Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
6-speed tranny

The 6-speed tranny is gets weak with age. I took mine to Eagle Transmission and they rebuilt my tranny. Mine broke just turning left and accelerating. Felt a big tug and no matter what gear got no grabbing. Cost me 3,000!! Including exhaust replacment!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new 6 speed ATX in the 2005 Mazda 6s's use a Toyota Type T-IV fluid known as JWS3309. This fluid can not mix with Mercon or Dexron fluids. A single half a cup of the WRONG fluid will completely destroy the transmission by causing the clutch packs to lock up, requiring a complete rebuild of the transmission to restore functionality.

The fluid is "supposedly" gold (I originally said blue) in color, and should not be mistaken for the standard red colored Mercon V fluid. Regardless, please make sure both the dealer, and whatever service department your using (especially quickie lubes as they sometimes "top off" fluids), is aware of this difference, and that failure to adhere to the stock fluid specifications WILL RESULT in TRANSMISSION FAILURE.

Once again, this only applies to the 6 speed 2005 Mazda 6s Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission.
I bought my 2006 3.0L 6spd ATX with 9k miles on it 7 years ago. When I did my tranny fluid flush last year, the stock fluid was red.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure that this deserves to be [Sticky] anymore. The Mazda owners manual correctly calls for T-IV fluid and now that a decade has passed, it appears to be readily available. I bought Motomaster Synthetic from Canadian Tire and it meets it.
I just changed ~3L of it out, today for the first time EVER and I'll continue changing whatever comes out until I've put my 10L in. My car has 130,000 km on it and the fluid actually still looked "fine" and most importantly, didn't stink. It's obviously not new but I recall seeing tons of roasted fluid when I used to work at a lube shop and mine still looks OK.
I just can't believe how easy it was to change. I'd have done it years ago if this thread didn't frighten me so much about finding the exact, right fluid.
Once I started shopping a bit, I found some, right away. Stealership did appear to spec the wrong fluid, though! They pulled out Ford bottles and said it'd be the same as a Fusion and that the 2005 6-stored was NOT unique in any way. Their bottle did not say T-iv, so I didn't buy it. It said "F21 6-speed transmission meets Ford WSS-M2C924-A."
At any rate, I'd consider dropping the [Sticky].

61 - 65 of 65 Posts