Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i doubt there's a lot of hope for this but i figured i'd ask anyway. had to take a few hours to calm down before posting this too or i probably would have been banned for the rant. i'm still pretty pissed but i've calmed down enough to post.

i was driving home from a friends house and this dumb bitch in an suv starts merging over into my lane and out of instinct i slam the breaks and swerve over. i swerved too much and hit the curb. i HATE stupid drivers with a passion! both of my right wheels are curbed aobut a 1/3 of the way around and i'm VERY pissed about it. i dont think i messed up my alignment so that's good. i've been sideswiped before (in my old car) and then the lady tried to blame me and since we had differant stories we both ended up paying for our own cars so i didn't want that to happen, especially to the 6.

i'd really prefer not to have to take it to a wheel shop but that's probably the only way. i've heard of people using sand paper and bondo, then painting over it to match but i'm not sure that would work. i've seen it on cars before where it's turned out perfectly, but they were all on audi's or vw's where you can buy the paint that is used on the wheels. is there anyway to minimize how much the curb rash sticks out? it's making me sick already seeing it. first scratch on my 6 and i'm extremely pissed over it. being a broke college student buying new wheels or paying $250+ to have them fixed is not really an option. maybe for christmas but not now. sounds like a perfect excuse to get some rx-8 rims but that's not an option right now either. i know it's probably a long shot to be able to fix them or atleast hide it without being done by a professional but i thought it was at least worth a shot. hopefully somebody here knows more than me and has a fix.

EDIT: is there any possible way that i could claim insurance and have them pay to fix or buy new rims? i know my dad has had some work done on both his rx-8 and g35 paid for by insurance for things that weren't his fault. the g35 got paintballed and it got baked on and ruined the clear coat and top coat of paint, so it was sanded down and repainted. the rx-8 picked up a large scratch and small dent from a rock off the back of a truck. how much should i expect my premiums to go up if i try to claim insurance? if they would stay the same i might just do that. i can't deal with curbed rims, looks like shit and i know i'm going to notice it every time i see my car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
sounds like a perfect excuse to get some rx-8 rims
[/b]
Nothing worse...for people who take pride in their car.
I actually would consider getting rid of a car with gutter rash.....but you answered it yourself RX-8 WHEELS ARE THE GO. Wheel shops, however, can do magic especially with OE wheels, and usually pretty reasonably. A mate of mine had his garish chrome wheels rashed. It was cheaper to buy new ones .

·
Registered
799 Posts
hate to tell ya, I just put a few very small marks into one of my wheels and I went to four different shops and from all of them it worked out to be cheaper to buy a new wheel then have them fix it.

It might take finding the right shop, so good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the link for DIY
[/b]
thanks man. i've seen that before, i'm just worried about the paint matching up correctly. you wouldn't know where i can find some paint that is the same color as our wheels?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
thanks man. i've seen that before, i'm just worried about the paint matching up correctly. you wouldn't know where i can find some paint that is the same color as our wheels?
[/b]
even if it dosent match perfectly you still wont be able to tell that much. its better than having the rash on the wheel.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice write up. I need to fix my stock wheels too. But don't forget to rebalance your wheels. The bondo and paint may have changed the center of gravity.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Or you could take a different approach and paint all of them a different color like my friend did.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108544
I don't know what color car you have, so i don't have any suggestions for color to use. It only took us 2 nights to sandblast, paint, and clearcoat all 4 rims in my garage with no proffesional equiment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If youre prone to curbing your rims I'd go with painted wheels. Its fairly easy to fill scrapes with bondo sand and repaint. I did that with my wife's car. Silver painted wheels and I would just touch them up when she had a fight with a curb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts