Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Sorry this took awhile but here is the review of the Front Mount Intercooler. First things first.... my initial reaction.... WOW~!!!!!! As someone stated before, the difference between the FMIC and TMIC is like night and day. This was truely the key to unlocking the true potential of the Mazdaspeed 6. Coming from a history of turbo cars, this is what i expected. Some power gains with cooling of the engine, an increase in lag, a more efficient cooling system. My expectations were some what correct. I quickly felt a HUGE power gain. Even the turbo was reacting a little different. I did not have a boost controller on and yet the boost as holding a little higher then before. Normally my car would peak boost at about 17-18psi, then drop to 15psi, then drop to 10psi by redline. The boost spikes not at about 16-17 psi and it holds until redline where it drops to about 13psi. And yes i can definately feel the difference in boost. Before i could literly feel the car fall on its face by the time i'm at redline. Now the boost feels a lot linear as does the drop off. As far as EGT's there is a significant drop in EGT temps as well. At WOT without the intercooler the EGT would peak at about 1400-1450 degrees. The drop down of EGT temps was slow and settled at around 1250-1300. After the intercooler i'm only seeing a peak of 1230-1300 at WOT. The drop off after letting off the gas drops very quickly and settles at around 1150-1200. My butt dyno says there is a HUGE gain, and my butt dyno feelings have been proven as well. There is a car that i consistantly speak about. This is my team mates supercharged g35. Even from the outside he tells me he can see a significant gain in power. When we roll together, he does not roll out as hard on me as he used to before. Also there is another team mate of mine with an subaru STI (Turbo back exhaust, cobb stage 2 tuning, intake, weight reduction, hks bov) that i always lost to. We did a quick run and i actually pulled on him(just a little bit but enough to know who won). Again this proves there has been a great gain. As far as the design of the intercooler, CP-E opted for a APS style intercooler which features columns instead of rows. This design spreads the air more efficiently and allows air to be more efficient then the tradition row style cores. The core is a perfect match for the car. I feel no lag with the turbo, and the turbo is spooling just as if it had a TMIC. The piping has been routed in the shortest path possible. Again per request of CP-E i can not discuss the details yet. But i have seen a few other intercoolers and i can tell you, the piping is much shorter then the others. The pipes are truely doing their jobs. The pipe coming off the turbo (hot pipe) is remaining hot, while the return pipe to the intake manifold (cold pipe) is remaining cold. I can grab the pipe and not get burned. Heres the great part. The intercooler is truely cooling the engine as well. (i don;t know if its from the intercooler or the cooling duct hitting the engine head) but after running hard for an hour or so, i can confidently place my hand on the engine head and not be burned. OMG~!!!!! The intercooler is definately a must for anyone serious about go fast parts. Also the following is data from the mazdaspeed before and after the intercooler. As you will see there is a true difference.

1. Mazdaspeed w/o intercooler 45 degrees clear skies (sampled after 2 hour drive)
intake air temp 101f
fuel level input 16%
veh speed 73mph
intake man abs pres 1300.65 psig
maf air flow rate 2.26 lb/min

2. Mazdaspeed w intercooler 42 degrees clear skies (sampled after 1.5 hour drive)
intake air temp 55.40f
fuel injection amount 96 mg/cylinder
veh speed 79 mph
manifold absolute pressure sensor 15.37 psi
maf air flow rate 3.05 volts

as you can see the difference is night and day. I will post up pictures and more details also a video as CP-E gives me the OK to do so. Again this is only a temp. censorship because the creative rights of CP-E designs must be protected. I hope everyone can understand.

The power increase is AMAZING.
The quality is First Class
The design is incredible
The cooling.... I will shoot a video of me placing my hand on the normally scorching HOT engine head.

Oh i forgot to add. I have the following mods on my car.
Cpe Cat back exhaust
Cpe catted Down Pipe
Cpe FMIC
Cpe cold air intake
HKS bov (recirc)
Turbo XS Super MBC
AE auto scanner
Autometer Boost gauge 30 vac 30 boost
Autometer EGT gauge 1600degree peak

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you allowed post the actual before/after dyno numbers?

·
Registered
249 Posts
really would like to see some one compare this FMIC with the new released TMIC at the other thread.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Not to sound like an ass but intake air temps don't mean much, get out that AE unit and give some examples of "Boost Air Temp"...

·
Registered
820 Posts
your before and after measurements aren't the same values or in the same units...

Also, from the pics they posted before, it looks like the mounted the HID ballast from the driver side headlight behind the hood latch, was this for extra clearance under the headlight?

·
Registered
167 Posts
1. Mazdaspeed w/o intercooler 45 degrees clear skies (sampled after 2 hour drive)
intake air temp 101f
fuel level input 16%
veh speed 73mph

2. Mazdaspeed w intercooler 42 degrees clear skies (sampled after 1.5 hour drive)
intake air temp 55.40f
veh speed 79 mph
[/b]
Any chance you can put your fuel level input/fuel injection amount, manifold pressure, and MAF air flow in the same units? I don't know voltage/unit comparisons and I don't think 1300.65 PSI gage is your absolute pressure in the intake manifold. Also I'm doubting 1300 is the value for that one.

Yea, I know, you were too excited and typed it in too much of a hurry :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Listen I don't mean to be a negative "Nelly", but I am getting a little aggravated at the FMIC threads with no dyno #'s or even before and after 1/4 mile times. I still want to see CP-E's dyno of their 3'' exhaust with a cat. So my point is, I appreciate the review, but it doesn't give me anything I can use as far as the 1200 or so the FMIC is gonna set me back vs. performance gains

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check the units again and match the units with before and afters. Sorry i did this at 4am and my eyes were half shut while doing it. Also the HID balast was not touched. This is a complete bolt on intercooler kit. No cutting, no relocating, nothing. also on a sidenote....wiggum you are an ass but we love you anyway hahaha just playing. Yea i'll try to get some boost air temps and what not. again i did this at 4am cause i knew if i delyed it any longer everyone would get upset with me. I'll make the edits and post asap. ^__^

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The gain in boost and drop in EGT's are incredible. The numbers imply two things:

- Your engine must be adding a shitload of timing over stock. That's fantastic in many ways.
- You've alleviated a 2-3psi pressure drop (that's HUGE)

Listen I don't mean to be a negative "Nelly", but I am getting a little aggravated at the FMIC threads with no dyno #'s or even before and after 1/4 mile times. I still want to see CP-E's dyno of their 3'' exhaust with a cat. So my point is, I appreciate the review, but it doesn't give me anything I can use as far as the 1200 or so the FMIC is gonna set me back vs. performance gains[/b]
Dynoing would show nothing except what the dyno operator intended to show. While seeing a plot of manifold temperatures would be nice, the boost and EGT changes are significant and sufficient to show the FMIC has created a drastic change.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Nice! Very nice. Looking forward to seeing some more numbers on this one (boosted air temps, dyno, 1/4mi, etc.).

·
Registered
820 Posts
any idea what this is then? it's not on my car in that location. if it's not the HID ballast then maybe it's just the top of the core and the mounting bracket they're using? Sheet-metal?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
intake air temp 101f
fuel level input 16%
veh speed 73mph

intake air temp 55.40f
veh speed 79 mph
[/b]
IAT's are measured pre-compressor and has nothing to do with the IC if im not mistaken. you need the mazda specific AE software in order to get boost air temps or intake manifold temps. the rest of your data should be using the same units for direct comparison. and i dont know whats going on with your 1300 psig IMP.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
any idea what this is then? it's not on my car in that location. if it's not the HID ballast then maybe it's just the top of the core and the mounting bracket they're using? Sheet-metal? [/b]
it's mazda's new emblem...they got rid of the toilet bowl looking thing in the 90's :nana:

·
Registered
820 Posts
but if what soulful is saying is true , they didn't move or modify anything, im guessing its just the sheetmetal mounting bracketry.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not to sound like an ass but intake air temps don't mean much, get out that AE unit and give some examples of "Boost Air Temp"...
[/b]
Wiggum,
One question. Are you taking dabears place as the most negative individual on this forum? :nana:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Wiggum,
One question. Are you taking dabears place as the most negative individual on this forum? :nana:
[/b]
wiggum is right. intake air temps have nothing to do with the intercooler.

·
Registered
820 Posts
no, i have to agree with wiggum too. The IAT is only helpful so we know what the ambient temps are at. The IC tests at 100* iat are obviously going to be differenty then at 20*.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts