Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the CPE CAI for 1k miles now. I ordered the hydroshield recently, and when I put it on lastnight the air filter was white. I noticed also that the closer to the beginning or the end of the filter you went, the whiter it got. There's a slight hint of blue in the center of the element. I know it came blue and I'm suspecting that's the color of the oil. The car has seen 3 days of rain. Is it possible that the oil was washed off or sucked up because of the rain? Have any of you at CPE heard anything like this happening so fast?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've had the CPE CAI for 1k miles now. I ordered the hydroshield recently, and when I put it on lastnight the air filter was white. I noticed also that the closer to the beginning or the end of the filter you went, the whiter it got. There's a slight hint of blue in the center of the element. I know it came blue and I'm suspecting that's the color of the oil. The car has seen 3 days of rain. Is it possible that the oil was washed off or sucked up because of the rain? Have any of you at CPE heard anything like this happening so fast?
[/b]

It's hard to determine what's happening to the filter without actually seeing it as the filters do lose some of their color during normal operation. But, it does sound like that filter had some of its oil washed off if it really is white. If you can, just re-oil it. Since you have the hydro shield on there now, you shouldn't have anymore problems. But, after it rains, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull two of the plastic clips that hold the trim in the wheel wells to the body, and peek at the filter to see how it reacted to the rain.

Typically, the filters should be good for 20k miles or so. I just pulled the directions from one of the filters and they recommend cleaning the media every 9k miles only under extreme conditions. So, requiring a cleaning after 1k miles is not normal. If you still have problems with the filter getting wet, revive this thread and we'll work something out.

Jordan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts