Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my intake, and just curious, how far do you guys push up the air filter? There was a weld mark about 3 inches up and I pushed it up to that and fastened the hose clamp, is that to far? It's right where the heat shield is pretty much agaist it.

Also, it sounds weird, alot diff from my other intake on my civic, but it might be the turbo i hear, sounds like a whistle/vacuum noise every time i hit the gas a little bit...

1 other thing, the Vibro Insulator... not sure if i hooked this up right or not, but the nuts don't screw on all the way due to the plastic inside them, The top part where the actual piece is, is tightly holding the intake in place, but underneath side, the washer and bolt are just screwed to it not holding anything, whats the point of this or did i do something wrong?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
its a very pronounced sucking noise - and you can hear the factor bov too - thats the brief whistle you hear i think.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just moved it and i put the hose clamp at the top of the air filter, i had it at the bottom before..... seems to sound better and not as much as a huge suck sound noise,

still unsure about the vibro insulator crap

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
1 other thing, the Vibro Insulator... not sure if i hooked this up right or not, but the nuts don't screw on all the way due to the plastic inside them, The top part where the actual piece is, is tightly holding the intake in place, but underneath side, the washer and bolt are just screwed to it not holding anything, whats the point of this or did i do something wrong?
[/b]
I am trying to follow your description of the way the insulator is put on, but still not quite get it.

The rubber should be put between the intake pipework and the heatshield plate which is tighten to the cross member of the chassis. Now there are two washers and nuts. Once you insert the one end of the rubber insulator into the heatshield, then you should put one of the washers, and the nut underneath the heatshield and once the nut is tighten, this is secured onto the heatshield. Now the other end of the rubber insulator should go into the extension hook on the intake pipework, then one washer and nut will need to tighten to secure it to the pipework. the nut itself is the self secure type where once you tighten it to the fixture tightly, it will stay there for good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to follow your description of the way the insulator is put on, but still not quite get it.

The rubber should be put between the intake pipework and the heatshield plate which is tighten to the cross member of the chassis. Now there are two washers and nuts. Once you insert the one end of the rubber insulator into the heatshield, then you should put one of the washers, and the nut underneath the heatshield and once the nut is tighten, this is secured onto the heatshield. Now the other end of the rubber insulator should go into the extension hook on the intake pipework, then one washer and nut will need to tighten to secure it to the pipework. the nut itself is the self secure type where once you tighten it to the fixture tightly, it will stay there for good.
[/b]
I know its a lock nut, but I can't screw it on any more and there's a huge gap on the bolt of the vibro insulator(especially on the bottom side of the heat shield since the rubber side of the vibro is on top of the heatshield). The plastic inside the nut is stopping it from screwing on any tighter. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to screw it on all the way and it should be tight, mines not because I couldn't get it screwed on anymore.. any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I know its a lock nut, but I can't screw it on any more and there's a huge gap on the bolt of the vibro insulator(especially on the bottom side of the heat shield since the rubber side of the vibro is on top of the heatshield). The plastic inside the nut is stopping it from screwing on any tighter. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to screw it on all the way and it should be tight, mines not because I couldn't get it screwed on anymore.. any recommendations?
[/b]
This is really weird as the nut can be kept on turning until it stops by the end of the rubber, unless the thread on the bolt that come out from either end of the rubber insulator stop short at the end.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think I read in another thread that there was impossible to push the air filter to far up the pipe on the CPE CAI. Can someone confirm if this is true or not? If this isn't the case, I think I must check my installation...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is really weird as the nut can be kept on turning until it stops by the end of the rubber, unless the thread on the bolt that come out from either end of the rubber insulator stop short at the end.
[/b]
Any recommendations on how to tighten this? I'm guessing i'll have to get someone under the car holding it while i tighten it at the top and vise versa, but its such a small nut and tight position.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Any recommendations on how to tighten this? I'm guessing i'll have to get someone under the car holding it while i tighten it at the top and vise versa, but its such a small nut and tight position.
[/b]

That's what I did to get the nut on tight.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
How does the car feel now? I am LOATH to spend 300 ish on a intake but it is one of the few readily availibe mods right now.....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
How does the car feel now? I am LOATH to spend 300 ish on a intake but it is one of the few readily availibe mods right now.....
[/b]
the sound alone makes the car feel faster and well worth the $$$. though install for me was no walk in the park.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/b]
I don't regret it, sound is nice... seems more responsive. No dyno here to prove anything though :p

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just how loud is it though? My wife and family have to ride in the car, I figure at full tilt it is loud but if you stay out of the go pedal and shift at ~3,000 rpms how intrusive is it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just how loud is it though? My wife and family have to ride in the car, I figure at full tilt it is loud but if you stay out of the go pedal and shift at ~3,000 rpms how intrusive is it?
[/b]
You only hear it when you get on it and the air pressure starts to build up after holding the pedal down for like 1000 rpms constant. and its still not that loud, can barely hear anything with the radio up around 15+

I'm like you though, I don't want a loud car, so I probably won't mess with the exhaust any time soon.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I wonder if anyone has a sound clip?

I mostly want to hear the turbo over anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts