Mazda 6 Forums banner

Custom Subwoofer Boxes

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JayinMI 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I searched the forum and could not find anyone who has done a custom subwoofer box for the 2013+ 6. Does anyone have a idea/pic of custom made boxes. Need some help deciding how to make mine for my six.

#2 ·
I recently finished building a box for my 2016 6. Initially I tried a larger pre-fab box for a 12" sub which I modified but it took up too much space and the sound was not what I wanted.

I had a previous box I had built for my Boston G3 10" - about 1.25 cubes internal ported to ~35Hz - but it also took up a lot of space and secure mounting was an issue.

Next I tried a fiberglass mold into the rear quarter of the trunk but even after several layers it became apparent it wasn't going to be rigid enough.

Final box is about the same internal volume as my old one for the Boston G3, but shaped so it wedges into the rear quarter. I painted it with blue base coat then a color match from automotivetouchup.com then clearcoat. Inside there's a little Dyanamat Extreme and cotton batting.

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm surprised you found the fiberglass not to be rigid enough. I just finished building a simple sealed fiberglass box for my 89 Civic hatchback a few weeks ago. It took me about 4 layers of fiberglass and wound up well over 1/4" thick - very very rigid. Used one of the "budget" RF 10" Prime subs with a final internal volume of right about .66 cubic feet (calculated with packing peanuts). The entire project cost me $200 total, even including the carpet, cheapo Boss amp, amp wiring kit - everything, and it sounds awesome and kept most of my useful hatchback space. I sat on all the parts for 2 years so hopefully it won't take me so long to get around to doing one on the Mazda. These are pictures from my Civic job but it's literally the exact same procedure no matter the car.

#6 ·
The problem with larger fiberglass boxes (I was aiming for 1.25 net cubes internal) is rigidity becomes more of an issue. For small boxes with irregular/curved shapes, fiberglass is a good choice.

From experimenting, firing the sub toward the back of the car, close to the trunk opening had the best response.

Unfortunately, the stock system response cuts off below ~35Hz (electrical signal, not acoustic response). I'm not aware of a preamp signal with non-Bose system.

Reactions: Jdaniels
#7 ·
Sorry guys i neglected this post. Still haven't gotten around to making a sub box for my 6. Kept my 2 12" in the box it came with. Still wishing to make the box but after i get it repaired since i got rear ended. Thanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.