Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Josh, Anthony & Lou, welcome to the board!

Got a question on your MS6 products.

Are you contemplating pulling together a "package" deal on the MS6?

For example, intake/FMIC/downpipe (w/ or w/o cat)/exhaust/tuning at a price slightly below these parts individually.

As I have the intake already, I would be interested in an entire package (as set out above minus intake) with a tune set for such a package.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Josh, Anthony & Lou, welcome to the board!

Got a question on your MS6 products.

Are you contemplating pulling together a "package" deal on the MS6?

For example, intake/FMIC/downpipe (w/ or w/o cat)/exhaust/tuning at a price slightly below these parts individually.

As I have the intake already, I would be interested in an entire package (as set out above minus intake) with a tune set for such a package.

Thoughts?
[/b]

Hey Dave! ;)

We definitely have this idea in mind, but we're a ways away from deciding prices and disconuts. We still have several weeks of development left on the tuning solution and the intercooler, and we'll have a better idea of the final prices in the near future. But to answer your question, yes, we do want to offer some kind of package deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just so you know, I would be VERY intrested in a package deal like this.

What tuneability does the MS6 have? Would you just do a reflash of the ECU, or is some type of standalone going to be required?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just so you know, I would be VERY intrested in a package deal like this.

What tuneability does the MS6 have? Would you just do a reflash of the ECU, or is some type of standalone going to be required?
[/b]

I'll pass on the word that people are interested in some kind of package deal. Like I said, we have considered it, but getting feedback from you guys in important for us. So, thanks.

Some companies have developed tuning solutions for the SPEED6 and they seem to be working very well. I read a thread just recently (I think it's still on the front page of the MS6 engine subforum) where the TurboXS guys got like a solid 40hp from a little boost and air/fuel tuning. I have no doubt about their claim as the SPEED6 runs unbelieveably rich. It's in the 9.X:1 range towards redline! We don't know exactly how rich it gets as the dynojet software we were using only read down to 10:1 :D

Companies have been able to tune the SPEED6's air/fuel and boost curves, but as of yet have been unable to adjust ignition timing. Ignition timing is imperative on a turbocharged (or supercharged) engine because as boost levels deviate from the stock timing tables, they're no longer ideal, and this leaves a lot of untapped power. This is because as boost increases, the effective compression ratio changes, and the fuel mixture is optimized, resulting in a much faster, more efficient burn. But proper ignition timing should always be proportional to the flame speed within the combustion chamber in order to reduce the chance of detonation and make the most power possible. As the flame speed increases, timing needs to be retarded to prevent high cylinder pressures that can lead to detonation. Increasing boost pressure is just one factor that increases flame speed.

So, we're developing an air/fuel, timing, and boost controller piggyback unit for the SPEED6. This will enable the end-user to fine tune his/her engine and get every ounce of power possible out of it. We're really excited about this project, and will keep the board updated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Package deal sounds great to me too! All the goodies at once :) Might be nice for some to have different upgrade packages:
Stage 1 - Intake, Exhaust
Stage 2 - DP, Motor Mount, Intercooler
Stage 3 - Turbo, BOV, Tuning
Ultimate package - all of it!!!
For me though, I just want it all. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, we're developing an air/fuel, timing, and boost controller piggyback unit for the SPEED6. This will enable the end-user to fine tune his/her engine and get every ounce of power possible out of it. We're really excited about this project, and will keep the board updated.
[/b]
Sounds good. I have a standalone with spark timing, and VE tables for my mx6, so I dont think any new tuning software would be unrealistcally hard to lpick up...

Any ideas on the cost of this piggyback unit, and will you be attemptine a PnP unit, or some wiring needed?

I am not worried about the wiring, but i know most people like PnP so when something goes wrong they can "blame" the unit....

Anyways, Im ver excited to hear that these things are going to be in the works.. :drive:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds good. I have a standalone with spark timing, and VE tables for my mx6, so I dont think any new tuning software would be unrealistcally hard to lpick up...

Any ideas on the cost of this piggyback unit, and will you be attemptine a PnP unit, or some wiring needed?

I am not worried about the wiring, but i know most people like PnP so when something goes wrong they can "blame" the unit....

Anyways, Im ver excited to hear that these things are going to be in the works.. :drive:
[/b]

The software should be pretty straightforward. If you already have experience tuning load and timing tables, then you should be fine.

Right now we're aiming for $500 for the non-PNP, and I'm sorry to say for the PNP, we're going to have to tack on another $200-$300. The reason is the connectors for the MS6 are outrageously expensive. So not surprisingly, we imagine most people will go for the non-PNP.

We're excited for it too. I can't wait to see how much power the SPEED6 is capable of with a proper tune!

Jordan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I got the PnP for my mx6. The megasquirt itself was about 300, and I ended up paying 650 after the coilpack upgrades, fans, vris, PnP, ect.

So i wouldnt say 250-300 is a bad price for a PnP upgrade.

Any ideas of the hardware your using? Let me know if i hit one on the head. Link, SDS, Megasquirt, AEM?

(probablly not a AEM for that price though?)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I got the PnP for my mx6. The megasquirt itself was about 300, and I ended up paying 650 after the coilpack upgrades, fans, vris, PnP, ect.

So i wouldnt say 250-300 is a bad price for a PnP upgrade.

Any ideas of the hardware your using? Let me know if i hit one on the head. Link, SDS, Megasquirt, AEM?

(probablly not a AEM for that price though?)
[/b]

I'm glad you're not taken aback by the price because many times people scoff at the idea of paying $200-300 more for the PNP version. I mean, we're not scamming anyone or making rediculous margins here, that's just how much the stuff costs. But, seeing that you're already familiar with the tuning market, you know how this stuff goes...

Believe it or not, the hardware is all designed and built here in-house by Lou, our electrical engineer. He was the guy who developed our MAFci system, and the tuning package is basically an extension of that. He also figured out how to adjust boost and timing through our hardware. He's really a talented guy.

He's slowly but surely making progress each day, so hopefully we'll have something to show for it soon.

Jordan

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Sounds great. Likeeveryone else, I cannot wait.

How would the tuning be done though? A shop laptop or... ?

I think I recall that CP-E will provide maps based on CP-E product setups (intake+exhaust) (DP+Exhaust), etc.

Sounds great. hope everything comes along nice :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would assume that you would need a laptop to interface with the tuning unit.

Thats basically the only way you can get in and change the parameters....

Im sure tehy will provide base maps which will get you close, but every car is diffrent, (even new ones) and there will be some fine tuning needed. Especially since people have other intakes like the AEM and Mazdaspeed, ect.

But yes, I would assume they would provide a base map, otherwise there are VE table calculators out there that can get your car at least started. :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds great. Likeeveryone else, I cannot wait.

How would the tuning be done though? A shop laptop or... ?

I think I recall that CP-E will provide maps based on CP-E product setups (intake+exhaust) (DP+Exhaust), etc.

Sounds great. hope everything comes along nice :)
[/b]

StealthMx6 is right on. All tuning is done through a laptop. You're basically editing look-up tables the PCM uses when it isn't in closed-loop operation. So when you go to wide open throttle, YOU can tell the computer how much timing to use, or how much boost the wastegate should allow.

For example, if you have a wideband and you register a lean spot under WOT throttle at say, 5200rpm, you can edit a numerical value in the table to command slightly more fuel at that particular spot. Floor it again, watch the wideband, and you should read richer at 5200rpm. Pretty cool stuff.

Jordan

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
any idea how many points of adjustment there will be? will it be similar to the TurboXS UTEC? that being u control the fuel, timing, and boost for a throttle position of 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. and RPM's of 1000, 2000, etc.

also, will it have a knock sensor interface?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most standalones are run on 12X12 tables.

Base megasquirt runs a 8X8 which is horrible for getting a good tune, but if you update your firmsware and revisions you can get 12X12's (Im running 12X12 for fuel and spark)

I think AEM has a 16X16 table for their fuel, not sure on the spark...

Heres an example of megasquirt software. Im sure its going to be a similar interface to this. :D

Fuel VE table example.

Ignition Timing table example

·
Registered
886 Posts
any idea how many points of adjustment there will be? will it be similar to the TurboXS UTEC? that being u control the fuel, timing, and boost for a throttle position of 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. and RPM's of 1000, 2000, etc.

also, will it have a knock sensor interface?
[/b]

I really don't have that information to be honest. Lou is still in the development stage, so I think most of the software he's using right now is pretty basic, and not a good representative of the final version. I assume once he finishes the hardware side, then he'll concentrate on making a user-friendly software interface.

We work odd hours, but I'll see if I can catch him sometime for an update, and pick his brain about how he wants his tuner to operate. I'll update this thread or start a new one with some more info for you guys.

Jordan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts