Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else see it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Reading Topic: Corrola Influence?

I knew I wasn't the only one! Unless that is a photoshop, which would be a pretty good one, but anyways. That was what I was saying. Granted cars in general will always "look alike" but I just think that Toyota Corolla and the Mazda 6 happen to look similar.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I think they look a lot alike. There was a post similar to this somewhere else. They way I learned the difference from further away was to look if there was an atenna at the top of car.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I really don't think they look at that similar. At first glance, some of the lines are a little similar, but if you look closer, none of them are the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I think the bodies look quite similar from far away. To tell them apart at long distances, I use the antenna as mentioned before, and I think the taillights are pretty different actually.

Oh yeah, and the easiest way to tell them apart is, if the car can move quickly, it's a 6. otherwise, the corolla :)

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

The mazda concept has been out for almost 4 years now... There will be alot of design cues that will have been taken from it by now. We are just starting to see them alot more now :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

That's right, the Mazda 6 was 100% original, and didn't take cues from anyone! No wonder everyones copying it, it's such a revolutionary design! Everyone wants their cars to look just like Mazdas!

·
Registered
432 Posts

^^^Dont say that. You sound just like the average IS300 owner (not a good thing).

I love my car and love the design and all, but it's hardly ground breaking or original. You can see cues from other cars, which is normal. I mean, what car on the road is 100% original these days.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I should edit my post to have a sarcasm tag, I forget that you can't read inflection into my posts. I've always said that everything looks like everything else. There may be some cues taken from one place or another, but no car maker wants their cars to look like another makers, that would defeat the purpose of making unique looking cars.

Kia is the exception to this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Corrola Influence?'

Originally posted by Phrosted

I should edit my post to have a sarcasm tag, I forget that you can't read inflection into my posts.  [/b]
Awww, my bad....missed the sarcasm :)

Originally posted by Phrosted
I've always said that everything looks like everything else.  There may be some cues taken from one place or another, but no car maker wants their cars to look like another makers, that would defeat the purpose of making unique looking cars.

Kia is the exception to this.[/b]
Another exception is Mitsubishi. They clearly wanted to flatter BMW with imitation when they designed the Galant and the Diamente.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Yeah, "economy" car companies kind of annoy me. Every once in a while, I'll see one of them and think, "Cool, a Mercedes!" No, just a shitty eco-box.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Corrola Influence?'

Originally posted by moocat

Hyundai XG2130031337[/b]
And what is with that name? I seriously don't get it. Maybe they wanted to call it the XG1337, but they figured that would be too obvious and stupid, so they added a bunch of other numbers so they could hide the "l33t"

·
Registered
174 Posts

I definitely see the similarities. It bugs me when I see a car on the road, think it's a 6, only to find out it's a Corolla. :(

Pretty much all the lines are the same, IMO, and those pictures do a great job of showing it. The handles, body molding, aero kit, tail lights, rear bumper, etc all look very similar to me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Corrola Influence?

Look at the lines along the bottom of the car, including the wheel flares. The corolla just fades into blah, while the 6 has a very agressive flare. The 6 has more "chisled" styling, while the Corolla is more of an "Old people pleaser" with it's jelly-bean lines and boring smooth lines.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Corrola Influence?

When I first saw the current gen Corrolla, I couldn't help thinking that they'd taken design cues from both the 6 concept and the Millenia (Xedos 6).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts