Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the intake and red cpe mount installed yesterday. While driving around today noticed when the car shifts especially from a stop i can hear a squeek. At first i thought it was the intake pipe rubbing on the heat shield but its hard to diagnose if thats the location of the sound. It does have the vaccum hose in the heat shield opening and some extra padding support. Also during the install of the mount it did not fit at all and it did not matter which direction the bracket was in. According to cpe instructions and looking at my car the wishbone mounts are the same size but the stock bracket is different. What i had to do was have the old mount removed from the mounting bracket and then did a little machining to get the new one back in with the old bracket and on the car. Forgot to mention car is 2005 6s, has anyone seen this? Have contacted cpe and am having my dealer send them a mount and bracket to look at to address this issue.

Back to the squeek is it possible that my transmission is not reacting well to the mount. My retrofit really changed nothing as everything bolted back in like stock. My worry is that the transmission was jacked up a bit higher than necessary when lining the bolts up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an ATX and yes tranny was supported with jack. I put some more padding between the pipe and heat shield and drove around didn't hear anything. The tranny is shifting properly and everything it doesn't seem out of place except for the squeak, I also thought the tensioner was causing this but nothing stands out while running the engine with the hood popped and parked.

The machining i refer to is minimal basically there is another mounting plate similar to the cpe one that is on the bracket. What we did was grind the mushroom head off the to remove the plate from the stock bracket and then we were able to take the mount out and swap in the cpe mount into the bracket. Then bolt back on the car.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I don't understand. The stock black triangle mount is not supposed to be used. Thats why a new one is provided by CP-E. Unless ATX are different...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a late model change in 05's they still have the same wishbone mount but thats its.

This was info between Mazda and CPE on the matter. The service manager brought me back in the shop and showed me the differences. He said they changed things to beef up the mounting bracket w/mount. According to him the mounts are not failing because they are poorly made its the bracket that causes the failure. But the cpe mount is still better than stock.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The squeaking noise is in fact the cold air intake pipe rubbing up against the vacumn hose that slides around the edge of the inner heat shield. This is due to the rubber becoming very hard in semi cold weather. It seems like any temp < 45F would cause this noise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what i thought but its 65 degrees here. But like i said before after putting some pipe insulation tape in the suspect area i didn't hear it. I will have to just keep on monitoring. Or i must be really anal and can pick up the slightest noise and make a big deal of it, but i know i didn't here it before the installs.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
There was a late model change in 05's they still have the same wishbone mount but thats its.

This was info between Mazda and CPE on the matter. The service manager brought me back in the shop and showed me the differences. He said they changed things to beef up the mounting bracket w/mount. According to him the mounts are not failing because they are poorly made its the bracket that causes the failure. But the cpe mount is still better than stock.
[/b]

very interesting, does cp-e know that the 05's need a different bracket?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes they were getting a mount and bracket from mazda dealer and were going to make the necessary modifications. I will update more when i get feedback.

Does anyone think that i should be concerned about the tranny, with the noise i described while shifting from 1st to 2nd. I don't hear it all the time but it sounds more like metal on metal of a squeak. But my shifts are perfect, i checked the cpe pipe and there are no marks that indicate its rubbing. I know if i take the car to the dealer they will not warranty anything and put the blame on the intake and the new mount. If worse comes to worse i will just order a new stock mount and bracket from a different dealer of course and take the cpe out and take it to the dealer and play dumb.

First off I'm going to put a mic in the engine bay to try to find where its coming from. With all the wind i can't hear anything after 2nd gear and its barely noticeable with the windows up, but you can feel it if that makes sense.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but it doesn't happen every time so it made me think it was gone, like i said before im too anal but if its the tranny it could be a huge cost if its denied to be fixed under warranty my car is only a year old with 10000 miles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's an ATX and yes tranny was supported with jack. I put some more padding between the pipe and heat shield and drove around didn't hear anything. The tranny is shifting properly and everything it doesn't seem out of place except for the squeak, I also thought the tensioner was causing this but nothing stands out while running the engine with the hood popped and parked.

The machining i refer to is minimal basically there is another mounting plate similar to the cpe one that is on the bracket. What we did was grind the mushroom head off the to remove the plate from the stock bracket and then we were able to take the mount out and swap in the cpe mount into the bracket. Then bolt back on the car.
[/b]
Here are some pics to help describe, the 1st pic was all one piece

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/dhunter9912/apart.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/dhu...talledoncar.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
dhunter9912
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing