Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped an engine into my old car (a civic)... i'd say 2-3 of the 5 engine mounts on that vehicle were totally trashed... and you could tell.. TUNS of hop.. and engine movement when shifting.. and racing...

Question is....

Could.. only a single.. upgraded mount... really make that much of a difference? From what i've seen and read... and been told... They make inserts. to reinforce the rubber for engine mounts... And these inserts are used in almost every mount on the vehicle.... not just 1....

So... could 1 engine mount... really make that much of a difference.... Hell the speed6 launches just fine as it is... Don't notice much lag.. or pull on the engine as far as mounts would be conserned....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the engine mount help the ATX or is it just for the 5 speed?

Definantly worth it. Buy one and you will see.
[/b]

·
Registered
455 Posts
It takes energy to torque an engine mount. Energy that is now not being applied to your wheels. If the mount is good and can resist moving, the energy is transferred to the next possible outlet, your wheels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the 6 only has 3 engine mounts, one is liquid filled - the top motor mount, the other two are rubber - the upper and lower tranny mounts. they all work together to stabalize the engine. the bottom mount is what ties everything together, without it the motor sways like a pendulum, so yes, it makes an amazing and very noticable difference the engine barely moves at all

·
Registered
449 Posts
The "inserts" you're talking about are new bushings, typically polyurethane. If you look at past threads the actual mount itself breaks on a regular basis in a lot of cars on this board. The cp-e mount is a stronger mount as well as having a stiffer rubber to minimize engine movement. Poly mounts were originally used in the cp-e brace but the closeness of the headers caused too high of a temp which broke down the material(poly breaks down at relatively low temps compared to rubber). Current models still use rubber but its better than stock by far. It also won't break under hard driving.

I think I captured it but since I'm not an owner of the mount someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
its not just the headers, the thing is bolted to the trans, so, it gets hot.

my stock engine mount was torn very quickly, probably approx 15k miles.

i replaced with cp-e at 19k.

massive difference, especially for a manual transmission

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
arch4life
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing