Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is looking to get a 2018-2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. She's looking to learn more about the cars and the purchase process - please let loose with your tips, warnings, and suggestions.

My 2016 Mazda6 Touring came with total crap tires, so I expect a new/used CX-5 will, too. She's in Atlanta, GA so All Seasons are what she's going to do. Is there a FWD CX-5?

Any secrets to finding a good one? Any special issues to watch out for? Thanks...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just realized this is probably in the wrong Sub Forum. Mods, please feel welcome to move this to "Other Mazdas." Thanks...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some people complain about the Red paint chipping and difficult to match in repair.

It is available in FWD. I would consider it if you are sure you won’t be moving north.

There is a a 2.5 turbo in the higher trim levels. The turbo should be more then enough power. The 2.5 non turbo may be underpowered.

The CX5 is the perfect SUV for anyone who likes to drive, wants an extremely reliable vehicle, doesn’t need a big honkin truck, wants all the safety equipment but doesn’t need it flashing and buzzing constantly and did I say likes to drive.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It is available in FWD. I would consider it if you are sure you won’t be moving north.
No, get the AWD, period.

The 2.5 non turbo may be underpowered.
No, its not. I had to drive the snot out of my 6 to beat my friends, which is why i was more than comfortable buying my 3 with the 2.5. Im sure its underrated.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well, your 3 weighs a bit less than my 6... and both of ours are 6mt. Your final drive is a mite taller. I don't consider my 6 quick. Decent enough for me... but as I've said before (sorry, "broken record" here, on my part) "under-endowed" by way of sub-3000 rpm torque. A turbo would do nicely, thank you :) . CX5 with 6AT for average person... probably fine.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
No, get the AWD, period.

No, its not. I had to drive the snot out of my 6 to beat my friends, which is why i was more than comfortable buying my 3 with the 2.5. Im sure its underrated.
Bet his CX5 was a 6AT. Your 3 is a 6MT. Slower than the 6AT Mazda3?... At least that is so with the Gen 3 Mazda6...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Some people complain about the Red paint chipping and difficult to match in repair.

I was told by the Mazda guy that Red is very sensitive and you can scratch it easily by just wiping it. Compared to other colors, it is difficult to "hide" the scratches.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,531 Posts
Moved.

I agree that the CX-5 is a great crossover to drive if you'd rather drive a car. Packaging is great, price is comparable, and the higher-end models are well-equipped, with interior quality and fit-and-finish that put "luxury" automakers to shame.

One concern: There's a lot of chat about the cylinder-deactivation system on the NA 2.5L models, notably that the software on certain models can be faulty, and can possibly turn the engine into a $6000 paperweight. Last I heard, it was indeed software related, but I haven't heard if Mazda had a fix yet.

All the more reason to step up to the 2.5T... :cool:

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Moved.

I agree that the CX-5 is a great crossover to drive if you'd rather drive a car. Packaging is great, price is comparable, and the higher-end models are well-equipped, with interior quality and fit-and-finish that put "luxury" automakers to shame.

One concern: There's a lot of chat about the cylinder-deactivation system on the NA 2.5L models, notably that the software on certain models can be faulty, and can possibly turn the engine into a $6000 paperweight. Last I heard, it was indeed software related, but I haven't heard if Mazda had a fix yet.

All the more reason to step up to the 2.5T... :cool:
When did the CD come out?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm not sure when it was implemented on the CX5, though. For the Mazda6 - yes, in 2018. For the Mazda3 - on SOME cars, for 2019. For all Mazda3 cars, for 2020 (including the manual transmission ones).

??

·
Registered
45 Posts
The CX-5 is a bloody brilliant machine. Get the AWD though.
This lady needs advice buying a 2018 CX5, not guy talk about how fast a Mazda 6 or 3 is or to buy a turbo car for her, come on car guys--this is for a woman who seems to have little to no experience buying a nice dependable car.
I have been driving since 1957 so I have a little experience buying cars, got screwed a few times but you learn to walk away instead of getting screwed the next time!
Now to buying a car. First figure out your possible choices, last time for me it was three. Most people just want a nice dependable car, car guys like me usually want more but you will pay for it and you do in many more ways then sticker price. Insurance on a turbo car for young people is an example, tires is another, if one fails premature, you have to replace all four for around $1000, not just one, $.60 more per gallon for premium gas is another. She will run on regular or mid level but cuts power back, why buy a turbo if you burn regular in it. Plus you are really dependent on that knock sensor to save the engine from total destruction if it malfunctions.
This was my buying experience for a new, red 2019 CX5GT we bought last year. An amazingly beautiful car that will stand out next to any car, no matter the price. At $650 more, it should stand out. This is close to the way it went down.
First I checked out my lessor choice but would be happy with it if the Mazda deal didn't work out. It's nice to have a pricing leverage for the next car you check out. So first I checked the Rav4 hybrid, I thought I would save the planet all by myself and buy one. It was a nice car, drove it, not exciting, just nice. After the test drive the lying started. First the sales person low balled my car at $7.5K (later Mazda gave me $11K). The Toyota sales person lied and so did two managers he beckoned to try their hardest to convince me about the seating called Softex, they all claimed it to be premium leather. I never heard of it, I smelled a rat but couldn't prove it till I got home to look it up. There I found out the BS about Softex, it's a form of plastic. Honestly, it's no doubt good seating or Toyota wouldn't use it but I wanted leather and when home I learned they lied. All they had to do was tell the truth! Not good for a $30K sale to happen. I already learned the hybrid uses a CVT at the dealer so with the lying about the seats and CVT, no thanks Toyota and never went back. Always be prepared to walk.
Next I went to Hyundai to look at a real nice Tucson I had checked out with leather the night before on the Internet for that dealer, the second of my 3 choices to look at and drive. Got there and that car was no where to be found, they had no other mid level Tucson's anywhere to check out and drive so left there and drove up the block to the Mazda dealer.
I had a bad experience at that Mazda dealer up the street in 2005 when shopping for our first Mazda, I was a young 65 year old back then and a lifelong car guy, the salesman treated me like a know nothing teenager, not good for him--we walked! Next day we went to another Mazda dealer, farther from home. The deal was quick, we settled on a fare price and drove it home that day. That evening, the first dealer salesman called. My wife told him we already bought a car at the other dealer that day--to bad for him. Always be prepared to walk, don't let them intimate you, walk, new or used car!
A different sales person this time for the 2019 CX5 we bought last year, it was a simple deal. I priced what our car should sell for, they offered a deal and I counter offered a thousand less and we drove the new car home that day. There were good rebates going on then. I figure I could have asked for $1,500 off but there you go, you never know unless you ask and I didn't. I did get a set of locking lugs and touch up paint in the deal.
For do-it your self-er's, I have done it but not lately, don't be afraid to ask for a discount from the parts dept if you bought the car at that dealer. I'm talking oil filters or anything expensive, all they can say is no, nothing ventured nothing gained. Talking about a case of filters, not one. It's expensive buying that many but also buying a trusted Mazda part, a good thing to have installed if you have engine issues.
Now tips on accessorizing your 2018 Mazda if bought. I bought everything for ours at Amazon, I bought great looking door threshold plates, rear security retracting cover, a stainless steel plate for on top of the rear bumper cover that overlapped the edge, chrome pieces located next to the fog lights and chrome trim strip for on top of the front end nose. The new chrome top piece compliments the bottom one to complete the oval theme. Keep it classy, don't buy to much chrome. Also bought a hood bra for it. No front end bra like on the 2014 we had.
There are many reasons to not buy an AWD turbo car so unless you really want a performance car and are willing cover all the extra expense of owning one, stick to FWD car. The FWD has enough power for most people including myself. Hit passing gear at 50 or so to pass on a two lane and she really goes. Much faster not necessary.
I have owned 5 turbo cars through the years, built one in 1980. Now I own a 2007 Speed 6 GT bought new that has AWD for those that don't know the car. AWD is an added plus for a performance car or a working vehicle, an every day car to drive to work or pleasure for this lady in Atlanta is all she needs. I had a 2007 MS3 for 10 months, it was a wild thing, great fun but to noisy for me and traded for the MS6, lost my butt on the deal. I had a sun roof installed in the MS3 and was getting afraid of stress on the roof, another reason I traded it. But then everything connected with AWD is more expensive. The really expensive one is premature tire replacement. You can't replace one tire, you have to replace all four and are left with 3 good tires you have to give away.
Lastly-#1 what I don't like about the CX5, I believe first year was 2018, is the cylinder deactivation to two cylinders at cruise. There was a Mazda recall on that system, I brought ours in to comply. I wish I could defeat it and eventually it will be figured out how by someone. It has to be controlled by vacuum because it engages at cruise with low engine load which means high vacuum.
Lastly-#2, you can't drive this car with the lift gate open or even near closed, or an ear ripping sound never turns off. I bought a door for the house, it hung out the rear so the hatch would not close. Geez, bloody awful. I was really PO'ed, I pulled over on way home and called Mazda, sorry can't help you. That's the government holding our hand nuts! I don't think our 2014 did that.
Lastly-#3 on the positive side, I love the electric rear hatch door more then I ever thought I would vs the struts our 2014 had, you can adjust it's opening to where ever you want or stop it anywhere or when closed, unlock and then easily lift it up saving the battery and close by hand too. I was surprised how much easier it is to lift then our neighbors Lexis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts