Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i some how managed to crack both fog light lenses :mad:. one just has one line half way through the middle, the other has several cracks. i am pretty careful about staying away from rock trucks, but who knows. anybody else have the same issue? i plan on getting stock replacements and having the clear bra stuff put over them. how do i take the lenses off? thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
you cant just take the lens off, to take the housing off, take off bumper and take off some screws for each fog, i think it's 4 per side but it's been a while since i had mine off but either way nothing too hard.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it. i think i can handle that. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have not had the money to replace them yet. i was planning to take off the front bumper to replace them. since the 2011 have different round fog lights, i am thinking about using those vs. the rectangle ones i had on my 2009. the 2011 fogs run 195.00 each, plus ill need a new front cover @ 52.00 each. maybe in a few more months - ill report back when i have them in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My g/f honda's cracked. It was only 20 on ebay. can't say the same for the 6 though.

Only way to protect them is to install a clear bra over em.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea... cheapest i have found em so far is 100 a side for the original replacements. will do the lamin-x film on top of it for sure! how many other owners have had this happen?

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
yea... cheapest i have found em so far is 100 a side for the original replacements. will do the lamin-x film on top of it for sure! how many other owners have had this happen?
I actually looked at my fogs this morning before hitting the (snow- and sleet-covered, and very slick) roads, and they're good.

I'd definitely switch to the '11s if mine ended up cracking...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my 6 a couple of weeks ago and the weather here has been so bad, I'm not surprised I already cracked my passanger side fog lens. So I've been looking within this forum for comments/advise/tips.
I like the suggestion on the bra or using something to cover and protect as I'm certain it'll happen again...with the snow being as much as it is, no telling when it will happen as I know I'm not that careful.

Is there any suggestions out there for where to get the OEM replacement? I know I can simply go to a Mazda dealer but wanted to see if there's a site that people favor for these things.... ? Maybe?

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My passenger side has been cracked for 30k+ miles now. When I eventually fix it, I'm using some lamin-x film to try to preserve them longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same happen to both on my 3 except there were holes punched clean through. Any recommendation on where to get the Lamin-X film for a good price, want to try to preserve both my 5 and 6.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lamin-x is the brand, so use an internet search engine and their sight will come up. The fogs were under $20 bucks for my '09. I'm sure there's other brands out there, but I had this product on my other cars for years without issues, so I stick with I know firsthand.

Reactions: Torin

·
Registered
25 Posts
replaced both mine last year .dealer said it was rocks , but couldnt see a chip anywere on either . + they both cracked at the same time . No friggin way as there wasnt a mark anywhere on the bumper .I think if it happened on one maybe but both ???not a chance ...of course dealer sayz its not uncommon for rocks to take out lights . bla bla bla BS .

Did you notice the change in the 2011 foglights on the 6 ?????

·
Registered
924 Posts
replaced both mine last year .dealer said it was rocks , but couldnt see a chip anywere on either . + they both cracked at the same time . No friggin way as there wasnt a mark anywhere on the bumper .I think if it happened on one maybe but both ???not a chance ...of course dealer sayz its not uncommon for rocks to take out lights . bla bla bla BS .

Did you notice the change in the 2011 foglights on the 6 ?????
They have a point. Something had to hit them to cause the lights to crack.

So far I've been lucky. Then again most of my driving is in the city so not much interstate / country road driving behind rock flinging trucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They have a point. Something had to hit them to cause the lights to crack.

So far I've been lucky. Then again most of my driving is in the city so not much interstate / country road driving behind rock flinging trucks.
I know that nothing was hit .
I am quite sure it happened when I took the car thru an Auto car wash (touchless) The underwash when u drive in was very powerful (I had noticed it was really blastin) so I was takin my time drivin in just so I could blast wheels & such clean. Wifey has fogs set so they are always on , I think the heat of the lights & the extra stong lower body wash did it . Also noticed that fog were loose? as i could move them a lil back & forth ...might have been a combo of all 3 ...all I know is no way 2 rocks hit both lights at the same time ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts