Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um.. yeah im under the impression that stainless steel ISNT supposed to rust but ive been keeping an eye on my front header here and it appears as if it is rusting.. i have a closeup shot of it here.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4516261

now im not an expert or anything but im pretty sure thats rust heh.. what do you suggest?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Damn it!!! not another issue...I'm hoping that this will be resolved quickly...Now I'm gonna have to check mine once I get my car back from the shop...If this turn out to be true, CP-E's reputation is lost (no matter how good their customer service is)...But I'll give Josh and Jordan a chance to give their opinion...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im gonna take a wire brush to it tomorrow morning and see if its not just something that stuck to it and is rusting who knows. I havent even had these on that long so far it seems to be the front header only last time i checked the y pipe it was fine. im not sure about the rear header because its hard to see.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know dude everything i seem to buy goes to crap lol.. First the cats die then i get the y pipe from kooks and it rattles horribly. Im getting cat efficiency cel's and now the rusting.. what the hell else is gonna happen. And to top it off 3 ignition coils went bad on my car a few weeks ago that had to be replaced and the car had 33,000 miles at the time. im just not very happy with wuts going on :\

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shouldnt have to coat them to avoid the rust (atleast this early) i have friends that have had headers on their car without being coated that havent rusted and theyve had their headers on alot longer than i have.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My headers have been on for over a year and living in NE Ohio, I don't have any rust to date.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah well go figure its only me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I know dude everything i seem to buy goes to crap lol.. First the cats die then i get the y pipe from kooks and it rattles horribly. Im getting cat efficiency cel's and now the rusting.. what the hell else is gonna happen. And to top it off 3 ignition coils went bad on my car a few weeks ago that had to be replaced and the car had 33,000 miles at the time. im just not very happy with wuts going on :\[/b]

Alright, let's talk this through Daishi.

First off, stainless steel isn't impervious to corrosion, it is just "corrosion resistant." So over time it will begin to rust to some degree depending on how much chromium and nickle it was alloyed with. However, by adding more elements into the mix, you change other properties of the metal, so you need to create a fine balance between corrosion resistance and material strength. For headers (like the CPE headers), 304 stainless is a pretty much the standard, with 321 stainless being somewhat better at nearly twice the cost of 304. But it looks like if you take a wire brush to the headers, you'd knock most of that junk off of the surface if it really bothers you.

Second, you should not be getting cat efficiency CELs. Ever. If you are, you need to give us a call and let Josh know asap. I'll mention it to him though and see what he has to say about it.

Again, we're really sorry for all the issue you guys have experienced with these headers. If you haven't lost all hope, give us some more time and we'll try to make things right.

Jordan

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
that rust looks nasty. definitely +1 to get the headers coated.

by the way, i've heard u're not supposed to use steel brushes to clean rust. apparently makes it worse.

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/ideasbysu...nsteeldonts.htm
Do not use steel wool or steel brushes.
These products leave little particles in the surface of the steel and inevitably these particles begin rusting and staining the surface of the steel.[/b]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its p0421 and p0431 im getting and the only way to fix that would be the J bung i dont have the time to drive many hours to come down to cp-e especially with school starting and with work i also want to get rid of this retarded rattle im about 99 percent sure its the cats on their that kooks put on are just retarded.. I mean eventualy yeah it will rust but i didnt think it would rust this soon less than a year of running these didnt even really go through any winters lol its been warm. I wish i had gotten them coated before but its too late now cuz if i take them off to have them sent out i have no car for god knows how long.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
that rust looks nasty. definitely +1 to get the headers coated.[/b]
That rust looks pretty much just surface... surface rust = not nasty.

·
Registered
886 Posts
its p0421 and p0431 im getting and the only way to fix that would be the J bung i dont have the time to drive many hours to come down to cp-e especially with school starting and with work i also want to get rid of this retarded rattle im about 99 percent sure its the cats on their that kooks put on are just retarded.. I mean eventualy yeah it will rust but i didnt think it would rust this soon less than a year of running these didnt even really go through any winters lol its been warm. I wish i had gotten them coated before but its too late now cuz if i take them off to have them sent out i have no car for god knows how long.[/b]

First off, Spidy, thanks for the correction. I actually didn't know wire brushes were a no-no for stainless.

A couple question for you Daishi:

1. Did you try splicing into the oxygen sensor wires? Have you checked their condition lately?

2. Have you recently replaced the oxygen sensor?

The reason I ask is because we had someone, not long ago, who got the same codes you're getting. Once we got his car on our lift, it was pretty obvious that the wires were hanging on the manifold and just burnt through. If you get a chance and can just peek at the wires to see their condition, that'd be huge.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wires are fine they were soldered on and arent even close to any thing hot. the o2 sensors were replaced with brand new ones. Ive always gotten thos cels from the day they were put in. when i went to the dealer for the ignition coil problem they plugged in their scanner to the car and we went for a drive the tech told me the o2 sensors were all working properly and sending out the right information. Ive spoken to josh on this issue before and many people had these cels im assuming these cats arent as efficient as stock and when the car reads it, it just throws the cel. I was told that the only fix is the j bung which moves the o2 sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust so it tricks it.

Everything about my install is fine.. no leaks anywhere the o2 sensors are plugged into the correct places and are tied away from anything hot and are soldered as far as the rattle the headers arent touching anything i believe its the kooks cats taht were put on because before that it didnt rattle.. I think half of the issues that people are getting could of been solved if these headers were actualy tested.. If they were tested more than a day you guys would of found out about the magnaflow cats and completely avoided that issue and also avoided the rattling issue. I understand your need to exhaust all possibilities before you do anything about it but believe me when i say this ive done many things to figure out what this rattling could be and everything points to the cats.

Just to make sure it wasnt a heatshield i shoved a crapload of towels behind any of the heatshields to the point where they were not moving what so ever so its not a heatshield i banged on the pipes the thing is solid i could do pullups on thos things thats how solid it is. Like i said earlier the dealer did say my o2 sensors were working 100% because they used their scanner and recorded the data while i was driving. Im not the type of person to go blaming people without trying to do the best i can to figure out what the problem is. I paid over 1500 bucks for a set of headers from a company that everyone here recommends and ive already had to replace parts on the system and the thing rattles to shit sounds like an ebay exhaust for a 1980 civic not to meantion the 670 dollar injen exhaust i have on their ive put countless hours into this car and at this point im not too happy at how this issue is being dealt with. Ive asked many people with the headers and they are having the SAME issues im having

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
That rust looks pretty much just surface... surface rust = not nasty.[/b]
I would have to agree. There is no true etching or pitting yet.
If you can I would take them back off and coat them.
I wish you better luck than it sounds like you have been having!!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cant be without a car for 1-2 weeks time and im not spending money on a rental AGAIN lol. I know someone with coated headers maybe we can work something out.. but whats more important right now is getting this annoying rattle fixed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jordan & Daishi,
Why don't you guys meet at a half way point between you and swap cars for a couple of days?
Daishi, I feel your pain. The rattle is driving me crazy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts