Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
What kind of problems?

Are you afraid of hydrolocking?

If so, then don't drive through 2-3 foot deep puddles and you'll be fine. It's been mentioned plenty of times that the only way to suck water up the intake is by completely submerging the filter, and with how high the filter sits, you would have been screwed if you were still stock anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Do you mean sucking in water through the intake and hydrolocking? Best way to avoid is it to not try and ford rivers with your 6 :p There have abeen a few members that have hydrolocked, but if you are careful it is very hard to do. Inline filters don't seem to be highly recommended for any intakes on our car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so water splashing up from normal everyday rain wont cause hydro lock my car is dropped im not dumb enough to drive through a river but if i do hit like a descent puddle will i be ok

·
Registered
935 Posts
I hereby resurrect this thread...

I also have the CPE intake and there is a decent-sized puddle (maybe 2" deep) that I have to drive through on the way to my apartment (there is now way around it, it goes across the whole entry road). I am over-cautious by nature, so whenever I get to the puddle I let off the gas and coast the car through at idle, then gas it once I am through. The water splashes pretty high normally, at least up to the bottom of my drivers side window when I pass through at 15-20 mph.

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I think I read that the small amounts of water (if any) that are sucked into the intake when splashing through a puddle are insignificant and will simply burn off (evaporate) due to the high temperature in the engine cylinders. It takes more than a few drops to saturate the A/F mix and cause a hydrolocking situation, I think.

-steve

·
Registered
810 Posts
If so, then don't drive through 2-3 foot deep puddles and you'll be fine. It's been mentioned plenty of times that the only way to suck water up the intake is by completely submerging the filter, and with how high the filter sits, you would have been screwed if you were still stock anyway.
[/b]
2" < 2'

try sucking water out of a cup with 2 straws. one is inside the cup and the other one is outside. it's pretty hard.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I hereby resurrect this thread...

I also have the CPE intake and there is a decent-sized puddle (maybe 2" deep) that I have to drive through on the way to my apartment (there is now way around it, it goes across the whole entry road). I am over-cautious by nature, so whenever I get to the puddle I let off the gas and coast the car through at idle, then gas it once I am through. The water splashes pretty high normally, at least up to the bottom of my drivers side window when I pass through at 15-20 mph.
[/b]
A 2" puddle would definitely not cause any problems. Remember, there is a splash guard underneath the car that would prevent water from splashing up and directly hitting the filter. The only way to get water in there is if your car were to be submerged up to the top of the wheel well, and as someone else said, in that situation you'd be screwed anyway. :)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
If the surface of the water is moving, and you cannot see the bottom, detour around it. There are dangers worse than hydrolocking when entering water.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If the surface of the water is moving, and you cannot see the bottom, detour around it. There are dangers worse than hydrolocking when entering water.
[/b]
Damn alligator bit my hand off! :laugh:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just think back to oregon trail. Do you try and ford the river? Or do you take the ferry?
[/b]
Yeah last time I tried driving through a really deep puddle I got cholera and died. Luckily, I recovered.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
How did you recover after you died??? I want to KNOW!

·
Registered
634 Posts
How did you recover after you died??? I want to KNOW!
[/b]
Chuck Norris gave him a roundhouse kick to the chest less than 30 seconds after he expired. This had the combined effect of CPR, 200,000 volts of electricity, and 1,000 cc's of adrenaline all at once, and it revived him instantly.

:p

O

·
0 Posts
hey i have mesh in my grille, instead of plastic. and i noticed that when i did the sides, they were just simulated, instead of open mesh, if it rains will i be likely to hydrolock?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
hey i have mesh in my grille, instead of plastic. and i noticed that when i did the sides, they were just simulated, instead of open mesh, if it rains will i be likely to hydrolock?
[/b]
NO!!!! omfg...i drove through a flooded street (water OVER my wheel wells) and the car was FINE. There were people with 6s that did it with a CAI AND WERE FUCKING FINE! STOP ASKING! NO NO NO NONONO.

j/p :p :nana:

·
Registered
810 Posts
hey.. would i hydrolock my car if i get some water on my car during a freak water gun fight accident?

:sarc:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
21 Replies
17 Participants
Indy MPS6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing