Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to go with a local shop here in town to fabricate a dual 3" cat-back exhaust for me. The guy is damn good and says he can do it, but has not yet given me a price. Eventually I am gonna add on a CP-E down pipe.

My question is, I'm looking for a set of mufflers to put on the piping, but do not want the classic bumblebee sound. I want a lower pitched growl sound, but not too loud. Can anyone suggest a good set of mufflers to use for this? I was thinking of going with Aero Exhaust, but really just want something that will give a nice deep exhaust note without sounding like a bumblebee inside a coffee can or something so I am not too picky with what brand I get.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have decided to go with a local shop here in town to fabricate a dual 3" cat-back exhaust for me. The guy is damn good and says he can do it, but has not yet given me a price. Eventually I am gonna add on a CP-E down pipe.

My question is, I'm looking for a set of mufflers to put on the piping, but do not want the classic bumblebee sound. I want a lower pitched growl sound, but not too loud. Can anyone suggest a good set of mufflers to use for this? I was thinking of going with Aero Exhaust, but really just want something that will give a nice deep exhaust note without sounding like a bumblebee inside a coffee can or something so I am not too picky with what brand I get.
[/b]
I went with a 3" x 12" Length x 4" Diameter Quad Core muffler from Kooks Custom Headers. It is very similar to the CP-E muffler. You can mount it right after the second cat. Then your custom exhaust guy can either route it for a single exhaust or make a custom "Y" like my custom guy did for a dual exhaust. it woun't sound like a bumble bee because turbo cars don't sound that way.

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/product_...304%20STAINLESS

·
Registered
721 Posts
ya the bumble bee sound comes typically from smaller displacement (<2.0L) NA applications. Turbo cars sound different. Any solidly built straight through muffler with lots of suppression material will work. Knock on the canister of a few options, the heavier the thud the more dense the material. which is good. I used Vibrant universal this time but was happy with Magnaflow universals on previous applications.

I put a resonator in line after the cat with the muffler at the exit and have a nice low growl. putting the muffler before the Y pipe will be a bit louder as the exhaust note has time to amplify before it leaves the exhaust pipe, but putting it on in the stock position will muffle the sound just as it leaves. It's personal preference really.e

·
Registered
788 Posts
I used a straight muffler made by Borla, 3" in/out. I think it sounds pretty good. Sounds like a strong turbo car...not really that ricey and not raspy either, I'll try and get some sound clips for you guys if you want...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I used a straight muffler made by Borla, 3" in/out. I think it sounds pretty good. Sounds like a strong turbo car...not really that ricey and not raspy either, I'll try and get some sound clips for you guys if you want...
[/b]
sounds clips would be sweet

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah I just got this new webcam made by microsoft, the vx-6000, its supposed to be 1.3 megapixel video, so we'll see how that will work and I have a digital camera that does video too, we'll see which one works better...

·
Registered
788 Posts
is there a size limit on attachments? I am trying to upload the video I took of the exhaust so you guys can hear it...
Also the exhaust is borla's XR1 racing exhaust, 3" in/out and 5" round i believe...

·
Registered
788 Posts
still not sure about uploading the video...anyone?

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hey great work man! I think it's a little bit too agressive for me but it sounds real nice. I think I am gonna use this muffler on the stock system and just shave the end mufflers. Going with the cutout for performance!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah I know its kinda loud, I still like the way it sounds though, but I tell you, you just can't replace hearing it in person, its much better that way...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I can take a picture of the muffler location tomorrow, but to give you an idea its basically welded right in place of the second cat. I just had them cut the flange off and weld this muffler in place...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts