Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to run a tad bit of boost over stock so it's time to upgrade my dp. Is anyone running this dp? How's the performance gains over stock? Construction? Ease of install? I heard folks say the design is poor because it has two separate pipes. I would go with the other DPs' but the CS is the only one that will hook up to the second cat. Because of the environmental tree huggers in VA, I need a dp that will allow me to pull the cat in and out for the time when inspection rolls around. I would go for the "hook-up" but that's that would be too much headaches to deal with when they run out.

Another solution I was thinking is getting a full length DP and having a custom exhaust shop refabricate it so the second cat will fit. Good idea or fail idea? Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
You know that second cat doesn't come into play with emissions, right? As long as you have a catted DP you should pass fine. Do you crawl up under your car and check that an 06-7 MS6 should have a second cat under there? Damn, I thought MA was rough giving me shit for my OBD port, lol.

EDIT: Do they actually test emissions in your tailpipes in VA still?? Everywhere I know goes via the ECU, so the second cat doesn't come into play. Oh, and CrlsnMS6 has a full CS TB exhaust... he loves it. I was in his car about a month back... sounded great, and car is quick! I'm not 100% about the cbe section, but iirc it's all CS.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
don't you have to cut away a little bit of it or grind it down so that it mates up to the turbo properly?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I copied off the exhaust section of the VA DMV inspection checklist. It's very vague on the requirements. I was hoping someone from VA would shed some light if the removal of the second cat would fail me. No they don't do any tailpipe sniffing.

14. – INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR:​

• Exhaust line-manifold, gaskets, pipes, mufflers, connections, etc.
  • Leakage of gases at any point from motor to point discharged from system.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i have one, its nice, and no its not easy to install, just like any other dp

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
you wont pass emissions with the CS DP cause its catless, you will throw a code, otherwise its a great DP but i would look for a catted DP like CPE or ATP.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
548 Posts
you wont pass emissions with the CS DP cause its catless, you will throw a code, otherwise its a great DP but i would look for a catted DP like CPE or ATP.

well, every party needs a pooper....

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Ouch. Lots of misinformation in here.
My setup is:
CS DP ---> TXS RP ---> CS CBE
There's nothing wrong with a divorced WG design like CS uses in their DP. Supposedly, separating the turbine and WG exhaust streams creates less turbulence. Whatever. But, it doesn't hurt to have it.
Also, they include a O2 sensor standoff that prevents MILs. I've had my DP for 2 years, and never a MIL.
The one true downside is it's catless. But, CS DOES sell a high flow cat race pipe that replaces the second cat...

Reactions: triplejumper18

·
Registered
164 Posts
We don't have to pass Smog or Emissions here only a visual Safety inspection or whatever they call it. My 94 Mustang comes with 4 cats stock and i put on a 2 Cat H pipe so i lost 2 and they didn't give me any problems. I am also looking into a DP in the near future and i'm thinking the same way you are on things.

I will be doing Inspection here very very soon on the Speed seeing as it says 10/10 on the Sticker. I will say some places act like they are the GOVT and can make the rules. I for instance had a problem getting my bike passed cause of the turn signals!

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I'm catless. My county also includes a visual inspection. No sniffer. Though, I think Houston has more strict standards.
Anyway, I just got a passed inspection a month ago. Where there's a will, there's a way! ...and an extra $20 bill. LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
i got a high flow welded on my dp and removed my secondary, still pass nazifornia smog. if you need tips with the dp install holla, i got mine off and on by myself without rocking the engine ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
We don't have to pass Smog or Emissions here only a visual Safety inspection or whatever they call it. My 94 Mustang comes with 4 cats stock and i put on a 2 Cat H pipe so i lost 2 and they didn't give me any problems. I am also looking into a DP in the near future and i'm thinking the same way you are on things.
That's more of the lines I was thinking about the exhaust inspection. I expected they would look more into smog purposes since we are a tree-hugging commonwealth, but that's not the case here. I haven't lived here too long here to know what actually goes down in one. I assume they do only the visual inspection for exhaust leaks so there won't be any asphyxiation. If that's the case, I'm now leaning towards a full length DP (most likely ATP), but geez it's so pricey. The CS DP is not that expensive. Decisions decisions...Thanks for all the input fellas.

I'm catless. My county also includes a visual inspection. No sniffer. Though, I think Houston has more strict standards.
Anyway, I just got a passed inspection a month ago. Where there's a will, there's a way! ...and an extra $20 bill. LOL
I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm from El Paso where 40 bucks was a guaranteed pass on inspection. I miss those days. :(

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree it's almost tempting to just swap it out once a year. Then again we just would dread that one day when we would have to do it. In all actuality and im saying this from my mustang. The High flow cats and running no cats has literally maybe 1-2 hp difference and obviously sound. I don't see it making that huge of a difference on our cars. I think i am with you on this one and will just go with a High flow catted DP.

Reactions: IHeartGroceries
1 - 15 of 15 Posts