Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering around how much bhp my car will have once i installe the cp-e mafci, not wheel hp im talking base hp.? my car is the 2006 mazda 6 s 3.0 MTX rated at 215 hp stock...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i appreciate it. I was just curious as to how many base hp id have. Wheel hp means nothing to me.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
But wheel horsepower is the power that matters...

You could have a car with 600 bhp, but if it only gets 200 of that to the ground...its kinda of useless.

Plus bhp ratings are usually off from whatever the manfacturer tells you. So even though mazda says you have 215bhp, you might actually only have 210bhp. So trying to guess your actual bhp is kinda of difficult. I assume you just want a number to brag to people about. In which case, just add 15-20 to your current number.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks i appreciate it. I was just curious as to how many base hp id have. Wheel hp means nothing to me.
[/b]
:huh:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I tell people roughly 200 hp even now with the Mafci installed (which is still an overestimate)....then I briefly explain to them how the mfg usually 'make up' the advertised hp rating, and convienently omit the powerloss through the transmission...at which point they look at me like I have 3 eyes or something.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I tell people roughly 200 hp even now with the Mafci installed (which is still an overestimate)....then I briefly explain to them how the mfg usually 'make up' the advertised hp rating, and convienently omit the powerloss through the transmission...at which point they look at me like I have 3 eyes or something.
[/b]
i don't think i'd say "how the mfg usually 'make up' the advertised hp rating, and convienently omit the powerloss through the transmission". manufactures, all manufactures follow SAE guidelines for computing horsepower ratings at the flywheel.

the only way to know your vehicles actual horsepower at the wheels is to dyno the car.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
But I'm sure there is some contstant rounding up going on throughout all the calculations.
[/b]
i'd say no. SAE- the Society of Automotive Engineers, a collective of professional engineers of all facets defines the test procedures for horsepower & torque. the test procedures are the same for all car manufactures who want their power certified by SAE. the test procedures are very precise and don't include "rounding up".

if you're interested visit http://www.sae.org/servlets/index.

the power test procedures were actually refined about two years ago to ensure uniformity of testing between all automotive manufactures.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! WHY????????
[/b]

Bragging rights to his friends maybe. 200 to the wheels still sounds less then 240 to a car noobie.

I usually say "just under 200 to the wheels, and roughly 235-236 at the crank".

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly if i tell people i have 178 whp they will be like damm your car must be slow, but if you tell them you have like 240 bhp that sounds so much better. Plus a lot of people dont know the difference between the two so its easier to say my car has 240 hp! Which i know my car doesnt have i was just using that number as an example.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I was just wondering around how much bhp my car will have once i installe the cp-e mafci, not wheel hp im talking base hp.? my car is the 2006 mazda 6 s 3.0 MTX rated at 215 hp stock...
[/b]
Tell them your car produces roughly 35,000 cal/s at the wheels. That should impress them. :yesnod: If it doesnt, say it makes 150,000 watts.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Tell them your car produces roughly 35,000 cal/s at the wheels. That should impress them. :yesnod: If it doesnt, say it makes 150,000 watts.
[/b]
why don't we use watts anyways? power expressed in watts is universal.

1 horsepower = 746 watts

·
Registered
150 Posts
why don't we use watts anyways? power expressed in watts is universal.

1 horsepower = 746 watts
[/b]
K, so all I need is a DeLorean and mod it up to 1,621,983.914 hp.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing