1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post.

I've put a crack in the OEM 17" wheel on my 6s wagon. :swearin:

I've bought a new wheel, but I'm curious if this is any sort of common occurence?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Welcome! Definitely not a common thing. How'd you manage it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Definitely not a common thing. How'd you manage it?
[/b]

No idea, just started losing air one day, went ot get a plug on my tire, and they found a 1/2" crack on the inside of the wheel. I live in the Balt-Wash area, so there's no shortage of pot holes and other road hazards.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I live in the Balt-Wash area, so there's no shortage of pot holes and other road hazards.[/b]
BINGO! :yesnod: I cringe whenever I have to drive my 6 through DC and Baltimore!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hate to bring back a year old thread, but I figured it would be better posting here than starting a new thread
Anyhow, check this sheet out:

The first three are my passenger front rim, the remainder my passenger rear.

I noticed yesterday morning a bit more road noise than normal, but I was taking an alternate route to work and chalked it up to the Azenis making more noise as they aged. Pressure was fine all around and I did not see any blisters in the tyres.
Coming back from Dinner later that night, I cannot remember (my girlfriend cannot either) whether I ran slightly off the edge of the road into the gravel or if the car pulled off to the side as the rim failed. Either way a grinding noise ensued so I pulled over and stopped figuring that I blew out a tyre. I did not feel any sharp hit or anything she just went a little over the side of the road and then started grinding. I pulled the wheel off only to find the entire inside of the rim broken. I put the dough nut on and tried to drive away to find that the rear passenger wheel was also cracked. Luckily I have a complete other set of stock rims (the ones that came with the car) with freshly mounted snow tyres at home.

On my way to work this morning (in the other car) I tried to take a look near the occurance to see if I could see anything on the side of the road that I could have hit. The majority of the shoulder was gravel laid at the same level as the road. There were a few places where the gravel was about 2" below the road but it appeared that I left the road somewhere after that. I may have to take a closer look on my way home.

These are a set of OEM 17" wheels that I picked up off ebay and have been using with summer tyres for about two years. I am a little scarred to continue using the other two wheels if there is a chance that they will crack too. I am also worried about getting another set of oem rims, but we all know this car is not designed with friendly offsets. Whatchall think?

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
To answer your question: no, it's not common. In fact, you're one of the first I've heard this happen to.

It may be just an abnormality, but I'd check out the other two wheels thoroughly to see if they're in good shape.

At least it's a good excuse to get some new rims. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
liqouri-

Agreed with others, that is not normal for the stock wheels. If you are attached to the stock look, Id get a new set of 4 or some new aftermarket wheels. If 2/4 wheels were hiding bad enough prior stress for that kind of damage its just better to assume the other 2 could be that bad off as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (mariusvt @ May 29 2008, 04:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1357987
liqouri-

Agreed with others, that is not normal for the stock wheels. If you are attached to the stock look, Id get a new set of 4 or some new aftermarket wheels. If 2/4 wheels were hiding bad enough prior stress for that kind of damage its just better to assume the other 2 could be that bad off as well.[/b]
-I have been thinking the same thing, there is simply too much risk involved with just getting two more wheels and waiting for the ticking time bomb of the other two to go off. Now its just a matter of finding rims with the right offset...we all know how easy that is.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
QUOTE (Ligouri Rd. @ May 30 2008, 08:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1358389
-I have been thinking the same thing, there is simply too much risk involved with just getting two more wheels and waiting for the ticking time bomb of the other two to go off. Now its just a matter of finding rims with the right offset...we all know how easy that is.[/b]
Looks more like someone ran over something nasty with the right side wheels. That's one big hit on the right rear, and one strange scar on the inner rim lip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (KevinK2 @ May 30 2008, 03:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1358759
Looks more like someone ran over something nasty with the right side wheels. That's one big hit on the right rear, and one strange scar on the inner rim lip.[/b]
-That someone would have been me. Like I said, I believe as the front rim went the car pulled to the right into the gravel at the side of the road. The strange thing is there is not much of a drop off between the road and the gravel, at most 2" but the tracks I left were far past that rough section. Weird. The scrape is where the dented part of the rim made contact with the rear upright, shaved a nice layer of alumin(i)um off.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
holy hell I've never heard of any wheel on any car doing that! Perhaps they were under inflated and whenever you hit a bup/pothole it was going right to the rim instead of tire. That's just a guess...the metals they make wheels out of are ductile meaning they will bend instead of break, but with enough abuse they will break. The same idea as bengding a paper clip, you can do it 2-3 time no problem but 4-5 it's probably gonna snap

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
QUOTE (Ligouri Rd. @ Jun 2 2008, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1360038
... The scrape is where the dented part of the rim made contact with the rear upright, shaved a nice layer of alumin(i)um off.[/b]
May be an illusion but pic shows a matching "mirrored" mark on the right rear tire, typical of pinching at impact ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts