Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the headers w/ high flow cats, and magnaflows with resonator. The first 300 miles were great, nice deep sound, no problems at all. Then I got a CEL, and around this same time I noticed the exhaust note got really buzzy, there wasn't a single sign of it before. I thought it was an exhaust leak so I connect the pipes tighter, no fix. Then I thought it was a pipe rubbing against the underbody so I adjusted the entire thing, no fix. So now I'm wondering if anyone else with the same setup has this annoying buzzing sound that starts at right about 3k. And/or has anyone has fixed it? Are the mags just not suitable for all the added pressure?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I had a customer chatting to me on AIM about a similar situation.

Do you have the CP-E cat pipe? It seems the cats on the pipe from CP-E (made by Magnaflow) are crap quality. Try shaking it, you may hear a rattling sound.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a customer chatting to me on AIM about a similar situation.

Do you have the CP-E cat pipe? It seems the cats on the pipe from CP-E (made by Magnaflow) are crap quality. Try shaking it, you may hear a rattling sound.
[/b]
I am starting to hate megnaflow now, good thing i ordered the injen exhaust.

As of right now the stock muffers buzz, but i will update after the injen is on to see if the cats do or do not buzz, cuz right now i cant really tell about the cats.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ok I have the same setup...same buzzy sound...brought it in today to have checked...both cats are shot...cats are running too hot...check the color on them...if u see discoloration, especially a bluish color, then they are running too hot as mine are...I called CP-E right from the muffler shop, and they said I am not the first to have both cats fail...they are working with their cat manufacturers from Magnaflow to try and find out a fix...they said they would get back to me next week and work something out...it also seems that the reason the temp is so high in the cats is from our cars now running rich...check the tailpipes and see if there is a lot of black soot....thats a sign of it running rich...gonna get their tunable mafci to fix that.

by the way...the guy there put a screwdriver in between the cats to make sure they wouldnt rub and then he banged on the bottom of them both and they rattled like hell....all beat up inside. Hopefully a fix there will get rid of that annoying rasp at 3k rpm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ok I have the same setup...same buzzy sound...brought it in today to have checked...both cats are shot...cats are running too hot...check the color on them...if u see discoloration, especially a bluish color, then they are running too hot as mine are...I called CP-E right from the muffler shop, and they said I am not the first to have both cats fail...they are working with their cat manufacturers from Magnaflow to try and find out a fix...they said they would get back to me next week and work something out...it also seems that the reason the temp is so high in the cats is from our cars now running rich...check the tailpipes and see if there is a lot of black soot....thats a sign of it running rich...gonna get their tunable mafci to fix that.

by the way...the guy there put a screwdriver in between the cats to make sure they wouldnt rub and then he banged on the bottom of them both and they rattled like hell....all beat up inside. Hopefully a fix there will get rid of that annoying rasp at 3k rpm.
[/b]
damn megnaflow :swearin:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yea Magnaflow's quality has gone downhill from what I have been hearing...it's a good thing that CP-E is understanding and takes care of its customers. If I would have known this from the beginning, I would have put on the RB or Injen cat-back...oh well...too late now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yea Magnaflow's quality has gone downhill from what I have been hearing...it's a good thing that CP-E is understanding and takes care of its customers. If I would have known this from the beginning, I would have put on the RB or Injen cat-back...oh well...too late now.
[/b]
So will cp-e get us some better cats from meganflow or will they go with other company HOPE they go with somebody else. Aslo what are other companies that make highflow cats that will work with out car. If things go that way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
So will cp-e get us some better cats from meganflow or will they go with other company HOPE they go with somebody else. Aslo what are other companies that make highflow cats that will work with out car. If things go that way.
[/b]
That's a good question...I spoke with CP-E today and they were still arguing their case to MF. They said they would get back to me next week by Wed. Hopefully they will send out some better quality cats and cover the cost of the install.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's a good question...I spoke with CP-E today and they were still arguing their case to MF. They said they would get back to me next week by Wed. Hopefully they will send out some better quality cats and cover the cost of the install.
[/b]
That would be beautyful, just hoping everything works out

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No kidding, this is kind of rediculous, and I know it's not CPE's fault. But I did check the cats and they have sort of a rainbowish blue color, I also noticed that water was dripping from one... We aren't going to have to pay for a new y-pipe, are we?

·
Registered
344 Posts
:angry2: hell no we shouldnt have to not our fault.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
that sux, i was getting my hopes for buying the headers. I don tthink its fair for us to ask CPE to cover the costs really, i mean it is fair, but i dont think we should, if that makes sence. They dont have unlimited funds like some other aftermarket companies and id hate to see them stop supporting the 6. I think MF should take back every faulty cat that is reported and cover CPE's expences.... If tcpe spends time and money on header gains and research, it would suck for it to go through the floor because of a faulty part by a 3rd party company... just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
But I did check the cats and they have sort of a rainbowish blue color
[/b]
Discoloured steel is normal under heat changes, I wouldn't be concerned about color changes. Some steels turn golden, some blueish - it all depends on the alloy and temperature. Its actually good as the chronium and nickel in stainless stell oxidizes and forms a coat that protects the underlying metal. Too bad you don't have a scanner so you can see what exhaust temperatures are being reported...

Now, hearing rattling inside the cats in definitely not a good sign as the cat has definitely fallen apart. I know EPA restrictions require all cats to last at least 8 years (I believe) so MF should warranty these.... unless they argue that CP-E is running rich and burning up the cats.

The fact that you got a CEL at the same time and noticed the buzz show up, I can almost bet its because its because of CAT inefficiency... hence, dead cats.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The CEL that I had said the car was running lean not rich! It has been well over two weeks since I had the CEL and it has yet to return. I do not have any buzziness to date, but who knows what lies ahead. I am quite curious to see what Magnaflow says.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I talked to CP-E about my passenger side cat about 4 days ago. The inside of it is shot. I was told the same thing by 2 muffler shops, it's either running to rich or to lean.

Right now we all have 3 options on what to do.

1. Keep replacing the cats as they break up. Downside is it'll get expensive.

2. Run straight pips with no cats. Downside is emissions testing.

3. CP-E tunable MAFci box. Downside is that its $300 for the box, but I think if you send in your old non-tunable you get a discount.

When I found out it was the cat that was breaking up due to the temps I hooked up my scanner and pulled some numbers. Both cats were reporting temps as high as 1400 after running a while and as low as 900 just after start up.

My plan of action is to replace the passenger cat Monday or $150. The local shop here can cut out the broken one and weld in a new one. In the next couple of weeks I will be getting the tunable box as my long term fix.

Also Josh mentioned something about metal catalytic convertors. If anyone knows anything about metal cats let me know please. All I know is that they are damn near indestructable and cost a lot more than ceramic cats.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wasn't going to post about this but now that the cat is out of the bag :laugh:
I informed Josh a week ago that my right side cat had broken apart inside.
He had hoped that it was an isolated case but I told him to be prepared because other people were describing the same rattle I had. I sent him a link for Magnaflow Metallic cats I saw on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MagnaFlow-H...sspagenameZWDVW
They are very high flow and are susppose to be better quality.
I hope they come up with a fast fix because it's not safe to drive the car with broken cats, they could damage the rest of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yup. i had the same problem.. i now have the offroad y pipe instead. the rattle inside the cat is gone but im still getting a rattle when my car is revving down around 3k rpm i can feel it in the shifter and i still cannot figure out what it is :\ its not the sub frame...

·
Registered
497 Posts
yup. i had the same problem.. i now have the offroad y pipe instead. the rattle inside the cat is gone but im still getting a rattle when my car is revving down around 3k rpm i can feel it in the shifter and i still cannot figure out what it is :\ its not the sub frame...
[/b]

I'm sure you checked this already, but are your falnges tightened down and all the head studs torqued back down?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I would think the issue would be to also fix the rich/lean condition as that is the source of the cats burning up.

I recall CP-E saying that people with the MAFci non-tunable that the tune was pretty much close enough.

Maybe CP-E should do a re-tune of the stock mafci box for those with it.

I wonder if the relocation/improper wiring of the O2 sensors might also be the cause as it would give incorrect readings to the ECU causing rich/lean conditions.

As for driving with broken cats, hopefully none of the ceramic backwashes into the engine and poof, engine gone.

This must be giving CP-E a headache.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
About this Discussion
291 Replies
44 Participants
spiky3480
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing