Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well when i got the headers installed i noticed that the rubber is starting to slide out of the actual mount... I spoke with blackmagik and he was also having the same problem.. I e mailed josh about it and sent him a picture along with it just waiting for him to get back to me. I just wanted to let you guys know that this isnt just a single issue and you should probably check your mounts.. here is a picture i took.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blackmagik has the blue one. and i have the red one incase you cant see the pic i posted.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havnt installed mine yet.. but may i ask: did you guys over-tighten or not-much-tighten?
[/b]

What would that have to do with anything. not tightening would cause te thing to fall off completely and if you overtorque the bolt it would break. I tightened it by hand till what i thougt was appropriate for the bolt not to come out. Overtightening the bolt would not make any difference what so ever on the rubber being able to slide out of the mount. If you look the bolt didnt move its still in the same position it always was when i put it in.. Its the mount that slid over and you can see when it occasionaly moved because of the dark lines on the rubber.

edit: i just think cp-e need to do another redesign on these... because there is nothing keeping the rubber from sliding out..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question is whats to stop this from happening again? they can keep fixing it and it will just happen again over time..

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Question is whats to stop this from happening again? they can keep fixing it and it will just happen again over time..
[/b]
No, it's already been fixed with a minor design change. Once the rubber is inserted, a small hole is drilled and a dowel is inserted to prevent the rubber from sliding. Only a very small percentage of people have reported the problem, but CPE has been applying this fix to their mounts as a preventative measure. My guess is the metal is expanding (due to heat) more than the rubber, so the bushing can get loose when driving aggressively in stop-and-go traffic on a hot day.

IIRC, CPE is going to reshaping the bushing and housing in future production runs as a precaution.

·
Registered
297 Posts
so what does that mean?...Do you think CP-E will replace the mount if the rubber is slipping?...Wow, I'm surprise that this is happening...I've always thought that CP-E has done a lot of research and development on their products...other products that have issues are the headers-O2 sensors were wrong...IMO, I have a feeling that their focus is slipping a little bit when it comes to research...don't get me wrong...yes their product are top notch but little stuff such as the O2 sensor connectors shouldn't have been missed by their engineers...and now this issue is coming up...they should at least issue a statement to all those who bought their engine mount...nevertheless, I will e-mail or call Josh about this...

·
Registered
567 Posts
So instead of just sending us a new one, I'm supposed to take my mount off and leave my car up in the air for a couple weeks, or spend $50-$100 on a new factory mount to replace it for their error? I think we need to be telling them that if we find this problem with the mount, they need to send us an updated one and then we send the old one back in their packaging. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Nashirak,

If you contact them directly (if you have the problem), I'd sure they'd be accomidating. However as mentioned, the problem is effecting a tiny % of the overall owners, so they're being dealt with on a case per case basis.

For example, I've got a CP-E mount, but haven't had this issue (even through track events and over 10k+ of driving).

·
Registered
756 Posts
I just installed mine today. I have the blue one with the holes and dowels.

I cant belive have much tighter it feels.

I will keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I e mailed josh and he is going to be sending me a new one and ill be sending the one i have on my car back once i get it in. Really there is no way of knowing that this was going to happen. Like crossbow said only a small percentage are recieving this problem and there was no way to know it was going to happen. Ive had these on a few thousand miles and just noticed this.. Im sure cp-e doesnt drive the car around for 3 months in order to see if it works properly.. maybe a couple weeks u know? Its how cp-e handles the problems and takes care of their customers where their quality shows... They do have quality products but shit happens u know :\

·
Registered
567 Posts
Replies like ^^^that one are what keep my confidence in CP-E. That is the sign of a truly dedicated company. I knew the percentage was very small, and I didn't mean replace them all, by any means, and I hope it didn't sound like that. I'll actually be checking mine tomorrow to make sure. I was just a little surprised that they would ask someone to send the old one back first. Apologies, I should go wash my foot off before I stick it into my mouth...lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine is a blue one and is doing the exact same thing, saw it today was I was installing my headers. The aluminum is actually starting to wear and rub against the tranny.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for this info, I will be checking my blue this weekend or sooner. I've only had mine on for about a month now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same thing happened to my red mount about 3 weeks ago... havent found the time to send her in yet (with school and work) or i guess i have been to lazy. But the problem was delt with fairly quickly on their end. Props to CP-e (although i was kinda ticked about having to pay for S&H, its their mistake, so why should we pay for it)?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
25 Participants
Raynman
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing