Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For information on the header development, click here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=32824

Because the other thread is so ungodly long and 6club members don't like sorting through it all, I think it's time for a new thread now that the headers are finally out. Here's the intro pricing:
http://www.cp-e.com/2020.html

and, after the initial group buy (no details on this yet, but check the 6tech buy/sell forum), pricing will return to this:
http://www.cp-e.com/2019.html

The headers made nearly 20whp and a constant 15-20ft-lbs of torque through the rev range on an otherwise stock car. These are equal-length, long-tube headers: top notch stuff. They are stainless steel. The craftsmanship is superb; the collectors on this header were custom made for this application. The Magnaflow-designed Y-pipe features two catalytic converters to maintain very high flow.

The kit ships with a bracket for relocating your alternator out about 1" further. This was required to fit a decent header design on the car. Other headers, such as the MSDS headers, actually require you to cut the header heat shielding to fit. Some headers, like the DC Sports prototypes, actually run a pipe straight under the oil filter, preventing its removal. The CPE headers circumvent those problems with a little engineering.

Since the headers are equal-length, they sound angry. They sound less like a '6 and more like a well-tuned sports/race car. I'd of liked to have heard the car with a resonator and cats to see how much it quiets down, but I haven't. The car I heard had Magnaflows without any cats or resonator, and it was anything but bumblebees, but it was also far from legal. It was very, very loud.
Originally posted by ouch1011
To answer a previously asked question, design of the headers plays a huge roll in the sound output.

To give you an idea, I have some sound clips. Now, these are not from a 6 but it still has a DOHC V6, so the sounds are similar.

Un-equal length headers:
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/regist...3697&original=1
Equal length headers:
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/regist...s=29885#content
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/regist...a.php?id=257238

The sound is VERY different.

Off the record, the guys said they put on one of their intake kits and did a run. It dyno'd higher than a 250hp Altima on the same dyno, likely putting brake horsepower somewhere in the 260's. This is much higher than the only other header + MAFci kit dyno I've seen, which was with Wagner's shorty headers. Of course, different dyno, different day.

Think those are the main points to bring everyone up to speed. Anyway, post your thoughts, and check the group buy section for more details on the initial group buy. I'm sure details are coming.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
does the dyno chart show the numbers off one with cats on the ypipe..
what was the temps during the run..

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Stretch, thanks for the info, there goes part of my year end bonus!

·
Registered
700 Posts
yeah...i dont know if amp is asking the same question. but when they dynoed it was it with the cats and all on?? or not? and could that change the dyno?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The dyno was with straight pipes, and a magnaflow catback. No mafci system, and no cats.

Here is my little quickie review.

The car with headers alone has similar pull to the CP-E mafci system, only the pull seems significantly stronger in the lower end of the spectrum. The feel from the passenger seat was increased low end responsiveness and grunt, with excellent midrange pull.

The sound is...well its very loud and very angry. (Straight pipes with magnaflow exhaust...which is basically straight everything). It doesn't really sound like a 6 anymore. It sounds like someone brought a 6 back from the dead and its going to suck the soul out of everything on the road as punishment for doubting its abilities.[/b]

·
Registered
700 Posts
hmm. do you think this would change the dyno at all? i mean running no cats..

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Can we get a video of the 6 with the headers (with cats). I'm really curious on how it will be....the price is really out there but if it really has a lot of low end grunt I might consider it. The one thing I'm worried about is sound, this is my daily driver and the Injens have added enough sound as it is. Anything significantly louder will be a complete no-no.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm. do you think this would change the dyno at all? i mean running no cats..
[/b]
It'd of been nice to see a dyno with the cats in, but I honestly don't expect they'll make a big difference. Magnaflow designed the y-pipe with two catalytic converters to avoid any meaningful horsepower loss. I was surprised to hear that, as I'd expect one cat to be sufficient. It seems over-engineered to me, but perhaps that's a good thing.

Can we get a video of the 6 with the headers (with cats). I'm really curious on how it will be....the price is really out there but if it really has a lot of low end grunt I might consider it. The one thing I'm worried about is sound, this is my daily driver and the Injens have added enough sound as it is. Anything significantly louder will be a complete no-no.
[/b]
Once somebody installs them on a stock exhaust, sure. No such installation exists yet. The donor car was more an example of how a straight pipe to unrestrictive mufflers sounds, and those were loud as hell just as you'd expect. These headers will definately be louder than stock, but I'm uncertain how loud they will be at cruising speeds and normal driving. My guess is they'll be only mildly louder (on an intake-equipped car) until you really open the throttle, and the tone will be incredible. It's only a guess though, and I'm eagerly awaiting the first sound clips.

Finally, a shameless plug: if you want CPE equal-length, long-tube headers for the 4cyl 6i, express your interest here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=44723

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
considering these are the prototypes dyno'd here, on a test car, it's hard to just add on cat's and do it again. As stated, the cats shouldn't impact the gians much at all due to the systems design, and worth it for most people. if the loss of 2-4hp is a concern, the product might not be right. these give so much potential to the V6, especially when combined with the customizer, that worrying about power loss from cats is just silly. at least waiting to see/hear the results with cats and missing out on the GB discount is silly, after that, ask to your hearts content!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The real question is how do they perform with their intake.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sure that they're really nice headers...but they're rediculously expensive. I understand that you gotta pay to play, but $1300 is a little much for headers. That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't want them though (I want them badly), but I'm just gonna have to wait for a long time, which kinda sucks. Oh well...at least there's a reliable source for them now, that's always good to know.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
The real question is how do they perform with their intake.
[/b]
"Dyno's well better than a 255 HP Altima" - With MAFci intake and headers.

I'm sure that they're really nice headers...but they're rediculously expensive. I understand that you gotta pay to play, but $1300 is a little much for headers. That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't want them though (I want them badly), but I'm just gonna have to wait for a long time, which kinda sucks. Oh well...at least there's a reliable source for them now, that's always good to know.
[/b]
Ask Sean Hyland Motorsports how much for their long-tube, equal length headers for the Contour/Cougar. Then you will think CP-e is bargain basement pricing. Ask any company that took the plunge to develop equal length headers for a not all that popular V6 FWD car.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
These are right around the HP and cost I was expecting. If you look at the price of other long tube equal length headers, these are priced right in the ballpark.

I think for a lot of people these are too expensive. A lot of people even had trouble paying 500 bucks for their intake which provided 20 hp... I knew there was no way they were going to drop 1300 bills to get another 20 hp from their car.

Also, look at other automobiles. The bhp of our cars is going from 220 to 260s with the complete CP-E setup. Compare that to other cars in the price range.

The pontiac G6 to go from the GT, 200 hp, to the GTP, 240 hp is roughly a little more than 2 grand difference. The Nissan Altima to go from the 3.5SE, 250 hp, to the 2.5SER, 260 HP, is acouple grand difference. Whats the price per HP with the 6i turbo kits?

Figure we are paying $2,000 for a 40 hp increase with the intake and headers.... people will drop 1300 bucks on chrome rims and tires which do absolutely nothing for performance....... people will spend an arm and a leg for heavy rims that slow down your car but we all want horsepower and torque for free. I will never understand it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
They are FINALLY here! Although we still gotta wait a couple months for manufacturing the product...but who cares...they will be at my door just in time for Spring! i gotta straighten out my CC bills and then i'll get on this.

Stretch...(i don't think i read this) BUT how long will Promo Price last??? I know i read somewhere first 15 orders...is that how they are doin it? first 15 get promo and then price goes up. Or is there a Date i must order by? please let us know...

Appreciate it!

I :love: CPE!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i swear i am gonna scream if i hear more people complain about price. you people wonder why no one will develop products for our car.....come read the forum and look at everyone bitching about pricing. damnit. if its to expensive for you, then just do not post sheesh. you have to pay to play. otherwise, stfu. /endrant

btw- cannot wait to get em....any idea how long from payin to having them? i know it takes some time to make them and i am not tryin to rush anything, just curious what the normal lead time is...:D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
It says on the site 6-8 weeks after your order. But i'm pretty sure they are not going to be producing orders until they get 15 orders in. So once the 15 orders are in THEN the 6-8 week wait begins! I'm PRETTY SURE On all that, i think it makes sense.

ane i agree with your comments AZMZ6

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
My only complaint is going to be on the GB deadline. Its winter, and most people aren't really thinking about mods right now. As it is we have x-mas which always takes money out of people's pockets (and I have a selfish reason which is a Vegas trip in March.) And so if it starts soon, I'm certainly going to miss it. And I can assure you that the difference between that price and regular price is enough to ensure that long-tube headers will unfortunately never be on my car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
DAMN! :swearin:

I just bought the CPE intake on top of all my other Christmas gifts and I'm not going to make this one.
Maybe next Christmas! :hoho:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
These are right around the HP and cost I was expecting. If you look at the price of other long tube equal length headers, these are priced right in the ballpark.

I think for a lot of people these are too expensive. A lot of people even had trouble paying 500 bucks for their intake which provided 20 hp... I knew there was no way they were going to drop 1300 bills to get another 20 hp from their car.

Also, look at other automobiles. The bhp of our cars is going from 220 to 260s with the complete CP-E setup. Compare that to other cars in the price range.

The pontiac G6 to go from the GT, 200 hp, to the GTP, 240 hp is roughly a little more than 2 grand difference. The Nissan Altima to go from the 3.5SE, 250 hp, to the 2.5SER, 260 HP, is acouple grand difference. Whats the price per HP with the 6i turbo kits?

Figure we are paying $2,000 for a 40 hp increase with the intake and headers.... people will drop 1300 bucks on chrome rims and tires which do absolutely nothing for performance....... people will spend an arm and a leg for heavy rims that slow down your car but we all want horsepower and torque for free. I will never understand it.
[/b]

This isn't even comparable. Firstly you're not just paying for hp, but you're paying for more packages along with it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
i swear i am gonna scream if i hear more people complain about price. you people wonder why no one will develop products for our car.....come read the forum and look at everyone bitching about pricing. damnit. if its to expensive for you, then just do not post sheesh. you have to pay to play. otherwise, stfu. /endrant

btw- cannot wait to get em....any idea how long from payin to having them? i know it takes some time to make them and i am not tryin to rush anything, just curious what the normal lead time is...:D
[/b]
AMEN Tony, preach it brother....stopping bitching and get them!

1 - 20 of 367 Posts