Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a photo I took of my car. I have seen many cars with this grouping of buttons with so many empty spots and I have never heard of anyone doing anything with them. I don't even know what they are called but I would absolutely LOVE to be able to use them as toggle switches for anything I want them to control. Any information on these buttons would be great. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,231 Posts
They're not actual buttons, but blanks. You would need to find buttons or switches to put in place of them. Getting to that panel isn't too difficult either, so if you're willing to cut into the plastic blanks it can make for some clean installs.
What Zeffer said. I had this same "problem" with my old Corolla - I ended up getting a small toggle switch, wired it into place, and stuck it through a small hole I cut in one of those blanks.

Used it for turning the capacitor on/off for my woofers depending on my needs.

On the GT, all those slots are taken up by things like BSM, ABS, TPMS, etc.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
What Zeffer said. I had this same "problem" with my old Corolla - I ended up getting a small toggle switch, wired it into place, and stuck it through a small hole I cut in one of those blanks.

Used it for turning the capacitor on/off for my woofers depending on my needs.

On the GT, all those slots are taken up by things like BSM, ABS, TPMS, etc.
Byakuya over here with his fancy schmancy not-blank buttons!!

When I did my Maxima's footwell lights, I used a blank dud switch in the middle console under the armrest to mount the switch. Easily one of my cleanest aftermarket installs if I do say so myself.

If you can find something like a grand touring button collection, you'll get actual clickable items but they might all be connected to a single harness, which could add some complications. Best bet is to get just small buttons and dremel out the plastic. Here's a link to remove the "cluster switch," as it's called.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information and name of the cluster, Zeffer/Byakuya. And the link to how to remove said cluster. I'll try and tear into there and see how easy it would be to make a nice little switch area there. I would love to get the GT version of that cluster and wire up the ones my Sport doesn't use as switches for interior lights and fog lights and other fun things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts