Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, new to the forum as I am working on a Mazda 6 for a friend right now. The main problem I am having now is working blind because he disconnected the battery so it cleared off the codes. Essentially what is happening is the vehicle is a crank no start, it tries to start and it will pop a little out of the air intake but no matter how much you move the throttle or crank on it it will not start. I first removed the throttle body and clean that and did a relearn as I thought that may be the issue but it did not change anything even though the back of the throttle body was completely caked. I however can get it to start and run really rough by loosening the crankshaft position sensor and sliding it all the way up. I have checked the resistance on the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. Both are within spec. I even replaced the crankshaft sensor. I have rotated it to top dead center and removed the valve cover and checked that the physical timing of the cams and crank is in good shape as well. The vehicle has perfect fuel pressure and when I remove the spark plugs they all have spark. Has anyone else come across this before?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. Ended up being somehow to timing was slightly off at the crank. Bought the timing tools and adjusted the timing and so far it’s been good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my feeling too after watching a YouTube video about that. I lined up the crank and took off the valve cover and the cams appear to be lined up perfectly but I'll check again. The crank sensor was also dead center on the 9th tooth of the time ring on the balancer. How far was your off and did you have to pull the timing cover to verify it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was hardly noticeable until I installed the pin for the crank and the bar for the cams wouldn’t fit. I just loosened the crank bolt and rotated the cams till the bar slid into the slots then torqued everything down and it fired right up and ran perfectly

·
Registered
3 Posts
And I think mine was caused by loss of oil pressure from low oil, possibly just jumped one tooth at the crank but I didnt even pull the accessory belt, just the valve cover to rotate the cams. Been just over 1000 miles now and I haven’t had any more issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much, that did the trick. I went to AutoZone and got the tool to hold the camshafts and it was off by half the diameter of the hole that you put the bolt in but apparently that was enough to keep the vehicle from starting. I broke the crankshaft pulley loose turned it a bit retightened it and it started right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts