Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2009 Mazda 6 I L4 2.5 L transmission fluid changed at 192,000 miles. They used 12 quarts of
MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF fluid on this.
The last time I had my transmission fluids done I recall the mechanic (at a different location) say it took a "special" type of fluid - not a general fluid.
According to some of the posts I'm reading DEX is NOT compatible with the Mazda 6 transmission.

Is the fluid they used okay??
Does it really take 12 quarts to do a flush and fill?? I'm thinking that's kind of extreme amount of fluids used for this.

·
Registered
2005 6s Grand Touring Wagon
277 Posts
I just had my 2009 Mazda 6 I L4 2.5 L transmission fluid changed at 192,000 miles. They used 12 quarts of
MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF fluid on this.
The last time I had my transmission fluids done I recall the mechanic (at a different location) say it took a "special" type of fluid - not a general fluid.
According to some of the posts I'm reading DEX is NOT compatible with the Mazda 6 transmission.

Is the fluid they used okay??
Does it really take 12 quarts to do a flush and fill?? I'm thinking that's kind of extreme amount of fluids used for this.
Can't speak to the 12 quarts, seems high to me, but it might be right. It's troubling they did a flush/fill on such a high mileage transmission. It's not usually recommended.

I use Valvoline MaxLife in my 2005, no issues at 250k miles and I've swapped it out a few times now. (drain/fill only)

Here's the spec sheet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts