Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed the cp-e intake last week, and well, i wasnt very impressed, it hisses, makes cool noises, its loud, it seems a little bit quicker, mebbe. placebo effect?

everyone says that its a huge difference and its a different car when you install it, im not feeling whatever power they are referring to. some say it shifted the powerband 3k, what?

hell, according to the dynos i should have more torque at 2750 rpm than i ever had in the car before. that is DEFINATLEY not the case... http://www.cp-e.com/imgs/MAFmazda6stq.gif

map switch at 4500? vvt at 4500? the car just seems a little quicker due to the cai mebbe, but i feel no 'tone drop' or any noticable increase in power at 4500, or at 80%-100% throttle, where the car should enter open loop and the cp-e box should tell the computer whats up.

basically, i feel like this guy... ( i searched for someone with the same issue and his is very similar, infact he has the same year as i, 05, that is, skim over the thread..) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=31919&hl=

comments? has anyone heard about the computer possibly having to learn everything again for awhile or what is going on?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hey Arch, I definitley felt the same way when I first got mine installed. I have always thought maybe there was somethin wrong with the BOX because it was never a drastic change. MAYBE a little quick but not by much I wouldn't say.

So the guy in that thread said he took the trip down there and they checked it out and he had his problem fixed. That might solve things, but I really don't know.

I too have the 2005 6s ATX.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Maybe your expectations are too high? I know reading from this forumn alot of people are talking as if its a turbo add on -- which it aint. And readers may get the impression it is.

Did you have any CAI on before? Because that would also shift your expectations. Remember, Torque is felt, whereas HP is measured. Since the torque curve is pretty flat (which is a good thing) it'll be hard to 'feel' torque changes.

And also, those CP-E dyno's are for an MTX. Your mileage will very with an ATX.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Maybe your expectations are too high? I know reading from this forumn alot of people are talking as if its a turbo add on -- which it aint. And readers may get the impression it is.
[/b]
That's definately part of it. It gets hyped up so much you expect the power to smack you, but since the power delivery is smooth, it's very deceptive.

Just make sure it's connected right. If you can do some 0-60 times or dyno, then you would be able to see if it's working.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
based on the dynos, like i said i should have more torque at 2750 rpm than i ever had in the car before. that is DEFINATLEY not the case...

the car seems a little more lively, the noise makes it seem livelier, but torque steer? no. losing traction on the stockers at the end of first gear when its cold out? no.

was i like holy shit when i put it on, not really. it just seems like an intake, not that much more power, i might have a bit more torque at the higher rpms like a normal intake would, but man i definatley dont have more torque than stock at 2750 rpm. thats for sure.

im going to solder them when i get home, i know you guys will all immediatley cite that as the problem from the start but i was 150% careful while putting those scotchlocks on, i could probably test for a connection on all of them and get a positive with my multimeter.

the reason why i posted this was perhaps other people had heard of a similar issue as the guy in the thread i linked to, where it takes a while for the cpu to relearn life with the mafci, i dont see how this is possible but apparently it happened and perhaps it was an issue with the 05's.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how bout this, what if i disconnect the box, and connect the 2 maf wires, and if i dont notice a change, then, that would be a 100% showing what is going on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i'll drive up to state and you can put it on my car and we'll see if there is a difference =P hahaha

but for real, i'm interested in hearing what happens. this was definitely on the mods list.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have an 05 6s with 5 speed, my CP-E has been on about three weeks. I noticed a little more pull on part throttle, where i notice the most is from a standing start and WOT, it pulls much harder especially above 4K

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I would say go to a dyno. Do two runs with the CPE & mafci, then do 1 with the box removed and the maf wires reconnected (get the cable cap to cap off the CPE connector) Mike2005 i believe did an awesome writeup for a quick "how to".

If you show no drop in power, the box is simply keeping the maf wires connected, but not doing anything else. Should see atleast 8ish hp drop i would say (experts, correct me if im wrong) I am going to do this myself because i am curious as to how much the box adds. I do feel a good increase in power above 4.5K, im just curious. Maybe im supposed to fell more, who knows.

P.S. Make sure your car is properly warmed up because until it is, you wont feel VVT period... let alone the maf box.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill connect those two wires and drive around a bit see if i notice a difference

there will be a dyno at the mid ohio meet, ill probably get it dyno'd there, we'll see, tho thats may 20th.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ill connect those two wires and drive around a bit see if i notice a difference
there will be a dyno at the mid ohio meet, ill probably get it dyno'd there, we'll see, tho thats may 20th.
[/b]
You expect me to wait till the 20th!?!? jk, post if there is a change after you remove it plz.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
arch...did you get yours out of the christmas group buy?

i figure if we can isolate a few people with the problem to when they bought it, it might help...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Why is there a problem with it? I did. Ill get mine dynoed before i say its not working right.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
44 Participants
RottenWillow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing