Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the CPE Mafci system on my car last Oct. and was very happy with the performance and the gains. Then during my HID install in January I figured I would clean the filter as long as I had everything apart and it looked a little dirty. I followed the instructions that came with the recharge kit as I had never had a filter like this on a car before. I thought I did a good job and as the months passed I started to notice the performance of my car was lacking what it once was. I thought maybe it was the coming of spring and the warmer weather causing the CAI not to perform as well as it had been on those cold crisp winter days or perhaps it was something else. Well I got to thinking this weekend and I first remembered the performance started to drop off soon after the HID install. So I went back this weekend and looked at the filter and I am pretty sure I over oiled it. It was not too dirty, but there was evidence of too much oil on the bottom of the filter and what even looked like oils drip spots on the plastic cover that you need to pull back to get access to the filter. So I recharged it again, this time using the oil sparingly with just enough to get good coverage and now my car is running like I remember back in Oct. I also noticed that the slight high pitched squeeling sound I would hear sometimes under load is now gone. I think perhaps that sound was the air whistling as it was passing through the overoiled/dirty filter. I just though I would share my experience and perhaps get some thoughts from others who have more experience oiling the filter. How often do most people recharge the filter?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you overoiled your filter, it's more then likely your maf and IAT sensors have oil on them.

I suggest a maf cleaning to remove this excess.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...&id=62&Itemid=1
[/b]

This is also what I was afraid might of happened. Well the weather is nice so there is no better time than the present to clean them and hopefuly I will see another performance gain. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is what makes this forum so great. I was planning on recharging my filter this weekend while doing an oil change. Now I know what to look out for. Thanks...

Brooke

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I need a filter cleaning kit. I've seen several methods used, what is preferred?

Also, anyone have any experience with the new AEM Dryflow filters? You don't have to use oil.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
AH shit...that means i over oiled...and screwed up my sensor...thank you for briniging this up....i never thought this would have been an issue......how naive I can be at times!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
CLaman
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing