Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been hearing this creaking sound coming from the front left corner of my 6 and at first I thought it was a rubbing sound. I thought that because I only heard it as I turned a corner to the right with medium to full lock, while accelerating. I was at a loss because I could see (or smell) no sign of any rubbing of the tyre, the wheel, the fender liner, the suspension, the brakes...nothing. But today, I discovered that I could replicate the sound by having my left foot on the brake and pressing on the accelerator (car standing still). It seems that when the suspension comes under load from the axle trying to turn, the creaking is the result. I decided to make a recording of the sound for you guys to hear.

Car standing still:
https://soundcloud.com/richard-tait-307524832%2Fsuspension-creak-jan-8-648-pm
Car accelerating in a circle:
https://soundcloud.com/richard-tait-307524832%2Fsuspension-creak-jan-8-650-pm
Has anybody else had this problem with their 2G?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds a bit different, but largely similar to what mine and lots of people's sound like over time. If that's it, the issue is the control arm bushings creaking. You'll have to wait for others or search around to see whether there's a fix involving new bushings. I spray-lubed mine and it went away in all but the most severe deflection situations. It may be coming back lately (a year or more later), so I'll probably spray lube them again some day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I would imagine that the only true fix for this is to replace the bad part...I can't seem to find out if there is one in particular that is prone to this sort of sound. Which one was the faulty item on yours?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Yep - control arm bushings at the rear of the control arm mount. Hit it with silicone and it will go away for a good while. You can get to it without having to lift the vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay...I'll try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've noticed no change at all since spraying all the bushings with silicone. I did see some rust-coloured drippings as I sprayed. Perhaps I should have sprayed one thing at a time so that I could pinpoint the offending item, but since there was no change at all, perhaps I can try that strategy next time, with more spraying. Ultimately, I'm preparing to replace everything under there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds a bit different, but largely similar to what mine and lots of people's sound like over time. If that's it, the issue is the control arm bushings creaking. You'll have to wait for others or search around to see whether there's a fix involving new bushings. I spray-lubed mine and it went away in all but the most severe deflection situations. It may be coming back lately (a year or more later), so I'll probably spray lube them again some day.
I agree. It's your front steering/control arms creaking/squeaking under load/movement. Ideally jack your car up on that side so suspension, etc... is fully extended and spray white lithium grease in all your rubber/bushing seams, especially upper/lower A-arms, tie rods. Btw wear goggles when spraying...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts