1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I had a turbo, I'd be inclined to give it a go. However, I doubt it is CARB certified so that would leave me out anyhow. I really hate California sometimes.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Crazy how much "noise" that engine has. Mazda was really trying to make the car quiet.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am interested in hearing it. Although I see there are sounds in that video, I'd like to hear sounds from inside. I can't really tell if the sound was just edited in for that video.

This is exciting, though.

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to rain on the parade or anything, but am I the only one that wishes they'd come out with a CAI also?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not to rain on the parade or anything, but am I the only one that wishes they'd come out with a CAI also?
Nope, I'm not buying it for the sole reason that it's not CAI. You are not alone. I understand we can debate heat sink all day long, but it comes down to personal preference with me. SRI is beneficial, I get it; but if it's not CAI, I won't do it.

Complete sidenote: I haven't seen a dyno of a 2.5T yet. I am so sad to see that this engine is useless over 5k pretty much - I mean I knew it was as you can feel it (or rather feel nothing). But man, why not just make the rev limiter 5300 and call it a day...

Oh well, with any luck a good tune will give us something a little more. But I don't see a tune changing the actual dynamics of those powerbands. So I'm still not sure what good a tune will REALLY benefit in the top end of this engine.

All that said though, with a good set of tires and air density, you can still get this car into the high 13s in the 1/4 mile. So it's doing something right!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine is being shipped out today. :laugh2:

I had enough points that my shipping ended up being free. I got it shipped for $187.

Once I save a little more, I will call Orange Virus for a tune. I wanted to get the intake on first. It will simplify the tuning process.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am interested in hearing it. Although I see there are sounds in that video, I'd like to hear sounds from inside. I can't really tell if the sound was just edited in for that video.

This is exciting, though.
Yeah, after watching the video a few times I'm wishing they didnt have music layered in. Makes it hard to hear the intake and bov. IMO arguably the BOV sound is a bit aggressive, but I agree, would be nice to hear it in person and in the cabin.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just installed mine, the turbo hiss and bypass valve noise is much more subtle than it was when I installed one in a friend's Mazdaspeed3. It's definitely not as loud as the video would have you believe. I had to have to windows down to really hear it as when I had the windows up, any sounds are barely there and are easily drowned out by the motor and road noise. As for power gains, I imagine the ecu will need some time to adjust so it feels pretty much the same as it did prior to the install. The engine does seem to be a little more free revving however.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just installed mine, the turbo hiss and bypass valve noise is much more subtle than it was when I installed one in a friend's Mazdaspeed3. It's definitely not as loud as the video would have you believe. I had to have to windows down to really hear it as when I had the windows up, any sounds are barely there and are easily drowned out by the motor and road noise. As for power gains, I imagine the ecu will need some time to adjust so it feels pretty much the same as it did prior to the install. The engine does seem to be a little more free revving however.
So was it worth it? Does the car sound a little more aggressive?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It definitely makes the car sound more aggressive with the turbo sounds. But I really need to drive it around and let the ECU relearn everything before I can form any opinions. But for as inexpensive as this kit was and how easy it was to install, I definitely have no regrets so far.

Also, some have chimed in that they won't get one until they make a cold air version. And I'd never get an SRI except for turbocharged motors that have front mount intercoolers like our Mazdas do. On an NA motor, for sure I'd only invest in a cold air intake as you'd lose power and efficiency with a short ram setup because the hot air in the engine bay is sucked directly into the motor. But on a turbo motor, all that hot air passes through an intercooler that significantly reduces intake air temps before it blows into the intake manifold, that it really makes no significant difference between having a cold air or short ram intake.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It definitely makes the car sound more aggressive with the turbo sounds. But I really need to drive it around and let the ECU relearn everything before I can form any opinions. But for as inexpensive as this kit was and how easy it was to install, I definitely have no regrets so far.

Also, some have chimed in that they won't get one until they make a cold air version. And I'd never get an SRI except for turbocharged motors that have front mount intercoolers like our Mazdas do. On an NA motor, for sure I'd only invest in a cold air intake as you'd lose power and efficiency with a short ram setup because the hot air in the engine bay is sucked directly into the motor. But on a turbo motor, all that hot air passes through an intercooler that significantly reduces intake air temps before it blows into the intake manifold, that it really makes no significant difference between having a cold air or short ram intake.
Ah yes. That is a good point. Thank you for reminding me

·
Registered
189 Posts
So was it worth it? Does the car sound a little more aggressive?

Went by the dealership today to check it out. Definitely sounds more aggressive under heavier throttle. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely sounds good!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Went by the dealership today to check it out. Definitely sounds more aggressive under heavier throttle. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely sounds good!
Yea, it's pretty subtle in both volume and sound. You have to listen for it to notice. But I think for the long term, that's good as a loud bpv and turbo hiss might get annoying after the first couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You ever get your OV tune? I decided to wait until I got the intake before I thought about getting mine but I am hearing nothing about 2.5 turbo tune other than what I've gotten from Matt in emails.

Yea, it's pretty subtle in both volume and sound. You have to listen for it to notice. But I think for the long term, that's good as a loud bpv and turbo hiss might get annoying after the first couple hundred miles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts