Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally worked up the courage to tackle a custom tail light modification, which involved dremel cutting, bondo, painting, trial and error, and a ton of patience. I have a 2012 GT and have two different directions I could go with (see pics). If anyone would like tips or a how-to let me know!

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,402 Posts
That looks great! Are the LEDs as bright or brighter than the stock LEDs?

If you want, feel free to post up a DIY thread in the appropriate 2nd-gen section.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks great! Are the LEDs as bright or brighter than the stock LEDs?

If you want, feel free to post up a DIY thread in the appropriate 2nd-gen section.
The light output is exactly the same, it was a happy surprise to find that the stock LEDs are already red to begin with, the additional red lens does not seem to amplify the light in any way. Mainly it seems to be there for the reflector.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Both options look great, but I would lean towards Option 2 (red lens) only because of DOT rules state that there has to be some reflective red lens on the tail.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Both options look great, but I would lean towards Option 2 (red lens) only because of DOT rules state that there has to be some reflective red lens on the tail.
Is that a CA law? The only regulation I can find for most states, including Washington, is that they have to emit a red light visible from 1000', which they do. Any reference you can provide would be helpful, I can't imagine that being nearly as illegal as tinted/black tails or those all black housings that have clear LEDs until they light up red.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts