Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems I am the chosen one to beta test the Corksport axle back exhaust. They boxed it up and shipped it out yesterday, so I should see it in a week. I will post updates and pics on here as soon as it gets installed.

Very [email protected]#ing excited. Can't wait for next Thursday!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lucky guy, let us know how the install is, I haven't gotten a chance yet to see the underside of the car and gauge how easy the exhaust install will be

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lucky

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow, great news. I hope it is reasonable mellow (I have no prior experience with corksport/mazda vehicles so don't know what to expect)

my other vehicle is a '05 Tiburon 4cyl and several years ago installed a evofusion exhaust. it sounds great for a 4, no rice at all, but it is far too booming inside the car b/w 45 and 65mph. the mufflers are longer tube style.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Very cool, let us know how it looks/sounds. My guess it will be similar to the CX-5 version.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Received, installed, happy.

Got it yesterday, put it on this morning. Very simple. Great sound. Hope to post a video soon.

Attachments

Reactions: PRiiCeLeSS

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nice! Did CS give any indication on price/release date?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking they are going to take their time with this after the problems they had with the SRI. I'm a guinea pig, and I know it, and it worries me... Good times.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Video!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I will do some better video, as soon as I can get someone decent to shoot it. You may have noticed that I have not said anything about power. I will be honest, I don't notice a difference at all. So if I am only getting 5 -10hp, that seems realistic. Honestly, I don't care, the sound is incredible. The weight comparison to the stock exhaust is a major upside if you care about that sort of thing. I will say it is at least 10lbs lighter than stock. That was the first thing my mechanic pointed out, how lightweight it is compared to stock.

Installation is simple. Removing the old exhaust is probably done best with 2 people because of the weight. Unbolt the two bolts at the flange, then remove it from the four hangers. The CorkSport exhaust is even easier since it is only two hangers, thanks to the weight and size reduction. Simply attach the two hangers, and bolt the two bolts on. Done. Since it was installed at a Mazda dealer, the manager wouldn't let me into the shop to take photos. Douche.

I did get one opportunity to go full throttle today. But it was against a Chevy pick up. Of course, I live in a rural area where everybody mods their pickups, so this teenage ******* thought his pickup could take me. Blew him away, but honestly, the car is quick enough stock that it could've taken him, maybe. So maybe this exhaust is giving me a little power...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would love for a nice G37 sound, that car probably has one of my favorite stock exhausts. I'm not sure if I wanna invest in a new exhaust (depending on how well this one this) or save up for some rims/tires.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm with you on the sound of the G37 coupe factory exhaust. I have a 2010 G37x coupe, and I'm considering selling within the next year for some type of SUV since my other ride is now a 2014 Mazda 6 GT. I think the exhaust note is what I'll miss most, and the RWD biased AWD.

I'm waiting to hear what Racing Beat's axleback sounds like, as it's already on the market and looks badass, just waiting for video and sound clip. Apparently $380 plus shipping from California to Maryland, in my case. Probably close to $500 delivered, though I've heard $470 gets it half way across the country. I'm not sure how Corksport stacks up to Racing Beat exhausts in quality or sound. Maybe the couple of members who have the Racing Beat in their hands can comment on weight compared to factory from axle back after they install it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is quite subjective, but the exhaust seems fairly mild from inside the vehicle, right?

I guess what I am concerned of is potential loud resonation or vibration similar to what I get on my 4cyl Tiburon with the two long tube style mufflers when in the mid-range RPMs.

thanks for any info

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know this is quite subjective, but the exhaust seems fairly mild from inside the vehicle, right?

I guess what I am concerned of is potential loud resonation or vibration similar to what I get on my 4cyl Tiburon with the two long tube style mufflers when in the mid-range RPMs.

thanks for any info
That was my question as well. From the video, it seems pretty sedate inside, which is a plus in my book. I swapped the muffler out on my last car to update the exhaust and the thing was just obnoxious inside. Looked and sounded great outside, but annoyed the crap out of me inside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also, from the pictures you posted here compared to the ones that kylekap19 posted in his thread - I think I like the double walled look of the Corksport better than the rolled look of the Racing Beat. Both are great looking and sounding, but I think the Corksport is going to be the winner for me...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I agree that the CorkSport exhaust is the more attractive exhaust. Right now, this being a prototype, it seems to be a CX-5 exhaust with a longer pipe, so fitment is not perfect, but it is damn close. That's one of the things I will be working with CorkSport about. I'm really impressed that it clears the hitch I have installed. As far as the sound goes, it can be loud. Like booming loud. Like you can't hear the person sitting next to you loud. But it's not constant. At wot, it is not bad at all. I put over 100 miles on it yesterday, and neither myself or my 3 passengers complained about it. Also, I made a comment about no noticeable power gain. I can happily say that I was mistaken. The easiest way to explain the gain is to say that driving around with 3 passengers & the air conditioning on max is like driving around solo with the air off. But there is a definite loss of mpg's, but how much I have yet to gauge. It seems to be about 3mpg. But then again, I am driving a lot faster than I was. Damn I love the sound!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to post an update for anyone that may browse this thread. I've added the Corksport SRI to my car today. Initial impression is that it has smoothed out power delivery to the car. Throttle response does seem slightly quicker, noticeable at least. And cruising seems easier. Right now I can tell the car is still trying to figure it out. It's requiring me to nearly floor it to get it to downshift. But from experience with the exhaust, I know it will take a little time for the car to adjust. Fuel mileage on both pieces will be tested in a week when I travel to Orlando, FL. I'm hoping to at least match the 38mpg I got last year on the trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts