Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a very tiny chip in my windshield which after about 2 months turned into about a 9 inch crack up my passenger side and then into 4 cracks, 2 more starting towards my driver side and literally in a matter of 5 min two giant cracks that i watched happen all the way across my windshield, Is this normal for it to crack this fast? i know others who it has taken years to even get that long, and also getting the windshield fixed, can the cracks be to big for them to fix them? because i really can not afford a new windshield at all....

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE (goodbyegravity @ Jan 8 2010, 10:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628371
so i got a very tiny chip in my windshield which after about 2 months turned into about a 9 inch crack up my passenger side and then into 4 cracks, 2 more starting towards my driver side and literally in a matter of 5 min two giant cracks that i watched happen all the way across my windshield, Is this normal for it to crack this fast? i know others who it has taken years to even get that long, and also getting the windshield fixed, can the cracks be to big for them to fix them? because i really can not afford a new windshield at all....[/b]

I think youd be spending more money trying to repair those cracks. Sounds like if they were moving that fast the windshield strength is goin down the crapper. You can get a new one installed for about 200 from windshields. Im assuming this isnt going to be a insurance job

B

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (JerseyBoy357 @ Jan 8 2010, 10:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628375
I think youd be spending more money trying to repair those cracks. Sounds like if they were moving that fast the windshield strength is goin down the crapper. You can get a new one installed for about 200 from windshields. Im assuming this isnt going to be a insurance job

B[/b]
You'll get a Chinese windshield. Probably marked FY on the bottom right corner. It's supposed to be DOT approved so it should be safe, but it has weird optical distortions around the edges. So if your insurance is going to handle it, just get the OE glass.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
First, windshield cracks can spread quickly, within DAYS if the temperatures are cold and you cycle the defroster.

I got a quarter-inch crack from a kicked-up rock this past fall, and within a week, it spread into an 8-inch crack that spread up the windshield.

The best thing to do when you get a tiny crack/chip is to try and have it repaired ASAP, before it has a chance to spread. After it spreads to about 2 inches+ (and they always do), the windshield will need to be replaced.

Definitely call your insurance company. Some comprehensive packages include 100% glass coverage, which means a free windshield. If you don't have comprehensive with the glass coverage, price it out and add it to your policy. For the few extra $$$$ per month/year, it pays for itself when the windshield goes.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You can't fix a crack, you can only drill and fill the end to try and stop it from spreading further, this only works sometimes. If it's already cracked like you say it is you should replace it. Out of pocket it should only be about $220 for an aftermarket windshield but a lot of insurance companies will cover it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've had several crack on me, and in every case, I found that the cheapest, most hassle-free remedy is to have it replaced. Even if you try to plug/stop the cracks that already exist, new owns are bound to develop eventually.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pretty much every year we drive to Phoenix from Arkansas and I usually get a crack on that trip. They always offer the crack repair at the Simoniz places so I usually take them up on it. I have a 7-10 inch crack at the top out of my line of vision that they stopped about 2 years ago. It's gaurnateed too. Considering I would be replacing my windshield about once every year if I didn't go this route, the repair option was fine for me. But they don't offer that here in Arkansas. Just have to wait to get to Phoenix. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Add me to the crack team. On the way to work today. Somethin small got kicked up by some DOUCHEBAG that wasnt happy with the 75-80 we were doin in the left lane, at least 6 of us; and he was all over the place tryin to get position. Big redneck contractor truck full of shit in the back. I saw it comin and said oh ok that'll hit the hood. It looked nice and small. Nope. Hit about 2in above the hood on the passenger side almost at the pillar and made a crack ALL the way across to my inspection sticker. Fucker. So I call my insurance company and found out, cuz i dont remember this kinda stuff, that my deductible is $750 so Its on me. But I got a good deal, guy is comin Saturday afternoon to do a new install for 196 plus tax. Wont have to clean it now like I was gona at work,lol

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts