Mazda 6 Forums banner

CX-5 - Rav4 Comparison Review - 2019

928 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  huntermm 
#1 ·
#2 ·
My wife and I recently completed some CUV shopping back in October last year. Granted, our price range had us looking at nothing newer than 2016-17 models. We test drove the Forester, HRV, CRV, Crosstour, C-HR, RAV4, BMW X1, Soul, CX-3 and the CX-5.

The RAV-4 was nice, but very plain and the opposite of interesting to drive (or look at). It really was just another vanilla flavor of the CRV. Wouldn't offend anyone, but also doesn't stand out in any way.

We ended up with a 2016 CX5 GT in titanium flash mica. My wife isn't an automotive enthusiast, but this car actually has her taking a look back at it after parking. She really loves the thing.

#3 · (Edited)
My wife isn't an automotive enthusiast, but this car actually has her taking a look back at it after parking. She really loves the thing.
I've noticed this with just about every Mazda I've experienced. My 6 turns heads among my friends, coworkers, and family members, as did my first gen 3 when I had it. I think the thing Mazda just gets right is that their cars are fun to drive and look good while doing it, regardless of how "into cars" you are. My brother desperately wanted a truck until he drove my 6 and my father (who drives a base model Toyota Sienna) seems to really enjoy being in the car with me. While I don't really buy into the whole SUV/CUV thing, if I were to pick one as a daily driver it would have to be either a CX3 or a CX5.

Edit: I guess I should probably add (though this'll begin to convey how young I am), when shortly after I got my license and before I bought my first car, I spent a great deal of time driving my mom's 2017 Rav4 hybrid around. It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, and the fuel economy and spaciousness didn't go unnoticed, but overall I didn't get the same feeling I get when in a Mazda. My 2014 6 feels more premium and modern despite being a good three years older and my friend's 2014 CX-5 feels the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.