Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is it ever to late to switch to synthetic? I've read yes and no. Would 60k miles be to late?

2. I've read Castrol Syntec isn't a fully synthetic oil, only the German Castrol 0w-30 is fully synthetic. Is that true? If so, I may switch over to Mobil 1. I wan't to find a full synthetic I can stick with for the life of my car.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
:huh:
I thought I just answered your question on another thread: It's never too early or too late to use synthetic. You can use it anytime.

Regarding the word "Synthetic", there are different definitions depending on the manufacturer. Most of synthetic motor oils are still made from oil that's been processed to have the characteristic of synthetic oil. Mobil1 is different because it's made from chemicals.

So Mobil took Castrol to the court regarding the word "Synthetic" and Mobil lost. That's why Castrol and others can use the word "Synthetic" even when their products are still made from oil.

Anyway, GC is different than Castrol Syntec even when the bottle look the same. GC is a "true" synthetic made in Germany.

For more info regarding oil, feel free to browse BITOG forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:huh:
I thought I just answered your question on another thread: It's never too early or too late to use synthetic. You can use it anytime.

Regarding the word "Synthetic", there are different definitions depending on the manufacturer. Most of synthetic motor oils are still made from oil that's been processed to have the characteristic of synthetic oil. Mobil1 is different because it's made from chemicals.

So Mobil took Castrol took court regarding the word "Synthetic" and Mobil lost. That's why Castrol and others can use the word "Synthetic" even when their products are still made from oil.

Anyway, GC is different than Castrol Syntec even when the bottle look the same. GC is a "true" synthetic made in Germany.

For more info regarding oil, feel free to browse BITOG forum.
[/b]
Yeah you did answer it. But my computer froze up when I was posting the other one and it didn't appear to have posted it. So I posted this one....sorry. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Back when synthetics first came out, the rumor was that if you had a oil leak, the synthetic would pour out of your engine. Dont know if it was true or not.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
it'll do your engine good to change to Synthetic whenever , but I hear going back to reg. oil is a no-no ..... can anybody confirm with details ?
[/b]
I don't see a problem. I did this with my car: Semi syn to full syn to regular oil to full syn again with no problem.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My understanding is that it is not an issue to go back and forth. I do think that it would be worth your time to give the engine a long time to drain if changing oil types, but even that is probably overdoing it.

I had heard the same thing about synthetics "finding" leaks. I run it in my 67 Mustang, and if every a an engine was designed for leaks the 289 is it. No leaks yet! I should say, no oil leaks yet. Tranny and power steering are something else entirely.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Castrol Syntec is made of Group III base stock. Mobil1 tried to make the case that only Group IV or Group V base stock was actually "synthetic." Mobil1 tried to sue Castrol for marketing a group III as synthetic and lost. So technically, all of the castrol Syntec lines are "fully synthetic." The argument whether or not Grp III base is as good as Grp IV or Grp V will be never ending.

Syntec is an outstanding oil. Mobil1 is no better, just different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts