Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting ready to release the offroad downpipe and will post details on pricing and availability on our website (www.cp-e.com) at the end of the week!

Despite making over 25hp, a problem with the catted downpipe was discovered during durability testing, and more tweaking is required before we feel comfortable releasing it. Although far from catastrophic, this newfound issue will result in the release of the off-road pipe first, followed by the catted downpipe shortly thereafter. Everyone here at CP-E understands many folks are anxiously awaiting this product’s release, and we’re working furiously to deliver a quality product as soon as possible.

We are also finishing up development on our front mount intercooler kit (should end up under $1000), timing/boost/fuel controller (~$500 for non plug-n-play), and hybrid turbocharger upgrade :D

We've got some real goodies on the way for everyone. Thanks for being patient and supportive guys!

-CPE crew

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm anxious for the new turbo!!!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I think you just made the MazdaSpeed guys wet their pants.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wow...a turbo upgrade! Prices sound great too! I was told a while ago by Anthony (I am pretty sure it was him) that you would be working on a downpipe with a cutout. Is that true as well?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
ok still recovering turbo n00b here...the Hybrid turbo... what does that entail? different compressor/turbine ratios? or is it a modified stock turbo?

:ducks and waits for the flame:

·
Registered
851 Posts
looks like its going to be a modified stock.

problem something to the likes of what a t28 did for the t25 in the dsm world

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
ok still recovering turbo n00b here...the Hybrid turbo... what does that entail? different compressor/turbine ratios? or is it a modified stock turbo?

:ducks and waits for the flame:
[/b]
a hybrid turbo is basically a mix of pieces from different turbos. lets take the T3/T4 hybrid for example. it uses the T3 turbine with T4 compressor so that it fits a certain hp and displacement range.

looks like its going to be a modified stock.

problem something to the likes of what a t28 did for the t25 in the dsm world
[/b]
i think you might be right. they could be using the stock housing here and replacing the compressor and/or turbine wheel(s).

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Ha, I was just at CPE's shop last night when they were talking about leaking this info out. I was pretty surprised to hear their boost/timing/fuel computer would be around $500. That's a pretty good amount cheaper than TurboXS, something I wouldn't have predicted.

Lou, the engineer behind that product, showed me what a bitch timing is on the Mazdaspeed, but he's already engineered up some fancy engine simulations to speed development. He can now lock onto the engine's timing no problem. Good stuff. That means an actual product release probably isn't too far away, though they haven't to my knowledge actually started tuning yet. Getting the hardware working was the (rather huge) first step. This is actually a second or third generation design that CPE has developed, and expect to see a lot more of it soon (on other cars, too).

And a FMIC under $1000 is cheaper than anything in the STI world ($1200+ seems normal there). I like their design, too- there's still a very welcome surprise they haven't revealed yet. Again, I was surprised at the price.

The hybrid turbo they're working on is planned to be an easy bolt-on upgrade. Seeing as the stock turbo is already spinning at 200,000+ RPMs and operating on the verge of death, I think this will be the most significant upgrade for owners. I suspect the stock turbo life will be somewhat short and thus it'll be (perhaps unfortunately) easy to justify a turbo upgrade. While this hybrid turbo may not be the "big turbo" that dyno queens will want, CPE's priority is ease of installation. It'll bolt right up to all your existing parts, giving an easy upgrade path.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think you just made the MazdaSpeed guys wet their pants.
[/b]
+1

·
Registered
156 Posts
The off road pipe throwing any codes? Interested to see the price point for that and the cat equiped model.
The Fuel/Timing/Boost computer is non PNP? Will there be a harness at a later date?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The off road pipe throwing any codes? Interested to see the price point for that and the cat equiped model.
The Fuel/Timing/Boost computer is non PNP? Will there be a harness at a later date?
Thanks,
Jason
[/b]
IIRC, plastic plugs required for the harness cost $300 alone, and that's not including assembly time required to use it. Amazing, huh? That's why you don't see the part being plug and play.

In regards to the off-road pipe, my standard Mazda6 didn't throw any codes while it was running catless. The old tuner trick is to put a spacer inbetween the O2 sensor and the pipe. This worked on my STI as well. I'm not sure what CPE is doing, O2 sensors can be spoofed electronically too, but this mechanical fix is probably simplest and has an impressively high success rate.

I'll see if I can find the part numbers, but it's easy to make your own spacer using these two parts from any auto store:
http://wrx.dicknogs.net/exhaust/Cel_Fix_a.jpg

(But I'm sure CPE will provide a spacer, so no worries.)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Put my turbo in the mail right now!!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do we really need a Huge Turbo to make 500+ for our daily drivers. Something like 325-350hp will be more than enough to get you around and trump most cars we are in competition with.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That's what I'm looking for, something that would make around 320-350 at the tire.

A better breathing, more efficient turbo that produced less heat would be an excellent start.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree, 300-350 whp and 300-350 ft-lbs would be great in this car... if the drivetrain can hold up. It would be nice if that could come in a factory housing so there would be no dealer problems...

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If it's gonna be another $300 for the pnp, I'll pass and do the hardwire myself. Or, is that just their cost?

Hopefully CP-E is smart enough to build the "off road" downpipe with an extended O2 bung.

I wonder what kind of "tweeks" they are making to that cat.

Put my turbo in the mail right now!!!!
[/b]
I'm with you there, but I think I'll wait for a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Do we really need a Huge Turbo to make 500+ for our daily drivers. Something like 325-350hp will be more than enough to get you around and trump most cars we are in competition with.
[/b]
So is it wrong for me to want to tromp a GTO? :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
So is it wrong for me to want to tromp a GTO? :D
[/b]
Not at all. I would like to keep the new BMW 335ci coupe in my rear view, which should not be a problem with some mods.

Thanks,
Jason

1 - 20 of 175 Posts