mile stretch of highway I use in between home and work.

I did take a trip to Dallas last weekend and I filled up before I left Dallas and filled up when I got back to Oklahoma City and believe it or not I got 29 mpg! I set the cruise at about 80 and didn't go much faster because of traffic and numerous cops. I didn't expect that kind of fuel mileage!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ill also chime in to say that I commute approx 100 miles per day overall and Ive YET to see anything lower than 24mpg. Admittedly, I cruise two lane highways but they do have some grade to them as well as snow traffic etc. Not sure if the heat is affecting the mpg or if its just everyone being an acceleration junkie.

I dont drive like a grandma though, usually 70mph and it doesnt take long to get there if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
170 Posts
[/b]
Advertising at $3500 of MSRP?! What dealer is that?

I'm looking to buy an MS6 in the VERY near future. Already have the insurance quote, preapproved loan, just need the car to go with it!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have mine as a daily driver and i love it.. i drive about 100 miles a day also and I find it to be much more comfy than any other car that I ahve used as a daily driver.... If you do not mind the gas consumption and price then go for it.. I am getting decent milage on a tank over 300 miles per tank..

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents, I agree with these guys, it's a great daily driver if you don't mind a little extra fuel expense and dealing with a quirk or two. Otherwise, the rewards are great! I generally get in the range of 18-20 miles per gallon from scorching around town and back and forth to work mixed together. I have a 3 or 4 mile stretch of highway I use in between home and work.

I did take a trip to Dallas last weekend and I filled up before I left Dallas and filled up when I got back to Oklahoma City and believe it or not I got 29 mpg! I set the cruise at about 80 and didn't go much faster because of traffic and numerous cops. I didn't expect that kind of fuel mileage!
[/b]
You should expect to see that mileage on the highway, because after all when not under boost its just a small 4 cyl.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The best I've seen so far is 25.1 mpg, cruise-control set at 75mph for 300 miles. Then again, the car had only 1200 miles on it, so it's still not quite broken in yet. It would be great to see 29mpg!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The best I've seen so far is 25.1 mpg, cruise-control set at 75mph for 300 miles. Then again, the car had only 1200 miles on it, so it's still not quite broken in yet. It would be great to see 29mpg!
[/b]
thats great mpg

·
Registered
778 Posts
I use my MS6 as a daily driver and we only have 92 octane here in Oregon. No powerloss, clutch just took time to get used too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
even when i drive the shit out of mine i see 18-19 mpg and never lower. no other car tested in the road and track's AWD review saw mpg numbers close to the advertised numbers.

·
Registered
489 Posts
even when i drive the shit out of mine i see 18-19 mpg and never lower. no other car tested in the road and track's AWD review saw mpg numbers close to the advertised numbers.
[/b]
The EPA fuel-economy test loop doesn't include driving the cars hard, especially not like car magazine editors would drive. No wonder they can't get the rated fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Most people don't realize the EPA ratings for city/highway is an average. If you look at your window sticker for your Speed6 you will notice you could get as low as 16 mpg in the speed for City. I don't recall the lowest highway rating. The highest you could get in the City is 23 mpg according to the sticker.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most people don't realize the EPA ratings for city/highway is an average. If you look at your window sticker for your Speed6 you will notice you could get as low as 16 mpg in the speed for City. I don't recall the lowest highway rating. The highest you could get in the City is 23 mpg according to the sticker.
[/b]
Actually, it appears the most people (including ourselves) don't even know how the EPA ratings are determined.

Read these links and be informed:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/a...03/article.html
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
19 Participants
FICHSTIX
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing