Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So decided that I was going to do my own oil change today. switched to mobil 1 synthetic....which will always be the best oil out there...but that is my own opinion and your mileage may vary.

1. The cartridge style filter is the worst design period...
2. I think i may be developing either a. oil pan gasket leak or b. main seal leak. the leak appears to be coming from in between the transmission and engine. although this may be normal seepage or left over oil from when the dealershit changed the oil, I wiped the area down and will take it in if it still looks to be leaking next time i do an oil change.
3. This car holds a lot of oil, a lot, and when I poured the used oil i drained it didn't equal the amount i poured in. so looks like when the dealershit didn't fill correctly when they changed it.
4. The front axles are beefy and appear to be equal length.
5. Everything under there is aluminum..or some sort of bright alloy..gets some mothers and polish away...not really.
6. Hot oil will burn you, along with anything else under the car that emits heat.
7. did i mention the cartridge style filter is the worst...............

that is all
AWDTerror

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jimbo: I added a little under 6 qts probable about 5.7 something
Korean: I noticed there was a little oil around that sending unit, i wiped the oil from around it also

·
Registered
651 Posts
You can convert it to a spin on without removing the oil cooler if you so desire. The warranty may be affected but if you do it right there shouldn't be a problem.
check out post #8
or check out post #10-12

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also noticed that i may have overfilled the car by maybe a 1/16 of a qt. gonna drain some out later

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
How much of a difference was there between the oil you put in and the oil that came out? Up to a quart isn't that big a deal, but if you were checking your oil between changes it wouldn't be a surprise.

Don't worry about 1/16th a quart...it's not enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm like the monk i like to see it just under the 2nd dot. it's maybe 1/16 of an inch over it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Messy? The cap has a drain, it lets most of the oil out so when you take it off it does not leak around the filter like 99.99% of every other spin on filter.

This car is on of the easiest cars to change the oil on. I could do the MS6 oil change in a tux.

When you take the filter off on my Contour SVT it leaks down the block over the front crossmember, the filter has to pass between the crossmember and the block with no clearence, and the oil spills out over the exhaust crossover.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Old school honda's are by far the worst in terms of messyness, damn filter is on the back of the block in between the fire wall and engine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My filter change got pretty messy too. I THOUGHT the drain bolt got all the oil out of the filter. But when I took the filter out alot more oil came out soaking my hand and it was hot. I dropped the whole filter and assembly in the oil pan :(. When I drained my flush oil though the drain bolt on the filter did it's job and there wasn't hardly any oil left in the filter assy. I don't know why the drain bolt didn't drain all the oil the first time.....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is because there is spring pressure on filter creating a 'seal' on the rest of the oil in there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Messy? The cap has a drain, it lets most of the oil out so when you take it off it does not leak around the filter like 99.99% of every other spin on filter.

This car is on of the easiest cars to change the oil on. I could do the MS6 oil change in a tux.

When you take the filter off on my Contour SVT it leaks down the block over the front crossmember, the filter has to pass between the crossmember and the block with no clearence, and the oil spills out over the exhaust crossover.
[/b]
I agree with Karl. I've changed the oil on most of my previous cars, and other than for all the extra bolts that have to be taken off (to get the aero undertray off), the MS6 is not any more difficult. There are a few extra steps, and following them properly makes a big difference, and minimizes the mess. I spilled less oil changing the MS6 filter than I do with my Probe GT (spin on can vertically mounted). There's a good write up on Mazda6tech if anybody is interested: http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...2&Itemid=49

There's a couple of differences between the NA 2.3L and our DISI engine. One is the drain bolt size. Ours is 17mm IIRC. The other is the amount of oil needed. Ours takes 5.7 Liters, not 4.5 qts.

Worst car I ever had to change oil on was our '87 Acura Legend with the 2.7L V6. It used a cartridge system like the MS6, but it was held in with a 3 acorn nut alloy cover like that found on motorcycles. The cover was spring loaded, so I had back off the nuts carefully so as not to lose them because they'd go flying off due to the spring tension. To reinstall I had to push the cover on, fighting against the spring tension, while trying to thread on these small 10mm acorn nuts. Slip, and the cover would spring out, launching the nut.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Isn't it just easier to do the "Jiffy Lube" route?
I think it's about $49 sor a Mobil-1 change.
[/b]
Only if you trust them. Personally, I wouldn't trust those places with a 20-year-old piece-of-crap beater, let alone a new $30,000 car.

Plus, some of us take satisfaction in doing things like car maintenance ourselves.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Isn't it just easier to do the "Jiffy Lube" route?
I think it's about $49 sor a Mobil-1 change. [/b]

sure, trust your car to the rocket scientists at Jiffy Lube and hope you still have a motor in 100 miles.

No chance, I wouldn't let them lubricate my bicycle chain.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dude... the cartridge is a cake!!!!!!
You should of loosen the drain bolt a bit and let it drain from the cartridge's center bolt first. Less mess!! If you over tighten you might of broke a small fraction... or if you use a strap on oil filter remover, you might of broke a small fraction. Which will cause a leak. wear rubber gloves next time so you won't get burn.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i didn't say it was hard, just said that it was a stupid design

1 - 20 of 28 Posts