Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has begun. Actually, for a week I have been making the fiberglass enclosures for my two subs. There is so much more to do. I will update as I make progress.

Here is the list of what is going to be installed:

elemental Designs eDi 6500 components in the front door
2 x Alpine 10" R subs
Orion 8002 2 channel amp putting out 1600 Watts max to 2 ohms
Custom fiberglass enclosures that fit above the wheel wells
Extendable/retractable amp rack under the rear deck
Knukonceptz wiring
AudioControl LC6i LOC
RAAMat and Ensonite deadener
More to come as funds allow...
Orion 4002 or 3002, not sure yet. They will power the eDi 6500
Distribution block
Big 3 upgrade

This is my very first time working with fiberglass, so I'm actually impressed with what I've done. Let's hope it holds up to the abuse. I did lots of research on making fiberglass sub enclosures. There is some good advice out there for those who want to try this. the12volt.com is one that I visited quite a bit. The proper tools will really help a bunch. Wish I had them.

I started out taping the sections I wanted to fiberglass. This was the most painful part of the job as there is no comfortable way to do this and you really need both hands at all times.

I then used Renolds Non-stick foil over the tape to ensure an easy removal of the fiberglass mold. By the way, this stuff is really non-stick. I had a very hard time putting it up cause the tape wouldn't stick to it.

Here is the fiberglass mold. A roller would have helped, but I just tapped at it with my brush to get it to lay flat. Next time I will use cloth instead of mat for this layer. It lays down WAY easier.

I was unable to get all of the tape off. Oh well, it will be there permanently when I'm done! :D

I originally wanted to have the subs pointing towards the deck, but it wasn't feasable with the rack being where it will be and as large as it is. So now they point down towards the trunk.

Here it is with a few layers of FG on the cloth. This was pretty easy. Not much difficulty here other than the mat not liking corners.

Mmmmm Bondo (some other brand, actually). Here are the finished sub enclosures. Not too bad. I actually have a little more work to do on the left enclosure (the right one in the picture). Some pits in the bondo. Anyone know where to find some perfectly matching carpet for these? I don't really want to paint them. My work isn't THAT good, yet.

Here's the idea on the amp rack.

I thought it would be not only cool, but convenient to have a rack that would extend when I wanted to adjust it or show it off. Then just put it back when I'm done, lock it in place and that's it. I bought a keyboard tray slide from HomeDepot. Its pretty heavy duty for something that only holds a couple of pounds. Good thing, because that amp is big! There are holes on each side of the slide that I will use to keep it in place while driving. I'll use thumb screws to for easy access. Don't worry, I've already painted the board.

I rented a 3" hole saw for the wire connectors in the back (I'm at a loss for what its called). Do rent. Only $4 to rent and $50 to buy! I was worried for a while. Glad they rent those puppies! Didn't get pics yet, but will tomorrow.

Thats all the progress I have for now.

Remeber folks...always add layers to the INSIDE of the box! LOL! I had to cut some out to make it fit again on the passenger side. DOH! Fiberglass mat may be stronger, but I think the combination of mat + cloth would be just fine. Plus, the cloth goes around corners and curves so much better than mat. I was astonished how easy it was to work with cloth.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sam

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Here's what it is going to look like when I'm done. I haven't attached the shelf yet, its just sitting on the sub enclosures. BTW, they will stay that way for a while until I can find exact matching carpet for them.

Steal my ideas away!!! I'll take that as a compliment.

Sam

·
Registered
381 Posts
keep up the good work!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is very cool. i wish i knew how to fiberglass!
[/b]
You probably know as much about fiberglass right now as I did before I tried doing this. Its really not that hard. Ok, yes it is hard, but mostly its getting used to working in the time frame the resin gives you and learning as you go. At least you can fix mistakes.

go to the12volt.com to research and you will learn quite a bit. I have to slow down now, my wife is noticing I'm spending way more time with the car than her! Shouldn't be too much work now anyway. I think I'm done with the hardest part.

I did get the thumb screws today at the hardware store. They are perfect! I had to buy a tap to thread the holes in the keyboard slides and now it works awesome!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks great!

I was originally thinking I might want to do an amp rack in my install but had decided against it thinking I might not be able to do it myself.

Seeing it installed in your car makes think I can do it. Looks like a weekend trip to the Depot is in order.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
alright... let's get this clear.. im not a system guy.. if it were up to me.. my center counsol would be all carbonfiber and i wouldnt have anything but my awesome engine to listen to.... but i have to give credit where credit is due..
i tryed fiberglassing once and it turned out like shit! so your first time looking as good as it does..! awesome! great work man!

as far as carpet... it's the trunk! you should just get your own color carpet to make it stand out(redue the rears of the seats with your carpet! it would look pretty sick! red.. black.. etc etc..

oh.. and for your amp rack...

good idea as well..

what would be even cooler.. is get oen of these..

a linear actuator.. and have a switch mounted in the trunk or wherever to make it slide out.. really a easy thing to make and do.. if you have 100 extra bucks to spare..

this is where i get all my stuff for my custom projects..

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.p...;products_id=31

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chambers, thank you!

I wanted to motorize it from the beginning, but couldn't find anything on my search. That's exactly what I was looking for! Awesome!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is :(

The right side of the trunk is larger in general if you look at it. Plus, trying to get the driver side sub ring in place was WAY hard. After 5 times of trying to get the ring where I wanted it, I gave up and left it there.

·
Registered
548 Posts
looks really good though. I really like the setup. Make sure and post pics once you get everything installed!!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Fiberglassing takes a lot of patience and can be fixed where mistakes are made - most of the time.

What i find the msot hardest to do is getting it perfect smooth. I always have dips, bumps, pinholes.

I bought a new mix but never got to use it. Supposed to be like liquid bondo or fiberglass, I cannot remember.

Here are pics from my old Mazda6:

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I'm stuck. My eDi's won't fit in my door without cutting the hole bigger. I'm trying to avoid something like that. Now I'm looking into getting some kick panels. Anyone know where I might find some? If I have to, I guess I can make them myself.

Thanks!
Sam

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Made some speaker mounts out of 1/2" plywood. I had no idea I would be able to fit them in there. I did have to trim the door panel, but no big deal. I was also surprised to be able to fit the crossover in there. I didn't want to mount it in the door, so its between the door and the panel. More room than I thought.

The passenger side is deadened and new speakers are in place, all but the tweeter. Its hanging on the door until I get the other side done and can properly aim them. It may look tacky, but I'm surface mounting them over the stock tweeter. I want the car looking just like it did when I do trade it in. Door is much more solid and the right side much more precise with the new speakers.

WARNING!!!!
Be careful when taking off the inner door panel. It is connected to the window. Scared the shit out of me when I tried rolling the window up again. It was all crooked and was jamming. A few pulls to straighten it out and it was able to roll up again.

BTW, here is a pic of my subs installed.

I'll be taking them out tomorrow to install the new tee nuts I bought today as well as changing out the wires. I got some kicker 15ga for them. I needed longer wires on the left and I might as well be symetrical in color for both.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I got the left door done today. I'm happy with the eDi's, though I think they would sound better in a kick and with power from an amp. For now this will do.

Here's a pic I took part way through deadening the door.

Here's a pic of the Ensonite.

Here's pics of the tweeters.

The tweeters look ok when the doors are closed, but like ass when they are open. Hopefully, the tape holds them in place. I'm not sure if I got them aimed correctly, it seems like its louder on the left side. I also didn't Ensonite the passenger side and there is a huge difference when I tap on the door. That stuff does a wonderful job.

I have enough deadener to do one more area. Which one will help with road noise the most?
Rear doors
Entire floor
Trunk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts