Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer had already attached the front license plate holder before I even saw the car, so if I remove the holder, you can see two drilled holes in the front bumper. As a stop gap, I took the hex screws and put them back in the holes after painting them black withe my touch up paint, but I'd like to find another way to cover them up more smoothly. Any suggestions? is there a screw bolt that is rounded the the top rather than straight like the hex bolts?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Covering up front license plate holes

Bring it too a shop if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself. Use some polymer filler then repaint and blend the front two feet of your bumper. Or if you're picky repaint the whole bumper. That's what I did with my old car.

Sure the filler may crack or fall out but only after most likely 6 years or so. Probably cost you $100CAD or that's $65US.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Here in Nebraska (and im sure many other states) require the front license plate be on the car. It sucks, but you can get some pretty steep fines if it's not on there. Just more of those stupid car laws.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Covering up front license plate holes'

Bah usually you can put it in the windsheild [lower passenger side] and it'll be fine. But here we aren't required to and I hate to see cars going around advertising the dealerships on the front of their cars. It looks so much better without the holder there.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The other issue is that the holes that were drilled are not smooth. it looks like drilling process into the plastic causes a sort of raised indention, which makes the holes look like a volcano, if that makes sense...which would make just simply filling the holes more difficult.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Well if you were filling the holes you'd be repainting anyways. So buff the holes down before you fill. Sand until smooth. Fill the holes with poly. Then repaint.

·
Registered
78 Posts

trim down holes with a razor blade..you can buy these little flat gromits at home depot Ex: look on your refrigorator there are plugs that cover up screw holes....paint the gromits with touch up and plug them in....i used to work at a car dealership and we did this all the time...much cheaper than repainting and it just looks like there are 2 little high spots on the bumper....my 99 civic si came with these plugs already color matched from the dealer when i bought it...

·
Registered
541 Posts

Brillo,

What did you wind up doing? I have the same issue as you. I bought the car in a state that requires front plates, but mine doesn't.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I simply took the hex screws from the front plate, painted them black with the touch-up paint, and put them back in, it works well as a stop gap and you can hardly seem them. I'm going to try to find a better solution if possible

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by Kincaid

Bah usually you can put it in the windsheild [lower passenger side] and it'll be fine. But here we aren't required to and I hate to see cars going around advertising the dealerships on the front of their cars. It looks so much better without the holder there.[/b]
i agree, but in california, front plates are mandatory.

what about getting a license plate frame that matches the color of the car? you wouldn't be advertising for anyone then. i plan on getting a pair just as soon as my plates arrive.

nick

·
Registered
683 Posts

I have a black liscence plate frames with silver spikes in it thats on my truck...dont know if im transfering them over to my 6 or not (when i get it that is LOL)

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts

I had the same problem as you Brillo when I bought my RSX here in Texas. I went up to the dealership and argued with the manager for about 30mins and eventually he let me have a brand new bumper. Just argue with him and say that the holes are damaging to your car and that they are condusive to rust and corrosion. That;s what I did. I told him I didnt want a car with holes in the front bumper.

·
Registered
464 Posts

if you have a bumper that doesnt have any holes in it, are you required to drill holes in it to put a front plate on in those states? I know here in CT we are supposed to have a front plate but tehre are some kits that dont come with predrilled holes or a space for a front plate because it would cover the intercooler hole.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I told the dealer not to insall the front plate. And they didnt but there are still two small dimples were the screw would go. I had a saturn sc2 with no front plate for 4 years and never got a ticket for it.(NY) most corvettes dont have them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts