Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking that one mod is some serious bang for the buck, just trying to justify the $100 or more difference for the CPE. I see it (CPE) does include an 02 simulator (I'm guessing that's what they use). My state only does the inspection electronically, so I'm wondering what other reasons I would want to keep the cat. I guess I might not want to smell like raw fuel either.......

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Well, it depends on your future plans. If you're going to eventually go with a turbo upgrade, are you set on the ATP, or would you still consider CP-E? If no turbo upgrade is in your future, I beleive the CP-E dp is better for the stock turbo because:

A) It has a more defined bellmouth.
B) It has a smoother transition from bellmouth to pipe.
C) It is available with a cat.
D) If you get the catless, but then change your mind, you can put a cat in without needing an O2 extension.
E) Thanks to yours truely, CP-E might be able to completely eliminate the CEL from the catless version.

On the other hand, if you plan on playing around with different turbos, the V-band is nice. I had one one my evo and it worked with all four turbo swaps I did. I had to do a little welding when I went to a divorced wastegate, but the downpipe worked none-the-less. It all depends on your intentions. Back to back, I doubt there would be any noticable SOTP differences between the two.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I get my downpipe on the 7th (ATP DP) I'll be writing a review and making some videos to help make your decision but on the other hand CP-e makes great products, I just chose ATP because its much cheaper and eventually I will be upgrading my turbo. (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Even if you order the ATP DP, which is cheaper, won't you still have to buy their $100 adapter anyways?

THen that seems to put the CPE and ATP on the same price level.

THen it would come down to future plans.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Even if you order the ATP DP, which is cheaper, won't you still have to buy their $100 adapter anyways?

THen that seems to put the CPE and ATP on the same price level.

THen it would come down to future plans.
[/b]
It comes with EVERTHING you need to connect the downpipe.

You can order the v-band flanges separately to make your own custom DP.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have no plans on messing with the turbo any time soon since I'm broke. I know my Z28 smelled like a fuel spill as did I when it had no cats.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The ATP downpipe comes with the flange already for the advertised price. I would go with ATP just because future turbo uprgrades are a possibility even though I doubt I would ever upgrade. I just can't seem to pay the price CPE is charging for a piece of pipe. Thats just me and I know someone is going to jump on here and say well the quality is great and you are paying for there highly tested research, but I do not buy it. It still causes a cell without tricking the ECU. Might as well pay less and trick the system then pay more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know CP-E is coming out with a new MZR turbo but are their any other possible turbo upgrades with the CP-E dp? Would it not be feasible or possible to make the ATP Garret turbos fit to the CP-E dp? The reason I ask is because I plan on a turbo upgrade down the line but im set on the CP-E downpipe because you have room to install a cut-out before the cat. If their is a way on the ATP down pipe you will change my mind but I just dont see how its possible to install the cut-out before the cat on theATP down pipe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I know CP-E is coming out with a new MZR turbo but are their any other possible turbo upgrades with the CP-E dp? Would it not be feasible or possible to make the ATP Garret turbos fit to the CP-E dp? The reason I ask is because I plan on a turbo upgrade down the line but im set on the CP-E downpipe because you have room to install a cut-out before the cat. If their is a way on the ATP down pipe you will change my mind but I just dont see how its possible to install the cut-out before the cat on theATP down pipe.
[/b]

There is no cat on the ATP DP, its a flex pipe.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
cp-e wont be working on turbo upgrades also in the future? They probably will since they have to keep up with their competitors in order to do bussiness. Just my opinion maybe im ignorant and retarded but that is kool to.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you live in a good 'ole red state (mostly) and don't have emissions testing, catless is the way to go. Less restriction.

MOVE THAT AIR, BABY!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
cp-e wont be working on turbo upgrades also in the future? They probably will since they have to keep up with their competitors in order to do bussiness. Just my opinion maybe im ignorant and retarded but that is kool to.
[/b]
They are working on a turbo upgrade, it'll probably be a Garret or Turbonetics. Sounds nice.

BTW, I have my new still in box 'NIB' CP-E turboback exhaust - catless going up for sale soon. I'm going with a different upgrade path. It'll be in the Buy/Sell forums soon.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
They are working on a turbo upgrade, it probably be a Garret or Turbonetics. Sounds nice.
BTW, I have my new still in box 'NIB' CP-E turboback exhaust - catless going up for sale soon. I'm going with a different upgrade path. It'll be in the Buy/Sell forums soon.
[/b]
SOmeone will get some nice use out of that. I'm going custom cat-back and then I'm going to put a catless downpipe in later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to get the one with the cat so that <strike>when I get pulled over</strike> if I get pulled over and they check, I dont be screwed until I have to take it in for testing.

Oh how I love california :irate:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Choose ATP because CP-E has been robbing everybody with their prices. $500 for a freak'n mandrel bent steel tube? I can get one for $120 shipped for my STi on ebay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts