Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Originally posted by Philter25@Sep 9 2005, 09:29 AM
I read he was lucky to find it at a mom and pop store.

I sent my dealership a fax of the PDF file of the warning I downloaded off 6tech.

I guess I need to go to a Toyota dealership to pick up the fluid?
[snapback]503788[/snapback]​
I got the Ford equivalent at the Ford Dealership. It's a Motorcraft brand in a red quart bottle. Damn thing cost $6.02 including tax.

I haven't checked yet but I would have to assume it says what type of fluid to use in the Manual.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
So I got off the phone with my dealership, they havent received the bulletin. I faxed him over a copy of the one I downloaded from October of 2004 and they havent received it.

They were confused and didnt know what fluid came in the stock 2005s. Im assuming the stock 2005 6 speeds come with the Toyota Fluid?

Also, are all the fluids listed, the Toyota, Ford, Volvo, GM and Mobil all the same exact fluid with just different names?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
So I got home from work, pulled out the dipstick, and sure enough right on the dipstick it says T-IV and right in the owners manual it says T-IV.

Therefore I felt like being a smartass. Earlier in the day, I called Brown's Mazda and asked them the same exact question. The guy on the phone told me "if you put anything other than Mercon-V in your transmission, you will void the warranty."

After I got home from work and checked the dipstick, I made sure to head over to Browns, find the guy who said that to me on the phone, took him out to my car, let HIM pull out the dipstick and I had him read it back to me.

"T-IV, what the F is that" he said.

I then replied "well, I dont want to void the warranty, so I think im going to go home and do a flush and fill with Mercon-V."

He then looked stupid and asked his service manager, who had no idea what the hell it was.

I went to the Toyota dealership and they sell T-IV fluid in their parts department incase anyone is wondering. It cost 5 bucks.

Anyways, thats a ton crossbow for posting these things to us. If it wasnt for this, I would have put Mercon-V in my tranny after installing the cooler. :yesnod:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Originally posted by Philter25@Sep 9 2005, 05:27 PM
So I got home from work, pulled out the dipstick, and sure enough right on the dipstick it says T-IV and right in the owners manual it says T-IV.

Therefore I felt like being a smartass.  Earlier in the day, I called Brown's Mazda and asked them the same exact question.  The guy on the phone told me "if you put anything other than Mercon-V in your transmission, you will void the warranty."

After I got home from work and checked the dipstick, I made sure to head over to Browns, find the guy who said that to me on the phone, took him out to my car, let HIM pull out the dipstick and I had him read it back to me.

"T-IV, what the F is that" he said.

I then replied "well, I dont want to void the warranty, so I think im going to go home and do a flush and fill with Mercon-V."

He then looked stupid and asked his service manager, who had no idea what the hell it was.

I went to the Toyota dealership and they sell T-IV fluid in their parts department incase anyone is wondering.  It cost 5 bucks.

Anyways, thats a ton crossbow for posting these things to us.  If it wasnt for this, I would have put Mercon-V in my tranny after installing the cooler.  :yesnod:
[snapback]504303[/snapback]​

I'm going to do my cooler and filter install tomorrow. How about you?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Originally posted by smashclash@Sep 9 2005, 09:45 PM
I'm going to do my cooler and filter install tomorrow.  How about you?
[snapback]504510[/snapback]​
Im going to wait maybe til 1-2k miles. As discussed in the engine break in thread, im not attaching anything until I know the car is broken in. Incase you have any tranny problems, you dont want to give the dealer ANY reason early in your cars life to void your warranty IMO.

Just as a safety precaution, im probably going to wait until 1-2k miles. My last car I did right after 1k miles so any weekend im free between 1-2k miles im going to throw on the CP-E and tranny cooler. Ideally, I feel I should wait a little longer, however its really really really really hard when these things are sitting next to my door and I get to look at them every single day. :yesnod:

With the cooler, you want to get it on as early as possible to extend your tranny's lifespan however I have a personal preference not to get it on TOO early incase there is something wrong with the car that becomes apparent in the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Originally posted by Philter25@Sep 10 2005, 06:27 PM
Im going to wait maybe til 1-2k miles.  As discussed in the engine break in thread, im not attaching anything until I know the car is broken in.  Incase you have any tranny problems, you dont want to give the dealer ANY reason early in your cars life to void your warranty IMO.

Just as a safety precaution, im probably going to wait until 1-2k miles.  My last car I did right after 1k miles so any weekend im free between 1-2k miles im going to throw on the CP-E and tranny cooler.  Ideally, I feel I should wait a little longer, however its really really really really hard when these things are sitting next to my door and I get to look at them every single day.  :yesnod:

With the cooler, you want to get it on as early as possible to extend your tranny's lifespan however I have a personal preference not to get it on TOO early incase there is something wrong with the car that becomes apparent in the first 1000 miles.
[snapback]504973[/snapback]​
that's good logic. i figure if i run into a problem though i'll revert everything back to stock before i take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Philter25,

No problem. Glad someone found it useful. I'm actually surprised at some of these dealerships. Do they not check their email? It's kinda of depressing when a bunch of guys on the forum get information months before dealers even have the faintest clue what's going on.

I should be a consultant to Browns, maybe they'll give me a free MPS 6 :).

And ya, supposedly mixing the two fluids results in seal damage and transmission destruction quite rapidly. I haven't seen it happen directly, but the warning are in place, and given multiple times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was planning on installing a transmission cooler today, so I swung by my Mazda dealer this morning to pick up some transmission fluid. They gave me a quart of Mazda Auto Transmission Fluid Type M3 (Mazda part 0000-77-110E-01) and a 10 oz bottle of ATP Friction Modifier (part AT-203). At first, they tried to sell me manual transmission fluid because they thought I had a MS6, even though I had asked for transmission fluid for a "6-speed auto", but after I told them what I was doing, they realized that it was a regular 6.
The master tech's suggestion was to install the cooler (he reminded me to install it inline with the radiator cooler), dump in the friction modifier, and top off with the transmission fluid until it hit the 20C mark (with the transmission cold).

Does this sound right? I have a 2006 6s with the 6-speed ATX, btw.

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: i only needed to add a tiny bit, but it worked

·
Registered
93 Posts
So an 07 2.3L uses the Mercon-V correct? Therefore Redline D4 would be compatible. I just got my new 6i today and want to switch to synthetic when I do the 1st oil change.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Thanks a million for posting this info Crossbow. If I hadn't found this thread next weekend I would have installed a cooler and started switching over to Mobil1 ATF.

BTW - an '05 6S Sport Wagon with the 6 speed ATX does NOT have a factory cooler, for any who are wondering. I will be installing one below the driver's side headlight where Mazda apparently installed the same thing on some year/s of wagon. I will also be opening-up the honeycomb in the lower bumper so it flows onto the cooler.

Also, I just bough the car with 16k miles on it - spotless beyond belief. The fluid in it is red and I would bet anything that it is the factory fluid. And even if someone topped it off with Mercon, it would have been diluted and not shown as red.

Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BTW - an '05 6S Sport Wagon with the 6 speed ATX does NOT have a factory cooler, for any who are wondering. I will be installing one below the driver's side headlight where Mazda apparently installed the same thing on some year/s of wagon. I will also be opening-up the honeycomb in the lower bumper so it flows onto the cooler.[/b]
Does it not have a cooler built into the bottom of the radiator?

If so, is it best to just bypass the existing cooler and run the new cooler, or to hook them in series so that the oil flows through the radiator cooler after the new cooler? The latter would help warm the tranny oil more quickly in the winter.

Thanks for this Forum. i have learned a lot. Taking delivery of a new 06 Wagon ATX tommorow. Planning on installing a cooler soon.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
It does have a cooler in the radiator. It may not have been this board, but someone posted pics of a factory cooler that was mounted vertically behind the driver's side opening in the lower bumper. And some have reported finding one mounted near the firewall. Mine has neither.

G

·
0 Posts
I have 2007 Mazda6 wagon with 6-speed Aisin ATX.

This trans requires JWS3309-compatible fluid. The following are suitable

Motorcraft XT8QAW
Toyota T-IV
Mazda T-IV
Mobil 3309

the first three are probably just rebranded Mobil 3309.

Here's the scary part: 3 Mazda-trained mechanics, at two different Mazda dealers, told me they put Mercon V in ALL Mazda transmissions. Some Mercon V fluid will rapidly wreck this trans, according to a 2004 Mazda TSB.

I attached a warning tag to my trans dipstick, and will tell the service advisor "don't top off the trans fluid" when I take it in for service.

Mazda really dropped the ball here, 3 ways. a) The mechanics should be better trained. b) The dipstick should have a warning attached, and be stamped "T-IV". c) The trans should be resilient to common ATF's. Shifting problems maybe, but to have the clutch packs and seals self-destruct due to a dribble of incorrect fluid is poor design, too fragile.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The dipstick is stamped saying to use Type T-IV Fluid, take another look. It's there, trust me.

It isn't just Mazda that's made this mistake, but Ford too. Ford techs were using Mercon V in the Ford Fusion when Type T-IV should be used causing the same problem. This transmission is used in many new vehicles, including but not limited to: 6, CX-7, CX-9, Fusion, Taurus (used to be 500), Freestyle (now the Taurus X), Edge, and even the Volvo SUV.

It's not the transmission's fault for not being resilient enough to fluid mixture, and not Mazda's fault either (They don't make the transmission, Aisin-Warner does which is a division of Toyota). The problem is that the two fluids don't mesh well together, like oil and water. I wouldn't do this, but some people have reported that if you completely remove the Type T-IV fluid you could probably use the Mercon V or even VI fluid with little to no ill effects. It's the reaction the two fluids have together.

Lastly, this has been discussed long ago and is a sticky in the ATX section.

Welcome to the forum.

Paul

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
From Redline's product detail:
Synthetic D4 ATF is suitable for use where Dexron III, Dexron III H, Dexron II, Toyota T-IV, Hyundai, Voith, ZF, Nissan Matic-J, Honda Z-1, Mercon, or Mercon V fluids are recommended.[/b]
so Redline D4 ATF covers all the bases for transmissions on the 6, correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ATX in my '06 Sport Wagon started acting up about 100 miles after I had an oil change at a Lube Express place. It eventually died and was replaced under warranty. Makes me wonder if they topped it up with the wrong fluid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hit a deer in my 05 6s, had to replace radiator, a/c condenser, etc. The repair shop used 1qt Mercon V to top of the transmission fluid when they replaced the radiator. I got about 200mi on the car when I figured out what happened and had them tow the car... They decided to flush the transmission and call it good, and promise to fix it if I had issues....

I talked to many dealers, most did not seem to be aware of the 05 requiring T-IV fluid. I called the dealer where i bought the car (800mi away now) Their service manger thought that with the amount of fluid they put in, and the miles I had that it should not be a problem

Before they towed the car, the fluid looked 'burned' and had a burned smell too it. The car had 52k on it, with the last flush at a Mazda dealer around 42k.

Do you think I may have a lurking issue, or will everything be fine? It does not seem to shift much worse than before. It always has shifted hard when it is cold out and I do not let the car warm up for a few minutes)

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hit a deer in my 05 6s, had to replace radiator, a/c condenser, etc. The repair shop used 1qt Mercon V to top of the transmission fluid when they replaced the radiator. I got about 200mi on the car when I figured out what happened and had them tow the car... They decided to flush the transmission and call it good, and promise to fix it if I had issues....

I talked to many dealers, most did not seem to be aware of the 05 requiring T-IV fluid. I called the dealer where i bought the car (800mi away now) Their service manger thought that with the amount of fluid they put in, and the miles I had that it should not be a problem

Before they towed the car, the fluid looked 'burned' and had a burned smell too it. The car had 52k on it, with the last flush at a Mazda dealer around 42k.

Do you think I may have a lurking issue, or will everything be fine? It does not seem to shift much worse than before. It always has shifted hard when it is cold out and I do not let the car warm up for a few minutes)

Thanks[/b]
Answering my own question... yes you will start to have issues, rough 1-2 shifting when cold, rough shift and slipping from 6-4 and 5-3 at 'cruising' speeds. Slipping when doing reverse stall test.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Answering my own question... yes you will start to have issues, rough 1-2 shifting when cold, rough shift and slipping from 6-4 and 5-3 at 'cruising' speeds. Slipping when doing reverse stall test.....[/b]
May also be the shift shock TSB. I had the same symptoms and the TSB fixed it for me.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts