Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent this past weekend completing the air box mod. Removed the resonator and tuba. Decent sound enhancement, but I want performance enhancement too.

What I'm thinking of doing is adding some tubing to the air box tube that used to be connected to the resonator (basically extending it deeper in the wheel well/liner). Then I plan on adding a CAI filter on the end of the tube so it's basically in the same position as an original CAI in the wheel well. I already have a K&N filter in the air box, but I'll add another one on the end of the new tube because it will be closer to the bottom on the fender. The tuba hole is already closed off so all of my air will be pulled in from the wheel/fender well.

I'm basically thinking of making a cheap version of a CAI! However, I'll be using the stock MAF sensor holder so I can avoid the dreaded CEL's.

So my questions are:
1) What do you think, waste of time?
2) Would 2 air filters slow down my air flow?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
69 Posts
adding a 2nd air filter would cause more restriction, and may slow air flow causing more harm than good, but way to think outside the "box"... i'd say give it a try if nothing else you could opt to not add the 2nd filter or in the intrest of keeping the intake tube ur talking of adding clean, add the conical filter and try removing the one from the box, either way let us know how it works for ya..

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
the biggest problem with the stock set up is the stock accordion piping does everything to hurt flow. thats where ALOT of the big gain of going to a real CAI is from.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the biggest problem with the stock set up is the stock accordion piping does everything to hurt flow. thats where ALOT of the big gain of going to a real CAI is from.
So what if I just replace the accordion piping with straight piping? And remove the stock filter and add the conical filter?

If I can find a replacement for the piping I will do that just to see the difference.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i did this back in '03 before the CAI's existed. i pulled th stock filter, ran a pipe down into the corner and made a ghetto intake. this does result in colder air temps by a bit, but in all reality the colder air doesn't help the piss poor flow of the system.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did this back in '03 before the CAI's existed. i pulled th stock filter, ran a pipe down into the corner and made a ghetto intake. this does result in colder air temps by a bit, but in all reality the colder air doesn't help the piss poor flow of the system.
It may not help the flow of the system much, but it should be better than what I currently have correct (basic air box mod)? Oh yeah, it definitely helps out my pocket too.:)

What about rain or water intake? Should I mount the extra tubing toward the front of the grill or backwards toward the wheel well holes? And should I put a hydro shield on it?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i honestly don't think it helps at all, period. but that was me, and sometimes just trying knew things is worth it, so go for it.

as far as water, unless you drive through a large puddle where the intake is submerged, you should be good. i'd just pull the CAI extension out during bad storms if it's a concern.

here's what mine ended up like after a few tries. i only ran it for a month or so before the car went to AEM.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'll be attempting this setup some time this weekend after the girlfriend finally leaves! I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Try adding some sort of funnel (like whats used on 4x4 snorkel kits) to the end of the piping and see if that helps get you more air, in a way it will help to slightly compress the air as it enters the pipe, as long as it can go straight in and not have to turn an sharp corner... it might help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, so if the air has to turn many corners it will slow the air flow correct?

And for those that did the complete air box mod (i.e. removed the resonator, tuba, and tray) and then switched to a CAI was there a HUGE difference in response and sound?

·
Registered
200 Posts
What I meant was if you used some sort of funnel and it went right into a corner, the effect that using the funnel could provide, could be lost. I could be wrong about this, it seems like it might be something worth trying out and see if you get a bit more out of it than with just the pipe. But yes, the staighter the path of air flow, the better.

There was a noticable difference from the air box mod to a CAI in power, not so much sound, the only noise I noticed was a very pronounced sucking sound (sucking air into the intake) I think the coolest thing about the air box mod was the sound!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
airbox mod isn't about much power, just sound really. you have an accordion tube connected to the TB, and there's no way to get smooth air through an accordion tube. the CAI smooths out the air which helps create some of the power, as well as the better flowing filter.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i ran my gutted airbox for about 3 years. then upgraded to a ebay CAI. no real difference between the two. now im on a AEM intake. and in all truth, its exactly like both the other's. lol

but hey, at least it looks alot better, and has a pretty AEM sticker on it. lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i ran my gutted airbox for about 3 years. then upgraded to a ebay CAI. no real difference between the two. now im on a AEM intake. and in all truth, its exactly like both the other's. lol

but hey, at least it looks alot better, and has a pretty AEM sticker on it. lol
That's exactly what I thought. I figured only the CPE system would actually sound and perform much better than the air box. I'm still going to take a stab at changing the air box mod up a little bit. But I'm sure that when I get the money I'll buy a CAI for looks if anything else!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts