Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally planned on waiting for Cobb to release their AP before I started modding, but have been getting impatient here lately. I'm looking into a custom made cat-back exhaust for now, 3" in diameter, single outlet (I don't care how it looks even when it's cold outside lol) and was wondering if anyone has had one made? If so, about how much did it set you back? Were the gains noticable? I don't suppose anyone has a sound clip?

I'm aware that the biggest restrictions in pretty much any exhaust system are the cat(s), which would be eliminated with a downpipe, but I'd like to holdoff on getting a DP until Cobb's AP is released, mostly because if it's like their other AP's I'll be able to toggle off the CEL code, which would take down on my paranoia level :D I've also considered a CAI, but have to drive through a couple areas on my way to work that sometimes get around 1 ft. of standing water after a hard rain/when a heavy snow starts to melt. So given those circumstances I figured a cat-back would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I had originally planned on waiting for Cobb to release their AP before I started modding, but have been getting impatient here lately. I'm looking into a custom made cat-back exhaust for now, 3" in diameter, single outlet (I don't care how it looks even when it's cold outside lol) and was wondering if anyone has had one made? If so, about how much did it set you back? Were the gains noticable? I don't suppose anyone has a sound clip?

I'm aware that the biggest restrictions in pretty much any exhaust system are the cat(s), which would be eliminated with a downpipe, but I'd like to holdoff on getting a DP until Cobb's AP is released, mostly because if it's like their other AP's I'll be able to toggle off the CEL code, which would take down on my paranoia level :D I've also considered a CAI, but have to drive through a couple areas on my way to work that sometimes get around 1 ft. of standing water after a hard rain/when a heavy snow starts to melt. So given those circumstances I figured a cat-back would be a good place to start.
[/b]

i didnt go as far up as the cat, i went slightly before the rear diff. which is maybe 1 1/2 ft further back. 3inch piping. cost 80 bucks. gains were alright. intake helps too a bit. no CEL.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt go as far up as the cat, i went slightly before the rear diff. which is maybe 1 1/2 ft further back. 3inch piping. cost 80 bucks. gains were alright. intake helps too a bit. no CEL. [/b]
How is it without mufflers as far as sound is concerned? Rediculously loud?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I paid $800 to get my SS 3" turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler out the passenger side. They cut the flange off the stock DP and put it on the new one.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
borla xr-1 muffler $133 for the 16" muffler
10 feet of ss 3" $100
flange $10
hangers Free
haveing a buddy who is a profesional welder
priceless :D

so total cost on my 3" stainless cat back was $243

borla xr-1 is loud, but the note is amazing this is not my car but it is the main reason i went with borla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-d4e46mEs

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
borla xr-1 muffler $133 for the 16" muffler
10 feet of ss 3" $100
flange $10
hangers Free
haveing a buddy who is a profesional welder
priceless :D

so total cost on my 3" stainless cat back was $243

borla xr-1 is loud, but the note is amazing this is not my car but it is the main reason i went with borla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-d4e46mEs [/b]
I wish I had a friend that was a professional welder :(

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How is it without mufflers as far as sound is concerned? Rediculously loud?
[/b]
I found it very loud without mufflers. We tried it open from 2nd cat back when I had my custom put in. There are several earlier threads on custom exhausts. Try searching using a few different terms like "custom exhaust", "single outlet", "CP-E exhaust", etc. I've sent you a PM as well.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hey thats my car on youtube...sadly enough though, the exhaust is all back to stock now :( the dealer was a dick and wouldn't touch my car until I removed it and my intake...so she's all stock again, but I think I'm gonna go with the magnaflow, mostly because its easier to bolt up and take off if the dealer complains about it...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hey thats my car on youtube...sadly enough though, the exhaust is all back to stock now :( the dealer was a dick and wouldn't touch my car until I removed it and my intake...so she's all stock again, but I think I'm gonna go with the magnaflow, mostly because its easier to bolt up and take off if the dealer complains about it...
[/b]
Sorry to hear that PlatinumMS6. My dealer has said they're okay with mods but if the mod caused the problem it wouldn't be under warranty. Of course I haven't had any warranty claims yet. Time will tell. Could you find a more open minded dealer, or is this the only one nearby?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Probably not that much, its the muffler that reduces the sound, so basically to make it quieter you need a quieter muffler an additional muffler or you can add a resonator along with the muffler...but the drawback will be, the more restrictive the flow, the less power the setup will make...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I went to a exhaust shop yesterday to get an estimate on a single 3", SS, cat back with no mufflers and they told me it would be at least $600. I told him I could get the CP-E one with a muffler for the same price; he then informed me that they use higher quality SS and CPE probably uses cheaper stuff. I quickly removed my chin from the floor and walked out. Still searching though...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I know that different grades of steel exist, but saying that is just plain false, imo...but everybody has to justify cost somehow i guess...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Go with a 3 inch cat-back into a dual setup with straight through canisters, unless you have your car lowered heavily, then use a straight throuh oval similar to the Borla XR-1. The custom piping job should cost about 200, plis the cost of the mufflers.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keep in mind that the price can raise dramatically if you are talking about mandrel bent tubing compared to crush/crinkle bent. If the shop does not have a mandrel bender on site and you request it they can weld together straight and mandrel bent pieces from off the shelf but that will be expensive too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I know that different grades of steel exist, but saying that is just plain false, imo...but everybody has to justify cost somehow i guess...
[/b]
That is what I thought; I mean come on to me stainless is stainless...it won't rust out no matter how thick it is. I still don't think that it should cost as much as the CP-E, but I guess I am going to go with the CP-E...no to go with or without a muffler???

·
Registered
788 Posts
My exhaust wasn't mandrel bent and while I know heat dissipation is one of the main reasons to use mandrel bent stainless steal as well as less flow restriction having no crinks, I really saw a noticeable increase even without having mandrel bent exhaust piping...also I don't really think i'm going to have the car long enough to worry about the welds rusting out, lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My exhaust wasn't mandrel bent and while I know heat dissipation is one of the main reasons to use mandrel bent stainless steal as well as less flow restriction having no crinks, I really saw a noticeable increase even without having mandrel bent exhaust piping...also I don't really think i'm going to have the car long enough to worry about the welds rusting out, lol
[/b]

I guess that is just gonna suck for the next guy in line to buy your car after you then. Great way to look at it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I wish I had a friend that was a professional welder :(
[/b]
we would be more than happy to do welding or any other custom work, we are in stillwater Mn and we work cheep since we dont have much more than a 2 car garage to work out of :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
So I'm supposed to be worried about someone else thats buying my car down the road by spending an extra $400 dollars on an exhaust that hasn't been proven to be any better than normal exhaust piping? I don't live some in a cold weather climate, the chances of the exhaust rotting out from rust isn't really an issue, besides, I have a fully intact stock exhaust system which would most likely be put back on the car if i were to sell it anyways, because most people would rather buy a car stock and the value tends to be more if its in stock trim for the most part...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.