Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyonce in a while, first to second, or second to third, mainly those two, have a somewhat, crunchy feeling going in. Sometimes they just slide in smooth...

If that happens should I be worried? My car was a test car for its first 200 miles, and right now its at 1600 (I got it at 215 miles.)

Or should I just wait a coupla hundred more miles for it to break in further? I've occassionally taken it over 5.5k rpm, but never redlined it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Everyonce in a while, first to second, or second to third, mainly those two, have a somewhat, crunchy feeling going in. Sometimes they just slide in smooth...

If that happens should I be worried? My car was a test car for its first 200 miles, and right now its at 1600 (I got it at 215 miles.)

Or should I just wait a coupla hundred more miles for it to break in further? I've occassionally taken it over 5.5k rpm, but never redlined it.
[/b]
i have a 05 6s MTX 18,000 miles and i have noticed this mainly from 2nd into 3rd. i have had noticed that it happens more often when its cold outside and as the temp goes up it seems to do it less. i do agree with you though there are times when it slides in perfectly smooth. i have asked one of my buddies about it and he said he wouldnt really worry about it and if something happens its still under warrenty so dont worry.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just worried about the synchros crunching. I mean, most of the time it goes in smooth if I slowly punch it into gear. However, sometimes when pulling out, I need to get up to speed quicker, so I have to shift quicker and then the crunchy thing happens and I just don't want any damage.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
please help?

I'd like a second opinion to back up the one that said that the crunchy shifting affects my tranny or not. If it does, is there any way to get rid of it? Changing tranny fluid perhaps?

·
Registered
347 Posts

[/b]
Does it happen all the time or does it happen after a cold start? You live in Michigan, it's pretty cold there, so crunchy shift is more often in colder climates. Also check the fluid level. You can also upgrade to Redline oil, it will make the shifting smooth, VERY. You car is still very new, I would suggest you go to the dealer and let them take a look, warranty is good when you still have it.

i have a 05 6s MTX 18,000 miles and i have noticed this mainly from 2nd into 3rd. i have had noticed that it happens more often when its cold outside and as the temp goes up it seems to do it less. i do agree with you though there are times when it slides in perfectly smooth. i have asked one of my buddies about it and he said he wouldnt really worry about it and if something happens its still under warrenty so dont worry.
[/b]
You have that clutch judder problem, there is a TSB to fix that issue. Go to a good dealer, they can replace it for you.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You can also upgrade to Redline oil, it will make the shifting smooth, VERY.
[/b]
i'm up in the air on this one. i've heard redline does make shifting smoother, but i recall a thread in the "engine" subforum and the op had posted pics of the damage redline did. very scary. i'll try and find it....

EDIT: found it

·
Registered
83 Posts
You have that clutch judder problem, there is a TSB to fix that issue. Go to a good dealer, they can replace it for you.
[/b]
what is the clutch judder problem? could you explain it more to me so i can talk to a dealer about it more in depth and not sound like an idiot not really knowing what im talking about. also what is a TSB? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
what is the clutch judder problem? could you explain it more to me so i can talk to a dealer about it more in depth and not sound like an idiot not really knowing what im talking about. also what is a TSB? Thanks.
[/b]

tsb = technical service bulletin. learn more about clutch judder/tsbs here

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it happen all the time or does it happen after a cold start? You live in Michigan, it's pretty cold there, so crunchy shift is more often in colder climates. Also check the fluid level. You can also upgrade to Redline oil, it will make the shifting smooth, VERY. You car is still very new, I would suggest you go to the dealer and let them take a look, warranty is good when you still have it.
[/b]
Sometimes, I'll drive for over an hour and it slides in smoothly.

however, someimtes it'll be extremely crunchy and I just hate the feel. I really do hope something isn't wrong. How much does Redline cost, and what kind should I get?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edit: The crunching is starting to get more and more frequent. Unfortunately its almost christmas so I can't get to my local Mazda dealer. should I stop driving it? Or is it okay? Will it cause any long term damage if I keep driving it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem otherwise try shifting slower. I took mine in for the same problem and they put in MT-90 synthetic under warranty (free of charge).

I still have the same problem, just less of it.

Edit: The crunching is starting to get more and more frequent. Unfortunately its almost christmas so I can't get to my local Mazda dealer. should I stop driving it? Or is it okay? Will it cause any long term damage if I keep driving it?
[/b]

·
Registered
347 Posts
i'm up in the air on this one. i've heard redline does make shifting smoother, but i recall a thread in the "engine" subforum and the op had posted pics of the damage redline did. very scary. i'll try and find it....

EDIT: found it
[/b]
That idiot used Redline MTL while you should use Redline MT-90, Redline MT-90 meets the Mazda specification.

Sometimes, I'll drive for over an hour and it slides in smoothly.

however, someimtes it'll be extremely crunchy and I just hate the feel. I really do hope something isn't wrong. How much does Redline cost, and what kind should I get?
[/b]
I got mine for like $6 a quart during a sale, you can try www.myoilshop.com, you should get Redline MT-90.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It shouldn't be a problem otherwise try shifting slower. I took mine in for the same problem and they put in MT-90 synthetic under warranty (free of charge).

I still have the same problem, just less of it.
[/b]
did you pay anything?

edit: I'm a dumbass, sorry. How long did it take?

That idiot used Redline MTL while you should use Redline MT-90, Redline MT-90 meets the Mazda specification.
I got mine for like $6 a quart during a sale, you can try www.myoilshop.com, you should get Redline MT-90.
[/b]
thanks a lot.

i just hope warrenty kicks in and I don't have to pay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.