Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Corksport has introduced an exhaust system for the 16+ CX-9 AWD models and it's likely a good reference point for what to expect from them for an eventual version for the 18 Mazda 6 Turbo. Aside from the sticker shock, not sure if I'm a fan of the exhaust note but it does sound nice at startup.

https://youtu.be/eBPiEQxaXXg

·
Registered
55 Posts
i had a custom 3" catback no mufflers and the 2nd cat deleted and I love it no rask nice and deep growl best $300 ever spent lol

·
Banned
703 Posts
Looks like Corksport has introduced an exhaust system for the 16+ CX-9 AWD models and it's likely a good reference point for what to expect from them for an eventual version for the 18 Mazda 6 Turbo. Aside from the sticker shock, not sure if I'm a fan of the exhaust note but it does sound nice at startup.

https://youtu.be/eBPiEQxaXXg
AWD models? Why wouldn't this fit on FWD?

it sounds alright I guess. Not worth the money. With turbo engines your best bet is to remove as much restriction you can close to the turbo, which in this car would be installing a downpipe. Not sure if anyone is making one for the 2.5T yet, but It wouldn't be very expensive to custom fabricate. Plus if you get an ECU tune you will see some very generous gains when going catless. Obviously this is an issue for some people such as you who live in California, so in that case your best bet would be to delete the second cat and just install some sort of high-flow axle-back. My biggest problem with this Corksport exhaust aside from price is the shape of the aftermarket muffler. This exhaust gets rid of the big bubbly looking stock muffler which is purposely shaped that way to improve aerodynamics underneath the car.

Now, Mazda's muffler looks very similar in design to BMW's, and I am willing to bet that the internals are the same. This muffler features two Hemholtz resonators inside which essentially fine-tune the exhaust sound by filtering out unwanted droning/sounds without affecting overall exhaust flow or making the car sound annoying. It's popular over in the BMW forum to cut open this muffler and replace the perforated piping inside with a metal straight-pipe essentially making a straight-through design that will sound louder yet not be annoying. This along with a second cat delete should be the perfect sound if you are concerned about emissions and don't want to delete your primary cat. Take a look at this thread here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819125
i had a custom 3" catback no mufflers and the 2nd cat deleted and I love it no rasp nice and deep growl best $300 ever spent lol
Had? So what is your current setup? So there are no sensors for the second cat, right? You did not get any sort of lights when deleting it? Do you have any exhaust clips of this setup?

·
Registered
55 Posts
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819125
i had a custom 3" catback no mufflers and the 2nd cat deleted and I love it no rasp nice and deep growl best $300 ever spent lol
Had? So what is your current setup? So there are no sensors for the second cat, right? You did not get any sort of lights when deleting it? Do you have any exhaust clips of this setup?
my bad i currently still have the setup i have 3" piping from the front axel back with 0 muffler or resonators,and no the 2nd cat is not monitored and did not set off any lights by removing it.I will take a few clips and then post them once i get it back from R&D development in cali

·
Banned
703 Posts
my bad i currently still have the setup i have 3" piping from the front axel back with 0 muffler or resonators,and no the 2nd cat is not monitored and did not set off any lights by removing it.I will take a few clips and then post them once i get it back from R&D development in cali
Awesome, Thanks!

3" exhaust is not recommended for less than 300HP. You will lose power. Since the turbo engine has 310ft/lb of torque should be fine though.

I always recommend to have at least one resonator in your exhaust system. They help to filter out unwanted droning and frequencies with a minimal effect on overall exhaust flow. Resonators do exactly what the name suggests - resonate the exhaust flow. It creates a type of turbulence within your exhaust flow (call it a form of back-pressure if you will) that actually helps to increase exhaust flow, especially at low RPM's where the exhaust air is not flowing freely yet. Plus I think it helps give the exhaust tone a unique, filtered sound.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AWD models? Why wouldn't this fit on FWD?
I would think that the exhaust piping would be bent differently to clear the AWD drivetrain such as the transfer case, driveshaft and the rear differential pumpkin which aren't there and in the way on our FWD only cars. And the bends appear to be right by where the two pieces connect in the front and rear near by the front xfer case and the rear diff. Either way, it still costs more than I'd ever pay for a regular polished SS exhaust. At that price, I'd expect a lighter weight titanium material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts