Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering making my own CAI, mainly because I'm not too excited about the cost of the CP-E CAI.

I would bend my own pipe and run in down into the front wheel well with a cone filter, etc.

But it sounds like I'm almost guaranteed to throw CEL's...

So the question: could I use the CP-E Injen Fix with my own custom pipe? Or will it only work with the Injen?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Only with the injen. The maf adjustments are based off a flow benched intake pipe. In this case, either the injen intake, or the CP-E intake.

Techincally about 90% of the gains from intakes aren't from the pipes themselves, but the A/F adjustments. You could just buy the tunable mafci, and keep the stock airbox, and you'd probably get about a 10-14 whp gain (6s). Total gain would be dependent on the PCM revision, and the tolerances of your particular vehicle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean adding the tunable MAFci in conjunction with gutting the airbox mod and removing the resonator?

Or just doing nothing other than adding the MAFci to the stock setup?

I'm surprised to hear that so much of the gains are simply due to the tunable MAFci. Wouldn't we see more (any?) tales of people simply doing that and saving some money over the full setup?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Probably because they still have to pay money to tune it on the dyno..where as the mafci full system is already tuned and setup.

ALL intakes get most of their gains through adjustments of the A/F ratios. Very little is too to the removal of restriction. I'd say 5-7 whp max from the restriction...the rest is A/F tuning.

I'd gander the airbox mods themselves are probably worth about 3-5.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i would stick to using the parts with the intakes they are designed for. since they are dyno tuned and known to work. you might not save much money in the long tryin to piece something together. i would just say, man up and spend the extra cash, it is more than worth the money. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you want to go ghetto....
- hack up the MAF housing from the stock airbox
- attach a intake hose coupler to the MAF housing
- get piping and route into fender
- attach cone filter to end of piping

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
flarearrow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing