Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was jacking up my car using the front jack point to swap my tires last night and when I went to go lower the car back down the jack slipped and punctured right thru the rad causing coolant everywhere.....
how much is it approx for a new rad and how many hours would a shop charge?
thanks

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
That's a fairly common thing to happen actually - which is one of the reasons I don't use the front jacking point (also my car is too low). But a Koyo rad is ~$150. It's a full day install though if you do it yourself on an MTX - not sure what extra steps need to be taken if you have an ATX since transmission fluid flows thru the bottom of the rad. A shop, no idea what they charge but it won't be cheap since you have to rip off the ENTIRE front end.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you have a 2.3L they say you can do it without removing the front end, but in my case I have a 3.0L and I had to remove the whole front end just to get to the radiator..

That being said you can pick one up at an autozone or o'reilly auto parts for about $167. Took me a few hours to install so save a day for the install.

Use this video as a guide:
This helped me with removing the front end. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
was jacking up my car using the front jack point to swap my tires last night and when I went to go lower the car back down the jack slipped and punctured right thru the rad causing coolant everywhere.....
how much is it approx for a new rad and how many hours would a shop charge?
thanks
Just did this today! :/ did you end up taking it to a place. If so what did they charge. Thinking about doing it my self
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can pick up everything here, but aftermarket will definitely be cheaper.
It also depends on the engine you have. As KewlGuy said, the 2.3 is pretty easy, and a shop probably wouldn't bill more than 3 hours for it. It would probably be close to 5-6 on the 3.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
thzpcs
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing