Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:swearin: I've got an 04 mazda6 2.3.I'm driving 200 miles a day 6 days a week.Got 90878 miles on it now and the last couple of weeks after getting to work i"ve noticed an antifreeze smell in the engine bay not in the car(ruling out heater core).I've lookedall over the motor and radiator and cant find it . Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ill look into your owners manual(if you have one) and see what it says for routine maintance for your car.(just in case)dont want to have forgotten something simple. you know... I would look at replaceing your healter core(if you can)and other hoses or try too track down ehere the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill look into your owners manual(if you have one) and see what it says for routine maintance for your car.(just in case)dont want to have forgotten something simple. you know... I would look at replaceing your healter core(if you can)and other hoses or try too track down ehere the leak is coming from.
[/b]
I'looked every where and no luck.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ill look into your owners manual(if you have one) and see what it says for routine maintance for your car.(just in case)dont want to have forgotten something simple. you know... I would look at replaceing your healter core(if you can)and other hoses or try too track down ehere the leak is coming from. [/b]
Huh..?? how are routine maint. and replacing a heater core even remotely related? And I've never seen procedures for troubleshooting coolant leaks in the owners manual except for the general catch-all "consult your dealer" advice. Also if you even read the original post the smell is NOT in the car, which it usually would be if the heater core were leaking.

as to the OP's question: there are so many potential places a small leak could develop its difficult to suggest any one in particular obviously its small enough as to not be dripping on the ground and just being evaporated by the heat of whatever it's dripping on, so the best thing I can suggest is to carefully look over the engine, hose connections, radiator core for any signs of water leakage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh..?? how are routine maint. and replacing a heater core even remotely related? And I've never seen procedures for troubleshooting coolant leaks in the owners manual except for the general catch-all "consult your dealer" advice. Also if you even read the original post the smell is NOT in the car, which it usually would be if the heater core were leaking.

as to the OP's question: there are so many potential places a small leak could develop its difficult to suggest any one in particular obviously its small enough as to not be dripping on the ground and just being evaporated by the heat of whatever it's dripping on, so the best thing I can suggest is to carefully look over the engine, hose connections, radiator core for any signs of water leakage.
[/b]
I've been all over the car. It also has never dripped onto the splash gaurd.Just hoping that maybe someone had a similar problem and could help.thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been all over the car. It also has never dripped onto the splash gaurd.Just hoping that maybe someone had a similar problem and could help.thanks
[/b]
I have had the same problem also. I have smelled the coolant from the engine bay, but not in the car. There are no leaks whats so ever. My husband just changed the oil, he didn't see anything. Also my car has 26,600 miles on it. I haven't taken it in to the dealership either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had the same problem also. I have smelled the coolant from the engine bay, but not in the car. There are no leaks whats so ever. My husband just changed the oil, he didn't see anything. Also my car has 26,600 miles on it. I haven't taken it in to the dealership either.
[/b]
Ok i've got an idea. the next chance your husband get to look under the car with splash gaurd removed have him look at the passenger side radiator hose it drops down from the top of the radiator and runs along the bottom of the radiator there is a piece of steel pipe(a sleeve) with a support bracket bolted on ...mine looks corroded. Today my wife bought me a mirror with an extension handle on it so when i get to work in the morning i can take a flashlight and that mirror and see if its wet looking with out taking the splash gaurd off

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a similar problem with my dads 2001 montana. I could smell the coolant when i was around the car but not while i was in the car and it turned out to be a worn out radiator cap. It was spring loaded with a rubber gasket that wore out and allowed the evaporated water/coolant mixture to escape.

Check your your rad cap after an extended drive and to check for steam escaping from it. If there is, replace it and give your radiator system a flush or at the least top up the coolant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts