Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my upcoming possibly megasquirt project, i was thinking that i should finally get an intake. After looking around, nothing that i seemed to be what i want to use for such a project. So I decided to make my own. I have a guy who is willing to mandrel bend the tubing for me as long as i have either a diagram or some sort of explanation of how it should be bent. AutoCad would be the best for me. I was planning on using 3" tubing with matching size filter. I know i'm going to have plenty of people replying with "why don't you just buy one". I want an intake without a MAF hole and i want it to be huge which from what i can tell, hasn't been made yet. If you have some sort of Autocad drawing of it, that would be even better. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Your an idiot.

1) Your car will spit CEL's left and right

2) You might err probably will ruin your engine due to the lack of proper A/F ratios.

Let us know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You have to have a MAF hole for the MAF sensor, else your car wont even run for 2 seconds before it dies. Go out and unplug your maf right now and start your car, see what happens..

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You can't "NOT" have a maf... so your car will not even run.
[/b]
Maybe it will. He needs one of those micro fans ppl use to cool themselves off blowing at the MAF so it thinks its getting air flow :) I bet he'll see massive gains since the MAF will read normal readings but tons of extra air will pour into the engine. BOOOM :drool:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Then I fully retract my previous post.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I want an intake without a MAF hole....
[/b]

you're planning on using the integrated MAP on the MS? Doesnt it need a sensor somewhere in the airstream to measure density?

Are you planning to use the MS as a piggy-back fuel manager, or total standalone?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Get some stupid ass peps in this thred eh?

Good luck. With your build. I think it might be a great idea, especially if you can get it done cheap. You might possibly make a much better intake for cheaper than the ones everyone gets now. After all a pipe is a pipe... HEHE

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hadn't heard anything about CP-E and Megasquirt.

The map sensor I have seen has used a small flexible vacuum hose so i don't need a giant (in comparison to the MAF) hole, rather a 1/4" bung to attach said hose.

I COULD have it done either way. I WANT it to be stand-alone. MONEY might dictate which way it ends up going.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how do you plan on controlling closed loop with no MAF sensor?[/b]
I personally don't have an answer for this question. My assumption is that megasquirt will be capable of handling such a task by other means. If the contour uses the same style fuel system, than he definitely has means of controlling it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not to be a douche, but does anyone actually have any info they could share with me about the intake????

·
Registered
4 Posts
can't you just buy mandrel bent tubing and cut and weld it to fit?
Good luck with the megasquirt it has controls for closed loop, I dont know what it is, but being as VW Audi person I've seen lots of it in the past.
...remember fuel injection has been around alot longer than MAF's have been. Be a little more open minded.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I personally don't have an answer for this question. My assumption is that megasquirt will be capable of handling such a task by other means. If the contour uses the same style fuel system, than he definitely has means of controlling it.
[/b]
You'd need some way to measure the incoming air to properly adjust the a/f. I suppose it could be done with a wideband, though I don't know how optimal that would be for fast fuel adjustments in closed loop.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Not to be a douche, but does anyone actually have any info they could share with me about the intake????
[/b]
What info are you looking for? How it should be bent? That would be entirely up to you. The fewer the bends the better and the less severe they are the better.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
As for the intake, why are none of the available ones good fro your project? If you must make your own custome, do as few bends as possible, but it should still go through the same hole that the aftermarket ones do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
TheMaz39
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing