Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cp-e.com/2031.html

WTF? It looks like peak power is up 25HP and a max torque gain of almost 50ftlbs at 3300, with peak torque hitting 280ftlbs! I'm pretty sure i saw some posts around here saying a catback was a waste of time and money because it wasn't turbo-back, i guess that info was wrong. That torque curve is making my panties wet! :D No more dip at 3300! That's my favorite. I was going to put off my custom 3" exhaust until after i lowered it but screw that... not with those kinds of numbers! Now I'm wondering how much more a Street Concepts test pipe will add?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Tsk-Tsk CP-E.

They're using the exact same stock dyno run from months earlier when they did their CAI testing. That's not exactly kosher. Some gains are still there I'm sure, but I wouldn't trust the validity of any "XX more than stock" claims. With the highly varied nature of MS6 dyno runs, for all we know that car stock could have hit an extra 10ft-lbs over it's stock run months ago.

I'm sure they did it because the car they're testing with is no longer stock (it probably has their CAI on it amongst other things) and not because they're trying to mislead anyone. But it would be nice to see a real comparison using back-to-back runs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
oh man i cant wait to buy it. anyone know when it will be avaible?

*edit *
although i kinda wanted to go with dual exaust. ummm

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Tsk-Tsk CP-E.

They're using the exact same stock dyno run from months earlier when they did their CAI testing. That's not exactly kosher. Some gains are still there I'm sure, but I wouldn't trust the validity of any "XX more than stock" claims. With the highly varied nature of MS6 dyno runs, for all we know that car stock could have hit an extra 10ft-lbs over it's stock run months ago.

I'm sure they did it because the car they're testing with is no longer stock (it probably has their CAI on it amongst other things) and not because they're trying to mislead anyone. But it would be nice to see a real comparison using back-to-back runs.
[/b]
CP-E claim no other modifications were done to the car at the time of testing...

My only issue is as follows..

280 FT LB of torque is great.... but here a member got 270 stock...

I know the Speed6 dyno's are always all over the place... but I'm going to hold off on the exhaust until I see some DP/MP power numbers or I see other members get these gains...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
CP-E claim no other modifications were done to the car at the time of testing...

My only issue is as follows..

280 FT LB of torque is great.... but here a member got 270 stock...

I know the Speed6 dyno's are always all over the place... but I'm going to hold off on the exhaust until I see some DP/MP power numbers or I see other members get these gains...
[/b]
this member has a CAI on. his car is not stock.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
this member has a CAI on. his car is not stock.
[/b]
My god read man... if you actually spent 5 minutes reading the link you would see his stock dyno was 270 foot pounds...

·
Registered
189 Posts
25 hp from a cat back? hmm, I have a cat back and i dont think it helped 25. Maybe from a turboback exhaust 25 whp :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not too concerned about the back to back dyno run issue. Even if the gains aren't as high as the CPE charts say they are I would still do a catback just to get rid of those two dips at 3200 and 4600 and to see gains across the entire rev range. A lot of power gained at only one spot is not as good as moderate power made accross the rev range. The take away from this topic post is that our car is actually not much different than other turbocharged vehicles contrary to earlier theories about the stock exhaust not posing a bottleneck to making power until you address the downpipe.

I'm going to go make an appointment for next Sat at my local exhaust shop for a full 3" DP-back exhaust. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow, this looks almost too good to be true. Those gains after 5000 rpm... nice. I wonder how this graph would look with the AEM CAI?

I don't really want to mod the MS6 yet, but ~25hp for $600+ install (if it's true) is a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
922 Posts
honestly i really think there's something not being told there.... there's no way a freakin 3" bolt on cat back, still retaining stock DP and cat will make that kinda whp and tq... period... CPE does good shit, but it's a CATBACK... they didn't re-invent the wheel here... all cat backs are essentially the same.. usually 304 stainless, mandrel bends and a straight through muffler... quality issues make the biggest difference... metal used, weld quality, ect.

the only way i'll believe that claim is if i see an uncut straight video showing a stock baseline dyno, remove car, bolt on catback, and redyno it all in one video... other than that i gotta do it... :bsflag:

get mad if ya want to :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Even if they only got 10 whp and torque, then that would be really good for a catback exhaust
[/b]

exactly... thats why 25 whp is just crazy talk.... not to mention Mazda makes pretty damn good exhausts anyways... (little or no hp gain with magnaflows for the regular 6's) granted this is an FI motor and opening up the exhaust will net more power, i just can't believe it will net THAT much..

maybe they baselined in 4th and did a full pull with cat back in 3rd... that would definitely cause the hp and tq to varie that much.... idk

·
Registered
595 Posts
I believe you would see less horsepower dynoing in 3rd over 4th. Shouldnt you dyno in the 1:1 ratio anyway to get the most accurate results? Isnt that 5th on our tranny? I know it puts more stress on the driveline - but most shops that do it will just start the run a little higher in the rev range - around 2800rpms or so instead of 2000rpms. We have the torque down low anyway, so the engine would be able to pull through fast enough in the low rpms. Its not like we have a honda with 40 ft lbs of torque from 1000-5000rpms.

·
Registered
922 Posts
just for comparisons sake and get a feel of what an incredible feat it would be to get this power from a cat back alone....

here's an exhaust for an EVO 8. it netted 25hp on the dyno as well. a few things though... it's a complete turbo back system including a test pipe which mean NO cat... all this on a car that IMO responds to modification alot better than the speed6 does anyways... again just FYI

25whp

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
ack, hawaiian, i was just gonna post the same thing. :D

but instead, heres a catback on the evo.

http://vividracing.com/catalog/product_inf...4c28fe903e715ca

depending on where the restrictions are in the exhaust system, eliminating single sections can produce high numbers. in our case, it may be possible that the bottlenecking and 90s at the Y along with the mufflers could have been the major restriction. someone had posted that the dp was a good size already. now if u were to dyno the test pipe along with this catback, u will see how much restriction the second cat produces.

·
Registered
595 Posts
well, I just say that we should wait until a few owners get it and dyno it. No sense bashing before we get more examples. I cant wait until CP-E releases the dual exhaust option - shouldnt be too long hopefully now that the single is out. Hope it isnt more than $100 more though. I am thinking of the CP-E catback with the cat delete pipe from RPM - keeps the stock O2 sensors in their original place for us in the Emissions testing states, while opening up most of the exhaust.

·
Registered
922 Posts
ryceboi, you may be right.... i always thought the biggest restrictions were up by the motor for the speed6.also that dyno graph says BB turbo back and that can't be a stock EVO 8... the baseline HP is like 300... it doesn't even make that much motor hp stock... LOL and by the graph it's making closer to
30 whp...

seems to me like alot of manufacturers use already modified cars when doing a stock vs. xxxx comparison...

someone get eme the number to BBB... :)

hey i say all the speed6 owners hit these guys up and see if they would be interested in fabbin up some stuff for the mazda... their downpipe is the crack over in the SRT world... one of these would be a monster on teh speed6:

All Business

also they make an electronic version so you can open it on the go... madness

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it's kinda funny how everyone was praising cp-e and dissing aem for the cai. and now that cp-e comes out with the catback, everyone is doubting their numbers. i thought most of you guys were loyal to cp-e and believed that they put a lot of effort into r&d and customer satisfaction. i, for one, am very impressed with these numbers and will be one of the first to test these out on my ride.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
About this Discussion
133 Replies
44 Participants
Dspec
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing